Minneapolis Meet?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #287 of 697
I would love to attend another meet.  I missed the last mini one and was only able to pop by the last big one for a little bit.  I also want to start looking at where to go for amps and dacs as I just got a pair of Senn. HD800's and they sound fantastic but want to start getting gear that can better bring out the full potential of them (currently ran from a modi and magni2 so I know I am not using them to anywhere near what they are capable of).

From experience, the Bottlehead Crack is by far the best bang for your buck on the amp side.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #288 of 697
From experience, the Bottlehead Crack is by far the best bang for your buck on the amp side.

True I did get to listen to one a couple years ago and liked it I am just not a huge fan of the Bottlehead Crack.  I usually upgrade rather slow and don't replace things often.  I have no issues with my current setup but want to start looking for that upgrade that will come in a year or so. If I am going to drop 1k+ on a piece of gear I usually do it once and go from there (I am an anomaly in this hobby where I don't flip and accumulate equipment often).

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #290 of 697
As for a meet, I propose we try and do a large meet in September like we did last year. People tend to be very busy during the summer months, and I think it'd be good to get a strong turn out. 

Quote:
  I would love to attend another meet.  I missed the last mini one and was only able to pop by the last big one for a little bit.  I also want to start looking at where to go for amps and dacs as I just got a pair of Senn. HD800's and they sound fantastic but want to start getting gear that can better bring out the full potential of them (currently ran from a modi and magni2 so I know I am not using them to anywhere near what they are capable of).

"Full potential" is difficult to achieve with the HD800 (i.e. expensive)...it can pretty much continuously scale with better gear. As far as amping, it's rather subjective and preferences definitely come in to play. Crack w/ speedball and upgraded tubes is a decent budget option, especially if you prefer something warmer/bassier. That said, it falls more along the colored side of things. I personally prefer the Valhalla 2 at that pricepoint, as it's more neutral/linear, but that's just me. You'll need to listen to a variety of different setups and figure out your preferences a bit more. DAC's shouldn't be overlooked either, as the garbage-in/garbage-out rule definitely applies...it's brutally revealing.

I would like to attend one as well hoping to try some of the new AK DAPs also I'm trying to sell a FiiO X3 and FiiO E12 and E11 amp.

I haven't heard of anyone local getting their hands on one yet. Perhaps someone will surface...

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #291 of 697

"Full potential" is difficult to achieve with the HD800 (i.e. expensive)...it can pretty much continuously scale with better gear. As far as amping, it's rather subjective and preferences definitely come in to play. Crack w/ speedball and upgraded tubes is a decent budget option, especially if you prefer something warmer/bassier. That said, it falls more along the colored side of things. I personally prefer the Valhalla 2 at that pricepoint, as it's more neutral/linear, but that's just me. You'll need to listen to a variety of different setups and figure out your preferences a bit more. DAC's shouldn't be overlooked either, as the garbage-in/garbage-out rule definitely applies...it's brutally revealing.

Very true and one of the things that drew me to the HD800 over some of the more fun and engaging headphones.  For right now I just ordered a Schiit Lyr2 so plenty to start playing around with and more options with meets before I purchase anything more expensive for right now.

The Crack kit is under $300, Speedball upgrade included at present. I'd build you one for under $1k
wink.gif

It is something I might be interested in down the road but right now not as much.  I am also decent with electronics and with wood and metal work so probably be something I do myself later but might want to chat about it at a meet or something.

But back on topic.  I like the idea of later September; it gives us time to set up the details, and I cannot do much till second week of September (something about my wedding or such
eek.gif
...)​.  Do we want to talk to Needledoctor about setting it up there again or seek another venue?

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #292 of 697
Subbed just in case if I can somehow come to a meet up for once. I don't have any impressive gear excluding maybe my Audio Technica ATH-CKR9/CKR10, VE Zen, and Soundmagic HP200.

No idea how a meet works, so if anyone can fill me in that would be amazing!

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #293 of 697

+1

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #294 of 697
  But back on topic.  I like the idea of later September; it gives us time to set up the details, and I cannot do much till second week of September (something about my wedding or such
eek.gif
...)​.  Do we want to talk to Needledoctor about setting it up there again or seek another venue?

Congrats on the wedding! I'll talk to some of the regulars come August and see what we can set up for Sept.

Subbed just in case if I can somehow come to a meet up for once. I don't have any impressive gear excluding maybe my Audio Technica ATH-CKR9/CKR10, VE Zen, and Soundmagic HP200.

No idea how a meet works, so if anyone can fill me in that would be amazing!

Don't worry at all about impressive gear, etc. The point is just to hang out, listen to different gear, and talk with people who share the same interest - no big deal. Trying to achieve good sound at a reasonable price point is perfectly valid. I would say that most people fall in to this camp.

As far as how meets work, there's really not much to it. The group will organize the date, time and location. You just need to show up with your gear and music. There will be tables to set up on, you'll select a spot, get set up and that's about it. Expect to talk to people, listen to what they brought and vice versa. The twin cities group is friendly and attending meets provides a way to listen to equipment that you otherwise wouldn't have exposure to, as well as connect with the local community. Give it a try if you get a chance. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #295 of 697
I apologize in advance for the question I'm about to ask.

Does anyone know a place in the Minneapolis area I could take a Beyer headphone (specifically my T90)  to have them check to make sure they are working as they should? I just have the sneaking suspicion that they aren't sounding the way they should. People are blown away by the amazing clarity & my pair doesn't seem to do that. The fact that the treble isn't even close to being sibilant on my pair and the hinge mechanism becoming a bit loose is having me think that I may have a connection problem somewhere. Hopefully I can find a place because I don't have enough confidence in myself to want to take them apart. I want to give this headphone every bit of chance which includes making final judgments after listening to them the way they were intended with no flaws on my end.  

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #296 of 697
I apologize in advance for the question I'm about to ask.

Does anyone know a place in the Minneapolis area I could take a Beyer headphone (specifically my T90)  to have them check to make sure they are working as they should? I just have the sneaking suspicion that they aren't sounding the way they should. People are blown away by the amazing clarity & my pair doesn't seem to do that. The fact that the treble isn't even close to being sibilant on my pair and the hinge mechanism becoming a bit loose is having me think that I may have a connection problem somewhere. Hopefully I can find a place because I don't have enough confidence in myself to want to take them apart. I want to give this headphone every bit of chance which includes making final judgments after listening to them the way they were intended with no flaws on my end.  

Might try Needle Doctor, they carry beyerdynamic.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #298 of 697

Does anyone know a place in the Minneapolis area I could take a Beyer headphone (specifically my T90)  to have them check to make sure they are working as they should? I just have the sneaking suspicion that they aren't sounding the way they should. People are blown away by the amazing clarity & my pair doesn't seem to do that. The fact that the treble isn't even close to being sibilant on my pair 

Uhm,  you say "my headphones are not even close to being sibilant".

Call me crazy, but if I'm not mistaken, in a perfect world, you wouldn't have sibilant sound.  It's worth mentioning that if it sibilance is in the recording...well, it's in the recording.

But I think it is likely you are using the wrong word.  I hate posting this kind of reply because it's not like I'm an expert or anything...feel free to correct me.  :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #299 of 697
Sorry about that. That comment was in reference to impressions by other people in reference to how Beyer tuned the cans. Namely the peaky treble which some people claimed was enough in quantity to make them sibilant at times. I should have been more specific. I'm no expert either, haha. No worries, still continuing to grow in my headphone knowledge and terms.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back