1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by barondla, Dec 5, 2016.
First

Back
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last
  1. RockStar2005
    That's messed up. I would call Massdrop and bitch them out. lol

2. Stenso
    I think I will, I like them so far and the price was good, but this is a little annoying.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  3. RockStar2005
    Yeah. Just because you paid $99 doesn't mean that it's ok for the case to be moldy. lol

Was there any mold on the headphones? I hope not.

Chein likes this.
  4. Philimon
    Thanks for the info on the massdrop credit/refund.
    I think the mold will grow, you have to kill it.

The included chart is not detailed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Philimon
    The headphone cable is microphonic. Anybody can recommend a replacement?

RockStar2005 likes this.
  6. Sujay Rao
    This headphone is tricky. The wiring is designed to automatically detect right and left. That’s why there’s no designated R and L.
    I had mine shipped straight from MD to David Choy at Triton Audio Cables. The intention was to make a balanced cable. He tested them and made me one but the headphone behaved strangely. There’s a description from me somewhere here. When the balanced cable worked it sounded heavenly.
    Since you want a regular cable you could talk to David because he knows the wiring quirks of the MJ2. I’m sure he can make you a non microphonic cable.

Philimon likes this.
  7. willsw
    It's a pretty straightforward wiring setup, there's no automatic detection. Both sides are simply wired for stereo - you could use it as an AUX splitter cable, if you ever needed one. This means that it doesn't matter what is plugged where, but it also means that there is an unnecessary wire running to each side of the headphone.

Though straightforward, it's also the only headphone I've encountered that uses this wiring - which makes sense, given that there's extra wire needed, extra connections needed, and TRS connectors are more expensive than TS connectors. This means that unless a cable specifically says it's for this headphone model, it will not work, even if it looks like it will. Often people will use TRS connectors as TS connectors for headphones, but they aren't wiring them in this abnormal way.

Anyone who makes headphone cables should be able to make you a new cable, these are the specifications:
    3.5mm TRS connectors, wired just like stereo:
    Right side wired R(+), S(-)
    Left side wired T(+), S(-)
    And they should use a connector that has a little extension in order to plug into the cup (basically, don't use the standard Rean 3.5mm plug).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    barondla, jwbrent and Philimon like this.
  8. Philimon
    Thanks guys for cable info.

Im waiting to hear back from massdrop. Im currently leaning towards return. That 1Hz area peak is a bit irritating and probable deal breaker. The highbass roll off is acceptable and like I said a different flavor/niche in my collection. I could eq as another said but I dont want the hassle. I ended up listenening quite a bit more lastnight and after awhile felt my ears having that grado-esque ear fatigue: eardrums burning sensation. That 1kHz peak I think. And for resolution it sounds on par with my 58X. I cant say though if its detailed because that boosted freq response, close driver distance, or if its a wierd doubling of sound sources (overlapping dynamic and electret) that maybe makes some things sound extra textured and some interesting soundstaging. Dont know. I would have to A/B with notes on that but too lazy and not too interested in the MJ2 now. Putting back on my 58X is a relief. Ill give MJ2 another listen later while I await massdrop support.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  9. jwbrent
    If anyone finds a builder to make a new cable and it works as it should, please post. Not a fan of the stock cable.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  10. RockStar2005
    When I auditioned the MJ2 I listened to it using my phone (LG V30 with Sabre "Quad DAC") and the Poweramp app with the "Rock" EQ. With EQ Off it didn't sound all that great, but on "Rock" it sounded amazing. Maybe try that? They JUST upgraded the official version to V3 FINALLY about a week ago. Lots of improvements, including Hi-Res Only Output (bypasses that crappy Snapdragon DAC lol), UI improvements, audio improvements, etc.

Philimon likes this.
  11. barondla
    Wow, would never even consider the MJ2 sound similar to the Grado house sound. The MJ2 can sound forward in the midrange/upper midrange and rough. It leads to a pinched sounding soundstage. The range smooths out with looong break in. The resolution also increases when this goes away.

Philimon and RockStar2005 like this.
  12. willsw
    Felt like making a cable so I made this for MJ2. I don't have an MJ2 to test it with but a multimeter says it's all good. PTFE-coated silver-plated copper. 20181220_234908.jpg

13. Philimon
    @RockStar2005 I cant be bothered with eq, sorry. I am so lazy. I did try it though, I used "rock" eq preset on apple music and it helped.

@barondla Grado style ear fatigue.

@willsw I hit the Like.

Massdrop gave me three options: return, exchange, and credit. They have strengths I appreciate and blaring weaknesses I couldn't ignore.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  14. RockStar2005
    Ok. Glad it helped. I mean, you don't have to be bothered by it at all really. Just set it to "Rock" and forget it. lol

Though the "Rock" EQ on Apple Music may not be exactly like (or AS good as) the "Rock" EQ on Poweramp. Just something to consider.

15. jwbrent
    Nice looking cable. If you need someone to confirm it works, I’m available. :L3000:

barondla and RockStar2005 like this.
First

Back
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last