Mixed Advise Needed (multiple topics)
Jan 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

zachw01

New Head-Fier
Okay guys, I'm almost completely sure that I'm in the wrong place to ask all of these different questions, so please forgive me, this is gonna be a long one.

I am basically new to high quality headphones and am in the market for a pair. I plan on using them heavily with my computer (gaming and music) and have come to realize that I will probably want to use them for when I go to school or just general portable use. I am basically looking for a nice pair of headphones for ~$100 that can be used as i guess general use.

As of a few days ago I got 3 pairs of headphones that I am comparing: Sennheiser HD 280 pro, Grado sr80i, and Sennheiser HD 515. I have tried comparing them since I'v had them and have so far determined that I think the 515s are my least favorite, they seem muffled compared to the other two. I want to like the Grados because I think having a pair of Grados would be badass haha, but that's besides the point. At the moment I am leaning towards the Grados because they seem brighter than the 280s, they are very crisp. The 280s seem darker, but have more bass than the Grados. However, I have an untrained ear and do not know exactly what I am listening for. I am starting to see the differences in the sr80s and the 280s which is helping me listen better, but I still don't have a full understanding of how to detect the minute details. For example, soundstage, maybe it is due to a lack of understanding of what the soundstage is, but I don't know how to compare them. Basically any kind of tips for listening, like what kind of details to look for to determine a good soundstage or just listening tips in general would be great.

I apologize for sounding so elementary in my ways of explaining and asking these questions, like I said, I'm new to all of this.

Now in an attempt to keep it somewhat on topic to the subforum I'm posting in, back to the first paragraph. Are there any other headphones you could recommend for ~$100 that would fit the above criteria that are open ear, but don't bleed as much as the sr80s (or can you recommend mods for the sr80s that will help the bleeding issue)

My deepest apologies if this is just entirely too much to put into just one post. And thank you for your comments/advise 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back