Mister X is building me a Mini 3!
Aug 27, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #31 of 87
I did have a misterx pint. It is a great amp no doubt. I like this one better. As always, it's a matter of opinion. The DIY amps are all very good deals for the $$ nowadays.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #32 of 87
I'm suddenly very interested in the mini3...what other designs of amp does misterX make? Any better alternatives for a "home-only" amp?

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm suddenly very interested in the mini3...what other designs of amp does misterX make? Any better alternatives for a "home-only" amp?

Just send him a PM, he doesn't bite, often.
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #34 of 87
i like the mini3, heard it on my cousins ipod.
better then other pints.

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #35 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you haven't heard my PINT
wink.gif

fwiw, i did not like marshall's first XPs - it did not have the punch and bite that the PINT has. he built my PINT as well. i've not listened to a mini3 (yet)...i've ordered a go-vibe v7, which i understand is very similar to the mini3 (i could be wrong, but i read this somewhere)...

regardless, it's my opinion that these DIY amps rival, if not beat, many of the commercial amps out there. whichever you choose, it will be a great buy.

If I remember right one of my PINTs was very similar to yours. I can't say for sure since I sold my PINT quite some time ago but from memory the mini3 is the better amp. I hear more air and better treble detail while maintaining that same PINT punch.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #36 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember right one of my PINTs was very similar to yours. I can't say for sure since I sold my PINT quite some time ago but from memory the mini3 is the better amp. I hear more air and better treble detail while maintaining that same PINT punch.

hey dustin...yeah, i think our PINTs were similar - yours might even have been a bit better because there were some upgraded components, if i recall correctly.

that "PINT punch" is the AD8397, isn't it? marshall said to let him know when we have our next mini-meet and give him our impressions of the PINT, mini3, and go-vibe 7...i'll be home in december so we'll have to organize something with terry again.

who knows, i may have marshall build me a mini3 as well
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #37 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually this is not a fair comparison between Hornet and standard version of Mini3.

If we build Mini3 in the max-out way by using 0.1% thin film resistors, polyphenylene sulfide caps etc, then we can say which one is better performer......
icon10.gif

Plus not to forget the 15,000 uf cap.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #38 of 87
Whatever Marshall did to mine I like it. He thought Iwas weird not to ask any questions but at this point I just trust him. The little bugger puts out some really nice detail and punch. It is silly how good it is. Considering it is the little brother to the B22 I would love to hear one of those for sure.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever Marshall did to mine I like it. He thought Iwas weird not to ask any questions but at this point I just trust him. The little bugger puts out some really nice detail and punch. It is silly how good it is. Considering it is the little brother to the B22 I would love to hear one of those for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little brother to the B22? I don't think so. The circuits are not even similar. About the only thing the same is that Amb designed/sells them both.

It's closer to being the little brother of the M^3, but even that comparison is more than a bit of a stretch since the Mini3 doesn't have a separate output section.

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #42 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamboman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus not to forget the 15,000 uf cap.
smily_headphones1.gif

The key factor is circuit design, just one component does not mean too much.....
icon10.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #43 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1,500uf maybe, no way a 15,000uf will fit in that case.

That's what I read somewhere. But the reviewer might be wrong.
Then again, the Xin Reference comes with a 22,000 uf cap, so it is not impossible. The Xin Reference is smaller than the Hornet even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back