1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by barondla, Dec 5, 2016.
First

Back
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
  1. RockStar2005
    Oh ok. Yeah I took a look at those as well. The S 815 looks pretty nice. Don't think I'd need a pre-amp (S 800) though. But yeah I'd keep them in mind if and when my Denon goes bad, though the price seems pretty high. lol I bought my Denon AVR-1612 in 2012 for about $400-$500? Still going strong. The S 815 sells for like $1600. Prob pass. lol But the SAP-201V is like $388 on UK Amazon.

2. RockStar2005
    Ahh ok. So I have to make sure I get a tuner/receiver then like my Denon. Got it! Thanks!!

So I'd prob want something more like this, but it seems to be sold out everywhere. I'm gonna assume M&J are going to be putting out a updated tuner/receiver too?

3. Jobbing
    re Tuner/receiver:
    Not necessarily (I prefer separate components and active speakers, to each his own) but you'll need to dig a bit deeper on that one if you're really interested.

re M&J models:
    the 800 series is their TOTL and by far the most affordable compared to competitive products with those kind of specs, components and materials used.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  4. RockStar2005
    Yeah I have the Denon receiver and my speakers are the Take Energy Classic 5.1. I'm very happy with them. Sound and look great! They come with a dedicated subwoofer included as well, which I really like cuz it's common knowledge that dedicated is ALWAYS better than integrated. Yeah the sub requires its own power source, but if the sound quality is gonna be better for it, then F it? What's one more outlet for better audio?! :L3000:

Yeah at that price it better be their TOTL!! lol

That's cool. Looks really nice!

5. RockStar2005
    Only thing is I prob won't buy Denon again because I feel like they make the setup too complicated. I know I'm def NOT the only person who thinks that. lol

6. HungryPanda
    Strange old world, I live in the UK (for now) and always buy Onkyo receivers for my home cinema needs

Stenso and RockStar2005 like this.
  7. RockStar2005
    My cousin bought an Onkyo receiver and loved it. I however bought one and it had issues (would auto-turn off whenever I'd raise the volume even a little bit high), so I returned it. May have just been that particular model or maybe I just had a defective device? Who knows. lol

8. ehjie
    How are they? (pics, plz)

9. HungryPanda
    RockStar2005 and trellus like this.
  10. RockStar2005
  11. CJG888
    I gave up on my GL2SE out of the box. Veiled treble and boomy, uncontrolled bass bleeding heavily into the midrange. I put them in a drawer after a few hours’ use.

After reading this thread I’ve had them on burn-in for a full week (ongoing), and a new cable (Hybrid Series) from Forza AudioWorks will be arriving by the end of the week (hopefully). We shall see if they have any potential...

I will be driving them with an Audio-gd SA31SE, which has a low output impedance and plenty of power (and a high damping factor). Everything is stacked in the GL2s’ favour.

12. ehjie
    The dealer owner from Florida himself mentioned 70 hours "burn-in" or aging period for the JP1s. i Upgraded the pads to a pair of STPad2 from Yaxi. im using an AK240 as DAP...

13. CJG888
    Well, the cable from FAW has arrived, and the GL2SE have had about 2 weeks‘ continuous burn-in. First of all, I tried them on the big rig (with the modified Consonance tube amp). And....meh! Veiled treble, boomy bass. Then I tried the SA-31, and everything opened up. They have a bigger soundstage than the HD600s, and fantastic upper midrange transparency. Basically, tubes are a no-go with these. They appear to be extremely sensitive to output impedance, and the Cyber 20‘s 10 Ohms clearly don’t help...
    I’ll be leaving them in my solid-state rig for some time, I suspect.

barondla and trellus like this.
  14. CJG888
    Tried them again with the Cyber 20 today, after a thorough warm-up. Same conclusion: Zout needs to be less than 1 Ohm.

Very, very good out of the Chord Mojo! I may get Matt from FAW to make me a short 3.5mm cable...

barondla and trellus like this.
First

Back
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37