Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!
Nov 2, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #406 of 601
Haven't heard the MJ1. Others say they are more forward balanced (sort of Grado like) than any other Mitchell & Johnson. One recommended running 4db bass boost and 2-4db treble cut to get to a flat response. One of my daps has no eq capability, other will only eq 16-44.1 and lower resolution. Having a lot of hi res files caused me to skip tye MJ1. I would probably wait to see if the MJ2 come up again on Massdrop. They are very nicely balanced for classical & jazz.

Thanks for the insight! I thought the Headfonia review stated it's less forward than the MJ2s and warmer than them, unless I misunderstood? Regardless, under $100? I may pick them up anyway and grab the MJ2's as well when they decide to reappear!

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #407 of 601
Thanks for the insight! I thought the Headfonia review stated it's less forward than the MJ2s and warmer than them, unless I misunderstood? Regardless, under $100? I may pick them up anyway and grab the MJ2's as well when they decide to reappear!
Interesting review. Don't think I've seen it before. This reviewer paints a little different picture than others have. May as well give them a go for the price. Just give them plenty of break in time.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #408 of 601

You might want to take up on the current Mitchell and Johnson offer for the MJ2’s (assuming that offer is still valid), give them a thorough break in time, then decide whether or not you're still interested in purchase the JP1 on MassDrop.

two years ago when the MJ2's were released I was about to do a comparison between the AKG 872 Pro and the MJ2’s (please do note the difference in price points!) when coincidentally Marcus beat me to it (see links below). I can underline his conclusions. The MJ2’s are certainly capable to fulfill your needs in the music genres you listen to and fill the caviats - if not replacing - the headphone you own now.
https://headfonics.com/2016/12/the-k872-by-akg/2/
https://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-mj2-by-mitchell-johnson/

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #409 of 601
So I got these in the mail today:
IMG_4468.jpeg

That's right, custom ear pads curtesy of Vesper Audio.
And holy moly, these are a colossal improvement on the stock ear pads.

These pads are made just big enough to fit my ears inside, so the MJ2 no longer rests on my ears but instead go around.
And the increase in comfort is a paradigm shift; before I could only wear the MJ2 for an hour before my ears hurt and now I can wear them all day long without discomfort.
They're angled slightly, filled with memory foam, black leather sides and cream/white/beige alcantara fronts.

Audible improvements?
Eeeh, I'm not the best judge really.
I like to think that the added air between the drivers and my ears help, but by the time I'd swapped pads I could no longer recall how they sounded before.

All I can say is that this is a highly recommended improvement with regards to comfort.
-and style, baby! :gs1000smile:

More pics:
IMG_4467.jpeg IMG_4470.jpeg
IMG_4471.jpeg

I know there is one big question on your mind right now.
Do they fold?
Yeah, baby!

IMG_4472.jpeg

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #411 of 601

These pads are made just big enough to fit my ears inside, so the MJ2 no longer rests on my ears but instead go around.
And the increase in comfort is a paradigm shift; before I could only wear the MJ2 for an hour before my ears hurt and now I can wear them all day long without discomfort.
They're angled slightly, filled with memory foam, black leather sides and cream/white/beige alcantara fronts.

Audible improvements?
I like to think that the added air between the drivers and my ears help, but by the time I'd swapped pads I could no longer recall how they sounded before.

All I can say is that this is a highly recommended improvement with regards to comfort.

More pics:

Do they fold?
Yeah, baby!

That's awesome Kitchener!!

So what were the exact measurements you gave them to use? If I had the MJ2s still I'd go with sheepskin leather. Do they offer that option as well?

I wonder if they'd still be "foldable" if they were non-angled? What you think Kitch??

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #412 of 601
That's awesome Kitchener!!

So what were the exact measurements you gave them to use? If I had the MJ2s still I'd go with sheepskin leather. Do they offer that option as well?

I wonder if they'd still be "foldable" if they were non-angled? What you think Kitch??

Yeah, easily.
The difference between the front and back is only 5mm; 20mm front, 25mm back.
Inside dimensions are 45x65mm.

I can't fathom why M&J didn't make them like this to begin with, baffling.

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #416 of 601
Yeah I don't really know what they offer besides "leather" and alcantara.
I just asked for leather, I'm a simple man, didn't bother asking for alternatives.

So far I've got brown leather pads for my Stax L500, black leather pads for my HE-560 and black/white for the MJ2.
All by Vesper, as it turns out. No affiliation! :dt880smile:

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #417 of 601
Yeah I don't really know what they offer besides "leather" and alcantara.
I just asked for leather, I'm a simple man, didn't bother asking for alternatives.

So far I've got brown leather pads for my Stax L500, black leather pads for my HE-560 and black/white for the MJ2.
All by Vesper, as it turns out. No affiliation! :dt880smile:

So I IM'd Vesper earlier and a bit later they responded and actually confirmed that they DO have sheepskin as well!! :L3000:

Oh how much were yours if you don't mind me asking?

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #418 of 601

Audible improvements?

More pics:

Do they fold?
Yeah, baby!

Beautiful looking pads. They look extremely comfortable. Thanks for sharing @Kitchener .

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #419 of 601
So I IM'd Vesper earlier and a bit later they responded and actually confirmed that they DO have sheepskin as well!! :L3000:

Oh how much were yours if you don't mind me asking?

No?! They do?!
Ah, curse me for not asking.
Well, maybe not, I quite like regular leather anyway.

I ordered two different pairs toghether; one for the MJ2 and one for my HE-560.
Both totalled at €128,50, don't know if one was more expensive than the other.
So €64,25 each?
-About $85

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #420 of 601
No?! They do?!
Ah, curse me for not asking.
Well, maybe not, I quite like regular leather anyway.

I ordered two different pairs toghether; one for the MJ2 and one for my HE-560.
Both totalled at €128,50, don't know if one was more expensive than the other.
So €64,25 each?
-About $85

Yeah they do. lol Well as long as the leather ones you got from there feel an improvement to the stock ones, then you still won out IMO.

Hmm ok. That's up there, but I guess since they're custom-made you have to figure they're gonna cost more. The Dekoni sheepskin ear pads I got for my Beyer DT 1770 Pro was about $60. Not custom-made, but still sheepskin leather. So $85 doesn't sound terrible really for what you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back