Mini to mini. Best value under $200
Apr 19, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 27
It really depends on what you're planning to use the mini-mini for. The difference between budget interconnects and boutique/exotic interconnect is there, but significant only when I use my iMod + iQube + UE-11.

Not to start a flame war, but I have a Cardas 6" mini-mini from HeadRoom, and found it lacking in terms of transparency and detail when used in the above chain of components. But after a point, what really varies is subtle sound signature between different cables, so only you can decide if the difference is worth paying for.

For $100, I'd recommend you look at the Axiom from Big On Noise
Portable Cables-Axiom
It has slightly more zing than their neutral and more upscale Singularity. The picture shown is not quite accurate as the design has been changed (and is evolving). Currently the Axiom has thinner, more flexible multi-strand conductors. Build quality, aesthetics and signal quality are all excellent.

Disclaimer:
I have not purchased anything from bigonnoise.com yet. I am familiar with bigononise.com because I tried a few of their ICs at Jaben, and the manufacturer then mailed me a bunch of his cables and prototypes to try. You can see pictures of the cables at this Jaben forum post:
New cables in Jaben - Singularity (bigonnoise.com)

However, if you're willing to solder, you can get Neutrik plugs for really cheap.

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #18 of 27
Great to see so many answers here! Thank you everybody!

sbulack, thank you for detailed description of rigs you're using your mini-mini's with. Very valuable!

boomy3555, that silver-copper difference is interesting... You mean silver=bright, copper=warm, right? OK, so what about silver-plated copper? Is it both bright and warm?
smily_headphones1.gif
What about cryo cables? carbon cables? How would you characterize them comparing to silver or copper? And as for length, I'm thinking of 4''.

mrarroyo, it's gonna be my 1st mini-mini worth mentioning in my sig/profile
smily_headphones1.gif

gp_hebert, WalkGood, here's what I have in mind... I'll buy a cool IC. Maybe a couple of ICs. Just to check if it matters to me. If it does - maybe I'll finally buy myself a soldering iron
smily_headphones1.gif
If it doesn't - not worth the hassle.

trickywombat, the rig you mentioned is pretty much comparable to what I'm using. And I'll double Ricey's post - How does the Singularity compare to the ALO SXC? It's extremely interesting.

Ricey20, Are you happy with DIY ICs you're using? Or you think there can be improvement? Can you briefly compare your ICs with ALOs or smth similar?

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #19 of 27
I would DIY something (or ask someone around here if they can build you something).
If you can't or don't want DIY take a look at the Cardas 6". Headroom (HeadRoom: The World's Best Headphone Audio Store) sells them. Not sure how long you want your cable though...

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 27
Canare Starquad and connectors, solder, soldering iron, shrink tubing.

I have a few boutique mini to minis, and i use RadioShack's 12" grey mini to mini.
You wont hear the difference on a portable system.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 27
We all hear differently. I absolutely hear differences between cables on my portable system.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #22 of 27
Compared to the Singularity, my ALO Cryo Silver X leans towards the warm side of neutral, while the Singularity is slightly more transparent and neutral than the Cryo Sliver X.

With my iPod Classic -> [LOD] -> iQube -> UE-11, the Singularity has a less prominent bass, but the layers are better separated than with the Cryo Silver X which smudges the bass ever so slightly in comparison.

The differences are more subtle flavors than they are deal breakers. The Axiom has more zip and bite than the ALO Cryo Silver X which makes it work well with my UE 11 but can be fatiguing with my Livewires.

Both the Singularity and Cryo Silver X are quality cables in terms of SQ and build quality, and not considering price, I'd be happy with either since I'm less concerned about strict neutrality. I'm more after a clarity that does not fatigue, and even the more zippy Axiom made me happy.

The ALO cable shows of the cable with a transparent sheath/heat shrink to show off the exotic metal (and the accompanying oxidation in the case of my 2 Cryo Sliver X cables). The Singularity is covered with tough opaque rubbery material that hides whatever conducting non-metal they use inside.

With the Cryo Silver X, once you bend it into shape, it stays that way and in a way helps to old the iPod and amp together. With the Singularity, the flex is less permanent and may take longer to obtain a more permanent shape. My lightweight nano would move when the Singularity tries to straighten itself.

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #23 of 27
Picture to give you an idea of the cosmetic difference between the cables below.
The ALO is the Cryo Silver X.
Black & Red = BigOnNoise Singularity
Orange=BigOnNoise Axiom
miniLODcablesALOBON-small.jpg

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Isn't Starquad designed to serve as a mono mic cable?

Quote:

Thank you for warning me, but I don't want posts like this in my thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely hear differences between cables on my portable system.

Could you please briefly describe it? For example, can you compare 2 wire jena x 2 pure silver wire mini-mini and 4 wire jena wire braid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to the Singularity, my ALO Cryo Silver X leans towards the warm side of neutral, while the Singularity is slightly more transparent and neutral than the Cryo Sliver X.

Thank you very much! Now Singularity sounds like a great deal to me.

Quote:

With the Singularity, the flex is less permanent and may take longer to obtain a more permanent shape. My lightweight nano would move when the Singularity tries to straighten itself.

You can try using rubber stripes for this purpose
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a few boutique mini to minis, and i use RadioShack's 12" grey mini to mini.

Whatever sounds best to you but man, yuck. I don't even use i/cs now except for digital optical cables but I still hated radio shack cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back