Mississauga/North Toronto meet
Jun 10, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #91 of 180
omen ..bring your 1K's also ..I'm not at all happy with mine so far and want to A/B to be sure that I either don't like the sound signature ..or mine are in some small way defective. (Currently being driven by a highly modded SinglePower, so it ain't my amp)

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #93 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
omen ..bring your 1K's also ..I'm not at all happy with mine so far and want to A/B to be sure that I either don't like the sound signature ..or mine are in some small way defective. (Currently being driven by a highly modded SinglePower, so it ain't my amp)

I can't say too much here 'cause I'm now a MOT, but I can tell you it's likely that you have a can/amp mismatch. GS1k's have all the warmth and SS you need built in, and call for a nice dry, neutral SS amp. I doubt there's anything wrong with your cans - they're just really picky as to source and amp. You'll see what I mean at the meet...

Jun 10, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #94 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhoh, what happened?

On the way there the protoboard that the PSU is on in my amp snapped in half, though all the connections are still present so it is a minor problem really.

On the way back my wood faceplate got damaged. It's not all that noticable, but was still pretty upsetting.
frown.gif

My Eastsound started acting flakey as soon as I arrived and eventually would only play Jeff Buckley's Grace... and then nothing. This was sort of a blessing in disguise as it prompted me to listen to some other sources and eventually to buy a Moon Audio modded Original CD player which is [IMO, Renato didn't seem very impressed] much better than my old source.

kjpmkjp - I'll get on this soon, been really busy lately and only last night setup my computer at home... should be more active on the boards as a result.
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #96 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the way there the protoboard that the PSU is on in my amp snapped in half, though all the connections are still present so it is a minor problem really.

On the way back my wood faceplate got damaged. It's not all that noticable, but was still pretty upsetting.
frown.gif

My Eastsound started acting flakey as soon as I arrived and eventually would only play Jeff Buckley's Grace... and then nothing. This was sort of a blessing in disguise as it prompted me to listen to some other sources and eventually to buy a Moon Audio modded Original CD player which is [IMO, Renato didn't seem very impressed] much better than my old source.

kjpmkjp - I'll get on this soon, been really busy lately and only last night setup my computer at home... should be more active on the boards as a result.
tongue.gif

So what happened to the eastsound?

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #97 of 180
HighLife has repurposed it as a stylish coffee table until we can get the replacement transport it needs to be fixed. After that is done, I'm going to let him hang on to it for a while and then sell it stateside.
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #98 of 180
Alright, what's happening here? We meeting or not?

Ja - if you can't host it, I think I will try one at my Place; one block N of Yonge & Steeles in Vaughan. Only thing is, it's gotta be one of those meets where we start early and end things by about 7 (like the T.O. 7/7/07 meet) b/c I gotta have the kid at home and asleep around then. There are lots of pubs/restaurants, etc. nearby, so everyone can pack up their gear and head out for some socializing. Lots of visitor parking in my neighbourhood. I'd like to try for a meet sooner rather than later. I'm thinking the w/e of July 26 (that's the Saturday). I can probably hold no more than about 30 people in the house, so this will have to be a mini-ish meet if we do it @ my place.

Waiting for your response Jay, please PM or EM and let's hash this out. Once we confirm the details one of us can update the thread.

All I need to do for sure is burn-in another Caliente for the meet as my last burned in unit went to Tom Bonner...
eek.gif

Also, no more GS1K here, just shipped it to Lanzky in DK. All I have to offer these days is a modded D5000, modded PortaPro, and a pair of EP-630's, LOL.

O

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #99 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, what's happening here? We meeting or not?

Ja - if you can't host it, I think I will try one at my Place; one block N of Yonge & Steeles in Vaughan. Only thing is, it's gotta be one of those meets where we start early and end things by about 7 (like the T.O. 7/7/07 meet) b/c I gotta have the kid at home and asleep around then. There are lots of pubs/restaurants, etc. nearby, so everyone can pack up their gear and head out for some socializing. Lots of visitor parking in my neighbourhood. I'd like to try for a meet sooner rather than later. I'm thinking the w/e of July 26 (that's the Saturday). I can probably hold no more than about 30 people in the house, so this will have to be a mini-ish meet if we do it @ my place.

Waiting for your response Jay, please PM or EM and let's hash this out. Once we confirm the details one of us can update the thread.

All I need to do for sure is burn-in another Caliente for the meet as my last burned in unit went to Tom Bonner...
eek.gif

Also, no more GS1K here, just shipped it to Lanzky in DK. All I have to offer these days is a modded D5000, modded PortaPro, and a pair of EP-630's, LOL.

O

I'm really curious to give your K.I.C.A.S. a whirl against my Arietta. I keep checking back every so often for a tentative date. Let's get 'er done! If y'all also need any help drop me a line.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #100 of 180
I can't wait for another Toronto meet!
smily_headphones1.gif
We have to do it in July - besides the football season starts in August and some of us might not have time then...
wink.gif

During the last long weekend I pulled all my headphones from a closet and did some extensive listening session with the KICAS Caliente amp (Oriel, I finally "calientized" that old prototype
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I must say the AKG K701 came on top of the bunch (HD650, RS1, W5000, K701, DT990). It is not to say that the other headphones sounded "shabby" but rather that the Caliente brought new life to K701.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now Caliente + K701 is my main listening setup.

I think K701 owners might want to give the Caliente a chance and try their headphones with the amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
(Oriel, maybe you should burn-in more than one amp before the meet?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

See you at the meet! (whenever that may be - hopefully July...)
Peter

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #101 of 180
I plan to burn in our silver Caliente. I already have a KICAS burned in, and am loving it with my modded D5000's. Tbonner also seemed to love the K701's with the Caliente, I really need to give that combo a listen!

Starting to get excited about the meet!

Jay, PM me please!!!

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #102 of 180
Sorry guys, I've just been really busy lately. Trips and weddings along with me still trying to fix up my place and entertaining a new girlfriend have left me with no free time. If someone else wants to step up and take the reigns, that's cool and I'll try to make the meet, but I won't be holding one myself for a while yet.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #103 of 180
Ok everybody, it looks like I will hold the meet in my TH on Clark and Yonge (just north of yonge and Steeles, in Vaughan, easy bus access!) on July 26 (sorry about the short notice).

I'm just confirming size limitations on attendance with Jay right now, but suggest those who can make it PM me and confirm their spot, as I might have to limit spots based on the size my place can offer up. Obviously, myself and pbalcer are there, so that's 2 places confirmed. Step on up and claim your spot while it's still available!
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #104 of 180
Can I come?

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #105 of 180
Ren, you will be the guest of honour. PM me to confirm your spot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back