Mitchell & Johnson - Electrostatz, 2 way hybrid, Headphones Appreciation and Impressions Thread!
Sep 22, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #391 of 601
Thanks for the Stax closed back tip, @Jobbing . Hadn't seen those. Guessing they don't sound as open as other Stax and aren't as popular?

I need to check out some of those larger ear pads for the M&J. The stock pads aren't bothersome, but bigger might be even better.

Sep 22, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #392 of 601
Thanks for the Stax closed back tip, @Jobbing . Hadn't seen those. Guessing they don't sound as open as other Stax and aren't as popular?

The 4070 were designed and popular for studio monitoring, great with detail and incredible clarity/neutrality, obviously the soundstage is nothing close to the Sigmas for instance. Referring to my initial first impressions of the M&J hybrids including Stax pro versions, the Stax are full electrostats and are in a different ball park. M&J headphones however offer a great combination of today's technology with hybrid technology, a great sound at an extreme value for money price point.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #394 of 601
Look at these custom made pads by Vesper Audio. They don't list Mitchell & Johnson yet, but they should be able to build whatever is desired. Being custom, they aren't inexpensive. It is possible to pick material, type of foam, size of pads, color, etc.
https://vesperaudio.com/earpads

Vesper are great. I have a set for my Stax SR-L500 and I love them dearly.

I'm currently waiting for them to make me a set of custom earpads for my MJ2.
The goal is to get some earpads that go around my ears, not on like the stock pads.
Very excited to see if they can make them.

-they can take a while to reply though, as I understand they're currently working on setting up their new Paypal or something.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #395 of 601

The goal is to get some earpads that go around my ears, not on like the stock pads.

-they can take a while to reply though, as I understand they're currently working on setting up their new Paypal or something.

Nice! When they do, please post a pic here with them on your MJ2. It would be cool if you could still fold them in with the Vesper pads on.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #396 of 601

I would also like to see your finished pads @Kitchener . What materials did you pick for outer covering, foam, etc?

A person in another headphone thread ordered custom pads from Vesper Audio. They already made pads for his model, but he wanted something different. Ended up with black and red pads using two different materials. He had them make the inside cutouts 3mm bigger to give more ear room. They put pictures in their gallery. Cool development.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #397 of 601
I would also like to see your finished pads @Kitchener . What materials did you pick for outer covering, foam, etc?

A person in another headphone thread ordered custom pads from Vesper Audio. They already made pads for his model, but he wanted something different. Ended up with black and red pads using two different materials. He had them make the inside cutouts 3mm bigger to give more ear room. They put pictures in their gallery. Cool development.

I went with all black leather to cut down on costs and time since I'm also ordering new pads for my Hifiman HE-560.
Non-stock colors add the handling time and cost more (dark brown cost $18 extra for my Stax pads).

They were not familiar with the MJ2 so I had to send them a drawing of the earcup outlines with measurements.
Really great guys; you can get new pads for any headphones you might have!

Full specs for my MJ2 pads:
Angled, 20mm front and 25mm back.
Memory foam filling.
Black leather all over (I like leather on my face, okay)

We'll see in about three weeks time how they turn out :darthsmile:

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #398 of 601
I went with all black leather to cut down on costs and time since I'm also ordering new pads for my Hifiman HE-560.
Non-stock colors add the handling time and cost more (dark brown cost $18 extra for my Stax pads).

They were not familiar with the MJ2 so I had to send them a drawing of the earcup outlines with measurements.
Really great guys; you can get new pads for any headphones you might have!

Full specs for my MJ2 pads:
Angled, 20mm front and 25mm back.
Memory foam filling.
Black leather all over (I like leather on my face, okay)

We'll see in about three weeks time how they turn out :darthsmile:

Angled eh? Interesting. I'd prob get non-angled, but that's cool that you have both options to choose from!

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #399 of 601
Angled eh? Interesting. I'd prob get non-angled, but that's cool that you have both options to choose from!

Yes you can get anything your heart desires!
Since the cups don't swivel on the MJ2, I think an angled pad might fit my head a little better.
Time will tell.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #400 of 601
Hi, I'm new here :).
Massdrop has now reissued a drop on GL2 headphones for $70 : https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mitchell-and-johnson-gl2-headphones (available for 3 more days). EDIT: drop already inactive, the quantity was limited to 282 (I got one :) ).

I am especially interested in the opinions of people who disliked them (which avoids the conformation bias) - would they say that GL2 for 70 bucks is an OK option, even though they disliked them for 300 bucks?
And to everybody - I am considering them to compliment my open-back senns HD58x (which are yet under way), especially for on the go (like train or plane) purposes, but also to maybe extract some different feel from my music (mostly Metallica and lighter themes). Do you think it will cut it? The kinda new hybrid technology of itself is also a feat to me, but ultimately I am interested in enjoyable sound (for now they would be plugged mostly to an ASUS Xonar without additional amp).

Thanks in advance for your replies !

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #403 of 601
Living in the US, I've never had a chance to hear any of the Mitchell & Johnson components. They are now bringing their new 800 series to the US. A translated German reviewer is very positive about the components. Saying "...capable, dynamically playing power amp and completes the precursor to a very powerful, finely flowing and enormously playful hi-fi pre / end combo. Mitchell & Johnson 800 Series - a tonal highlight for discerning music lovers".

The 800 series was awarded the magazine's highest rating. Wish they had tested the preamp using Mitchell & Johnson headphones. Wondering if anyone here has listened to these components via speaker or headphones? If so, what is your impression.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #404 of 601
Massdrop is doing the MJ1 for 89.99!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mitchell-and-johnson-mj1-headphones#overview

After reading all 27 pages of this thread, I am ready to pull the trigger on them as I have been waiting patiently to cop a set for my jazz, blues, acoustic collection.

I current run k553 Pros as an EDC pair, movies, bass heavy music (EDM, Hip Hop), gaming. Shure SRH840s for more immersive (SRV, Clapton, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead) at home listening. Will the MJ1 be a good add to the collection to have a good enough 3 headphone set up for all types of music? I want as least of an overlap as possible so I can say "Deadmou5? K553. Bruce Springsteen? SRH840s. Miles Davis? MJ1?

Not sure if i'm looking for someone to approve the buy, or someone to talk me away from it. Help a brother out! =)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #405 of 601
Massdrop is doing the MJ1 for 89.99!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mitchell-and-johnson-mj1-headphones#overview

After reading all 27 pages of this thread, I am ready to pull the trigger on them as I have been waiting patiently to cop a set for my jazz, blues, acoustic collection.

I current run k553 Pros as an EDC pair, movies, bass heavy music (EDM, Hip Hop), gaming. Shure SRH840s for more immersive (SRV, Clapton, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead) at home listening. Will the MJ1 be a good add to the collection to have a good enough 3 headphone set up for all types of music? I want as least of an overlap as possible so I can say "Deadmou5? K553. Bruce Springsteen? SRH840s. Miles Davis? MJ1?

Not sure if i'm looking for someone to approve the buy, or someone to talk me away from it. Help a brother out! =)
Haven't heard the MJ1. Others say they are more forward balanced (sort of Grado like) than any other Mitchell & Johnson. One recommended running 4db bass boost and 2-4db treble cut to get to a flat response. One of my daps has no eq capability, other will only eq 16-44.1 and lower resolution. Having a lot of hi res files caused me to skip tye MJ1. I would probably wait to see if the MJ2 come up again on Massdrop. They are very nicely balanced for classical & jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back