Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!
Dec 31, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #526 of 601
Hello,

I also got the MJ2 cans from Massdrop, and I've been listening with them for the last week or so - PC - USB to Schiit Yggdrasil, balanced out to Schiit Mjolnir 2. After 30 mins of listening there was a noticeable improvement in the sound, and after 4 hours, the listening got to the point that it was pleasant to listen to. After that, the burn in wasn't as noticeable for me, but is still continuing to improve. I guess I have just over 20 hours in total on them at the moment.

I think that if I had paid full retail price, I would have been disappointed. My Grado 325e is brighter, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro are comparable with the Massdrop price, are probably more comfortable, but not as resolving. I've also got a Grado GH2, which I feel are a bit better all round, however I've got a problem with one of the drivers, so I can't really compare them at the moment - plus comparing open and closed cans is quite subjective due to their nature.

While I feel the full price for them isn't worth it, they're not far off with the price/performance, and the Massdrop price just made it a no-brainer for me.

Yeah but you're comparing 3 OPEN-back headphones to a closed-back. Doesn't seem fair. lol

That's cool that you noticed a difference in only 4 hours.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #528 of 601
Headphone break-in tests:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/break-in
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

In these small tests
conclusions were that any changes were likely due to pad wear and/or reduced clamping force. Psychological is another matter.
I don't see in the Innerfidelity link where Tyl concludes that pad wear or clamp tension were the only cause of change. In conclusion he said
"While, it seems to me, much of the change observed could easily be due to movement, especially in the frequencies above 5kHz, some changes seem more likely due to break-in. In particular, the changes in frequency response around the fundamental resonance of the driver at 80Hz, and in %THD+noise at the same frequency and at around 40Hz."

It strikes me as illogical the drivers that have to move at extremely high speed to reproduce 20khz won't evidence break in, but the pads and headband tension will. Really?

Feb 5, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #530 of 601
Purchased a set of Dekoni Nuggets on the first Massdrop. Playing with them on the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2. They allow lots of different combinations. Anyone trying Nuggets on their headphones?

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #531 of 601
This one here are perfect for the MJ2. It's for Sennheiser HD25. Is thin and looks like made for it.

Sennheiser-HD25_Pads.jpg

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #537 of 601
Those look nice THX28! Great find. The Dekoni Nuggets also fit well. Each nugget is about the same with as the headband. 4 come in a pack. They use 3M double side tape to attach. The nuggets allow customizing the fit by number used and their position. They are thicker and will not be stealth looking like these strips. I'm still playing with # and positioning for favorite fit and comfort.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #538 of 601
These are really intriguing to me, not only because of the positive reviews, but also because of the odd technology in the first place, I'm inherently sympathetic towards stuff that takes a different approach. But the reviews aren't all positive, especially on build so I'm a bit hesitant and I'm not willing to pay the Amazon price for them (395 USD or something in Germany), and I've never dealt with Massdrop before. Does anyone know whether there will be another drop for them, and is joining drops from abroad as easy as it is for Americans?

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #539 of 601
These are really intriguing to me, not only because of the positive reviews, but also because of the odd technology in the first place, I'm inherently sympathetic towards stuff that takes a different approach. But the reviews aren't all positive, especially on build so I'm a bit hesitant and I'm not willing to pay the Amazon price for them (395 USD or something in Germany), and I've never dealt with Massdrop before. Does anyone know whether there will be another drop for them, and is joining drops from abroad as easy as it is for Americans?

I've never bought from Massdrop, but I've only heard good things about them. Not sure on their return policy though, so you might want to check on that before buying anything. However, when they had the MJ2 selling for only $99, that was a pretty awesome deal! I did hear a few ppl say their MJ2 they'd bought from them had mold on the box or something, but I don't think that was everyone. And that was the only time I'd heard anything negative about them that I can recall.

When I had mine, it was a USED MJ2, and one of the headband adjusters was kinda loose. But I'm sure if I'd bought it new that wouldn't have happened as I'm pretty careful with things and probably wouldn't have adjusted it much at all after first doing so. I thought it sounded amazing, but I was comparing it to the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro that I'd just bought, and that was just better, but also cost more too (bought it new). So I returned the MJ2. But if I wanted a more portable headphone for traveling with than the 1770, the MJ2 would be my first choice for sure. I'd just make sure to buy it new. lol

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #540 of 601
This headphone has been dropping like crazy on MD. You can bet there’ll be several drops.
My only grouse with MD is the tendency to dumb down a product to bring it into a price range. Koss EP950, for eg. No battery.
Also some of their listings have very poor spec info (the wooden hip flask DAP on drop now). Get specific info on warranty and returns.
I’ve bought a ton of stuff from MD. Never had any issues so far.
BTW, I have had these cans for some time, being jostled around in my backpack. Build is great. Prepare for really long burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back