Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Jan 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #31 of 756
Just found this thread and tried my Dennon D7000 pads.
Add them to the list they also work with the plastic ring. As an added bonus they have a screen as well.
However, they are slanted (more padding at the back) and the padding at the back is wider making the opening smaller.
On first listen they sound a bit darker compared to the pleather HiFiman pads.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #32 of 756

Quote:
Add them to the list they also work with the plastic ring. As an added bonus they have a screen as well.
However, they are slanted (more padding at the back) and the padding at the back is wider making the opening smaller.

Do you find that the soundstage has more depth with the slanted pads? Someone  is wondering if slanted pads are creating more soundstafe depth (me too, actually).
Any more differences of the sound of D7000 pads compared to the stock ones?

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #35 of 756
Yes, DT990 pads fit the HE-500.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 756

Quote:

DT990 velour pad on the left. Stock HE-500 pad in the middle. Fake leather replacement on the right. World at War man in the back, roasting the two Hifiman pads.

The DT990 pad is a touch thicker than the cloth Hifiman pad, and a good bit thicker than the fake leather pad from Hifiman. It's the most comfortable of the three.

The only hard part was getting the attachment ring from the fake leather pads onto the Beyer pads. That's where my GF came into the picture. I seriously couldn't do it. Her fingernails came in handy.

The DT990 pads don't come cheap though. They were $40 for the pair, and they couldn't be attached without the ring from the fake leather pads. Total came to about $60. I don't notice anything different in regards to sound. I'd say it was worth it.

I also didn't notice any change when switching to the HE-6 cable. Sure was lighter/more flexible than that 1/4" speaker cable the headphones came with.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #38 of 756
I would say the soundstage is a bit narrower with the D7000 pads, they also make the HE-6 a tad bit darker (IMO). The fit is snugger, it's like wearing pillows around your ears, as well I think the bass had an increase in impact.
But all of this is from memory, it's too much trouble to A/B. For what it's worth I like them better than the original pads and for the slight change in sound, the improvement in comfort does not make me want to go back. 
It would be interesting to try them with J money pads, but I sold them with my D7000's and I am not paying $80 again and waiting blindly for 3 months.

Quote:
Do you find that the soundstage has more depth with the slanted pads? Someone  is wondering if slanted pads are creating more soundstafe depth (me too, actually).
Any more differences of the sound of D7000 pads compared to the stock ones?

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #39 of 756

Quote:
I would say the soundstage is a bit narrower with the D7000 pads, they also make the HE-6 a tad bit darker (IMO). The fit is snugger, it's like wearing pillows around your ears, as well I think the bass had an increase in impact.
But all of this is from memory, it's too much trouble to A/B. For what it's worth I like them better than the original pads and for the slight change in sound, the improvement in comfort does not make me want to go back. 
It would be interesting to try them with J money pads, but I sold them with my D7000's and I am not paying $80 again and waiting blindly for 3 months.

Thank you for your answer!

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #41 of 756

I don't know about cheapest but I put in an order this morning from Headroom.  BH Photo was out of stock of the black velour pads.
http://www.headphone.com/accessories/beyerdynamic-dt880-dt990-velour-earpads.php

Should be in an interesting month of February with the tweaking of my HE-500:
Nose Norn cable
Moon Audio Silver cable
Beyer 990 velour pads
Maybe add some foam underneath the headband (for those of us with shaved heads and already at the lowest rung for settings)

Quote:
Wheres the best place to buy DT990 pads?

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #42 of 756

Quote:

Bumping a bit of an old thread here, but I'd like to know how well it fit, I'm thinking about getting Lawton Audio pads (for Denons) for my HE-400, though I think the beyer pads might be better.  

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #43 of 756
The fit is perfect
the sound becomes a tad darker and the soundstage tightens up side to side a bit.. Overall the sound edges towards the Lcd2 domain but only slightly.
The comfort improvement is the big win. I still have not gone back, and in part because my Sansui was in the shop but mostly because they feel so comfy.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #44 of 756

Quote:
The fit is perfect
the sound becomes a tad darker and the soundstage tightens up side to side a bit.. Overall the sound edges towards the Lcd2 domain but only slightly.
The comfort improvement is the big win. I still have not gone back, and in part because my Sansui was in the shop but mostly because they feel so comfy.

Is this darker in comparison to the stock velours or the pleathers?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back