Minimalistic piano or violin driven music.
Oct 10, 2011 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BobSaysHi

Headphoneus Supremus
It's always hard to get into a new genre, and I'm hoping some of you guys could help me discover some new artists. I figure that I'm not the only one here looking for new music like this too. 

Here's what I'm looking for, it doesn't necessarily have to be classical.
1. Minimalistic in nature (no big orchestras)
2. No singing/talking

The two artists that got me into this search were Ravel and Erik Satie. Ravel's music sounds awkward to me, perhaps it was just the performance I own on CD.

Here's some to get started

My favorite thing I've found in the past couple months : Olafur Arnolds - ...And They Have Escaped the Weight of Darkness

I'm intentionally trying to keep this broad. Please share something if you're able.

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 20
brian eno - minimilast and piano driven - one album that comes to mind is music for airports

most of P.C. Davidoff's music

liquid mind

akshara weave

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 20
I'll have a shot. :)

A bit different from the music you posted (which I really enjoyed by the way - thank you), but Yiruma is a very popular Korean pianist whom you might like to look into.

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 20
There's minimalism and then there's minimalism.  You can have bill evans, who plays sparsely compared to Oscar Peterson, yet can often manage to do more.  Then you have artists/composers who bill themselves as "minimalists" to compensate for the fact that they are untalented.  (Eg Einaudi, who in addition to simplicity is distractingly derivative.)  

I guess it goes without saying that if you're into Satie and Ravel Debussy's piano works would be right up your alley.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 20
Check out a  musician named Elliot Carter. I like his Clarinet Concerto, Part 1 and 2. He may be still alive and working but I think of his period is the 1940's and 50's. Also a current quartet, by the name of Mosquito Creek, Improvisation # 1. I like to use You Tube to research new music then get the CD's or down load. Sometimes You Tube is fine for a download.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 20
Alina, Arvo Pärt

Possibly the most beautiful composition in my collection. Even the CD's packaging is gorgeous minimalism.

Just buy it. This is exactly what you're looking for. I think you'll enjoy it for a lifetime.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #12 of 20
My favorite thing I've found in the past couple months: Olafur Arnolds - ...And They Have Escaped the Weight of Darkness

Oh wow, we're going to get along real fine. That is one of my absolute favorite albums of all time. I fell in love with it the instant I heard it and I haven't grown tired of it one bit. Ólafur Arnalds is one of those musicians that I constantly try to emulate.

Anyway... a few recommendations that flow in that vein:

Mono & World's End Girlfriend - Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain (2005)
Earth - Hex; or Printing in the Infernal Method (2005)
Eluvium - An Accidental Memory in the Case of Death (2004)

These are not truly "minimalist," but close enough and really beautiful that I think you might like them. The Earth album is not classical at all. These are good albums that fall more into the minimalism style:

Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi (1998) --- I recommend watching the documentary film that accompanies this soundtrack, if you can.
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians (1978)
Arvo Pärt - Tabula rasa (1984)

And get into the rest of Ólafur Arnalds' discography as well :wink:

Also, a lot of ambient and drone records are minimalist in nature, such as these great ones:

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports (1978)
Max Richter - Memoryhouse (2002)
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (1994)

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 20
You'll propably like Greg Haines, he often preforms with Nils Frahm, Peter Broderick & co. 

And of course Goldmund because I can't seem to reccomend him often enough.

And the last one, because you like ambient, try the collaboration between Carsten Nicolai (a.k.a. Alva Noto) and Ryuichi sakamoto

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 20

Max Richter - Blue Notebooks

Deaf Center - Owl Splinters

Fabrice Ravel-Chapuis - En danger 

Hildur Gudnadottir - Without Sinking

Library Tapes - Fragment

Pausal - EP

Peter Broderick - Float

Rafael Anton Irisarri -  Daydreaming

Sylvain Chauveau - Des Plumes Dans La Tete

Rachel Grimes - Book Of Leaves

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 20