Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!
Dec 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #499 of 601
Sorry about your moldy box. Contact Massdrop and they will give you the option to refund the MJ2, or give a $20 credit to your form of payment.

I took the $20, but since the box in question is designed to be a case, I tried cleaning it with soap and water and was able to lighten the spotty mold, but I wish I knew of a way to completely clean it off because it bugs me. All my other headphones have box cases (except the AKG Annies, which was really cheap of AKG to not do for a special edition product), so I want to use it for storage to go along with my other seven headphones. I’m thinking of buying some foam lining and just gluing it to the bottom and sides to hide the mold.

Thanks for the info on the massdrop credit/refund.
I think the mold will grow, you have to kill it.

The included chart is not detailed:
earphonia.com_Mitchell_Johnson_MJ2_3.jpg

mitchell-and-johnson-mj2-headphone-review

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #501 of 601
The headphone cable is microphonic. Anybody can recommend a replacement?
This headphone is tricky. The wiring is designed to automatically detect right and left. That’s why there’s no designated R and L.
I had mine shipped straight from MD to David Choy at Triton Audio Cables. The intention was to make a balanced cable. He tested them and made me one but the headphone behaved strangely. There’s a description from me somewhere here. When the balanced cable worked it sounded heavenly.
Since you want a regular cable you could talk to David because he knows the wiring quirks of the MJ2. I’m sure he can make you a non microphonic cable.

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #502 of 601
The headphone cable is microphonic. Anybody can recommend a replacement?
This headphone is tricky. The wiring is designed to automatically detect right and left. That’s why there’s no designated R and L.
I had mine shipped straight from MD to David Choy at Triton Audio Cables. The intention was to make a balanced cable. He tested them and made me one but the headphone behaved strangely. There’s a description from me somewhere here. When the balanced cable worked it sounded heavenly.
Since you want a regular cable you could talk to David because he knows the wiring quirks of the MJ2. I’m sure he can make you a non microphonic cable.

It's a pretty straightforward wiring setup, there's no automatic detection. Both sides are simply wired for stereo - you could use it as an AUX splitter cable, if you ever needed one. This means that it doesn't matter what is plugged where, but it also means that there is an unnecessary wire running to each side of the headphone.

Though straightforward, it's also the only headphone I've encountered that uses this wiring - which makes sense, given that there's extra wire needed, extra connections needed, and TRS connectors are more expensive than TS connectors. This means that unless a cable specifically says it's for this headphone model, it will not work, even if it looks like it will. Often people will use TRS connectors as TS connectors for headphones, but they aren't wiring them in this abnormal way.

Anyone who makes headphone cables should be able to make you a new cable, these are the specifications:
3.5mm TRS connectors, wired just like stereo:
Right side wired R(+), S(-)
Left side wired T(+), S(-)
And they should use a connector that has a little extension in order to plug into the cup (basically, don't use the standard Rean 3.5mm plug).

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #503 of 601
Thanks guys for cable info.

Im waiting to hear back from massdrop. Im currently leaning towards return. That 1Hz area peak is a bit irritating and probable deal breaker. The highbass roll off is acceptable and like I said a different flavor/niche in my collection. I could eq as another said but I dont want the hassle. I ended up listenening quite a bit more lastnight and after awhile felt my ears having that grado-esque ear fatigue: eardrums burning sensation. That 1kHz peak I think. And for resolution it sounds on par with my 58X. I cant say though if its detailed because that boosted freq response, close driver distance, or if its a wierd doubling of sound sources (overlapping dynamic and electret) that maybe makes some things sound extra textured and some interesting soundstaging. Dont know. I would have to A/B with notes on that but too lazy and not too interested in the MJ2 now. Putting back on my 58X is a relief. Ill give MJ2 another listen later while I await massdrop support.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #504 of 601
If anyone finds a builder to make a new cable and it works as it should, please post. Not a fan of the stock cable.

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #505 of 601

Im waiting to hear back from massdrop. Im currently leaning towards return. That 1Hz area peak is a bit irritating and probable deal breaker. The highbass roll off is acceptable and like I said a different flavor/niche in my collection. I could eq as another said but I dont want the hassle. I ended up listenening quite a bit more lastnight and after awhile felt my ears having that grado-esque ear fatigue: eardrums burning sensation. That 1kHz peak I think. And for resolution it sounds on par with my 58X. I cant say though if its detailed because that boosted freq response, close driver distance, or if its a wierd doubling of sound sources (overlapping dynamic and electret) that maybe makes some things sound extra textured and some interesting soundstaging. Dont know. I would have to A/B with notes on that but too lazy and not too interested in the MJ2 now. Putting back on my 58X is a relief. Ill give MJ2 another listen later while I await massdrop support.

When I auditioned the MJ2 I listened to it using my phone (LG V30 with Sabre "Quad DAC") and the Poweramp app with the "Rock" EQ. With EQ Off it didn't sound all that great, but on "Rock" it sounded amazing. Maybe try that? They JUST upgraded the official version to V3 FINALLY about a week ago. Lots of improvements, including Hi-Res Only Output (bypasses that crappy Snapdragon DAC lol), UI improvements, audio improvements, etc.

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #506 of 601

Wow, would never even consider the MJ2 sound similar to the Grado house sound. The MJ2 can sound forward in the midrange/upper midrange and rough. It leads to a pinched sounding soundstage. The range smooths out with looong break in. The resolution also increases when this goes away.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #508 of 601
@RockStar2005 I cant be bothered with eq, sorry. I am so lazy. I did try it though, I used "rock" eq preset on apple music and it helped.

@barondla Grado style ear fatigue.

@willsw I hit the Like.

Massdrop gave me three options: return, exchange, and credit. They have strengths I appreciate and blaring weaknesses I couldn't ignore.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #509 of 601
@RockStar2005 I cant be bothered with eq, sorry. I am so lazy. I did try it though, I used "rock" eq preset on apple music and it helped.

@barondla Grado style ear fatigue.

@willsw I hit the Like.

Massdrop gave me three options: return, exchange, and credit. They have strengths I appreciate and blaring weaknesses I couldn't ignore.

Ok. Glad it helped. I mean, you don't have to be bothered by it at all really. Just set it to "Rock" and forget it. lol

Though the "Rock" EQ on Apple Music may not be exactly like (or AS good as) the "Rock" EQ on Poweramp. Just something to consider.

Dec 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #510 of 601
Felt like making a cable so I made this for MJ2. I don't have an MJ2 to test it with but a multimeter says it's all good. PTFE-coated silver-plated copper.

Nice looking cable. If you need someone to confirm it works, I’m available. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back