[Mini Shootout] Vsonic GR07 MKII vs Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS
Sep 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #31 of 93
Quote:

2) To me, the GR07 sounds significantly better at higher volumes. My ideal volume rests between 50-75% (depending on my mood) of the iPhone 4's total volume.

That's scary loud. Although I agree that the GR07 gets better at volume, I'd be very concerned that you're damaging your hearing at those levels. Even with 50 ohms of impedance, the GR07 will surely be outputting well over 100 dB of sound at those volume levels out of an iPhone 4. Be careful.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #32 of 93
Quote:

That's scary loud. Although I agree that the GR07 gets better at volume, I'd be very concerned that you're damaging your hearing at those levels. Even with 50 ohms of impedance, the GR07 will surely be outputting well over 100 dB of sound at those volume levels out of an iPhone 4. Be careful.

No worries. I spend most most of my time nearer to 50%. It's just a few songs that make me just want to pump up the volume a bit. I sincerely doubt that GR07 is outputting that much volume at 65%. It's not exactly a very sensitive iem, and it doesn't sound all that loud to me.

Besides, hearing loss is now reversible: http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=123538&CultureCode=en 
rolleyes.gif

[size=1.2em] Nerve cells that carry electrical signals from the ears to the brain have a coating called the myelin sheath, which helps the electrical signals travel along the cell. Exposure to loud noises - i.e. noise over 110 decibels - can strip the cells of this coating, disrupting the electrical signals. This means the nerves can no longer efficiently transmit information from the ears to the brain.[/size]

[size=1.2em] However, the coating surrounding the nerve cells can reform, letting the cells function again as normal. This means hearing loss can be temporary, and full hearing can return, the researchers said.[/size]

Good ol' myelin sheathes.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #34 of 93
 Good ol' myelin sheathes.

On the GR07, I'd recommend being at 40%... at 50% it's already too loud. 40% is pushing it. These days, I don't go to 50% for more than 2-3 minutes at a time. On custom IEMs, I listen at 12-36%...

I read through the actual paper referred to in the article. While it's interesting, the study wasn't designed to address hair cell death, which is permanent and irreversible. Besides, you don't want to risk it, anyways.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #35 of 93
Quote:
On the GR07, I'd recommend being at 40%... at 50% it's already too loud. 40% is pushing it. These days, I don't go to 50% for more than 2-3 minutes at a time. On custom IEMs, I listen at 12-36%...

I read through the actual paper referred to in the article. While it's interesting, the study wasn't designed to address hair cell death, which is permanent and irreversible. Besides, you don't want to risk it, anyways.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I like to turn up the volume slightly to compensate to for the 07's average soundstage depth.

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #38 of 93
What was nightcrawler's source? I think that could make a very big difference.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #39 of 93
Quote:
What was nightcrawler's source? I think that could make a very big difference.

My evaluation in blue. Since I'm sure I'm nowhere near as acquainted as you may be with the tracks below, I'm going to try and listen for essentially the same elements you yourself critiqued, and provide my own feedback. I'll of course be evaluating my own 320kbps version of each of the tracks listed below, running directly into my late 2011 Macbook Air. I've also used Sensaphonics audio seal test in order to ensure that I have a proper seal with both IEM's.  
smile.gif

I heard those MBAs have good sound cards, so it shouldn't be an issue. Though, come to think of it, I don't know if he used the audio splitter. I've only seen adverse effects come from that, though it should be negligible since it would apply to both IEMs. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #40 of 93
Hmm, I can't help but think the shortcomings of the SS are nothing to do with the phone but with what they are being fed! A headphone that does not let in all that is there is going to sound better with the source and compression used as it simpy hides the inadequacies of the source and compression. I just do not find this comparison valid for that reason!

To give an example. You can see the set up I use in my sig. I have been using ALAC ripped from CD but recently have been re ripping to AIFF as there is a small difference with revealing or good quality equipment, right out of a Mac or iPhone I would not bother as it simply is of not good enough quality. Yesterday I was in my local HiFi store listening to a Naim/ Spendor set up using Wav files, so impressed with the sund was I that I went home and ripped a couple of CD's that I am very familiar with and that I know are of the highest quality production and engineering values to Wav and loaded them on to my set up. I listened back to back for most of the evening alternating between my LCD's running balanced and my ER4 and Heaven S running single ended. The differences were not subtle and in favor of Wav so much so that I have now started the laborious task of re ripping my CD collection to Wav (802 CD's gulp!)

I guess what I am saying is that it would be interesting to hear the comparison between the phones when compared with a really good set up as out of an iPhone or a Mac a truly great headphone is going to sound less than wonderful as it will reveal the source quality or lack of. I feel most of what is being heard and commented on is that and not the phones, who knows the cheaper ones may still shine but I doubt it.

For instance, when I listened though lesser quality I used to love my old triple.fi10's but when I got the set up I have now they became all but unlistenable as the very things that made them good with a poor source made then terrible with a good source! Just some thoughts. And I know there is a very large school of thought here that poo poo's bit rate differences but honestly, if all your doing is listenin directly our of your computers or iPhones I can understand that you would not hear the difference!

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #41 of 93
Quote:

I fully understand what you're saying. The SS was revealing enough to pick up a very slight hiss from my USB DAC, which is dead silent with all my other iems.

However, I don't think it applies here. I re-ripped the first two test tracks to FLAC for this specific purpose, and the other two were very good 320 kbps recordings. I listened through my Fiio E10 (wolfson0[size=small] WM8740)[/size], which does a very good job in my book. 

Sorry for the bolded 'wolfson'. Formatting issues

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #42 of 93
I fully understand what you're saying. The SS was revealing enough to pick up a very slight hiss from my USB DAC, which is dead silent with all my other iems.

However, I don't think it applies here. I re-ripped the first two test tracks to FLAC for this specific purpose, and the other two were very good 320 kbps recordings. I listened through my Fiio E10 (wolfson0[COLOR=222222] WM8740)[/COLOR], which does a very good job in my book. 

Sorry for the bolded 'wolfson'. Formatting issues

Excellent, thanks for clarifying that eke, it really helps in understanding the review more. If you have the time I would love for you to try the experiment I have just done and see if it makes a difference for you as that would than either validate or contradict my thoughts that way folks could get a more balanced view.

Just to let you know two of the CD's I did this with are the Ry Cooder, VM Bhatt meetting by the river CD which is simply and beautifully recorded and Janos Starkers Bruch, Kol Nidrei from the perspectives album.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #43 of 93
Quote:
Excellent, thanks for clarifying that eke, it really helps in understanding the review more. If you have the time I would love for you to try the experiment I have just done and see if it makes a difference for you as that would than either validate or contradict my thoughts that way folks could get a more balanced view.
Just to let you know two of the CD's I did this with are the Ry Cooder, VM Bhatt meetting by the river CD which is simply and beautifully recorded and Janos Starkers Bruch, Kol Nidrei from the perspectives album.

I will definitely do that, but I can't anytime soon. I'm running a SSD, and space is at a premium. What I'll do is try to borrow my friend's copy of Jochum's 1968 Carmina Burana again. It's one of the better recorded pieces I've heard. I'll rip that to WAV and compare it to my FLAC rip.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #44 of 93
Quote:
I heard those MBAs have good sound cards, so it shouldn't be an issue. Though, come to think of it, I don't know if he used the audio splitter. I've only seen adverse effects come from that, though it should be negligible since it would apply to both IEMs. 

I find the SQ of the GR07 to take a solid step up using my MBA -> DragonFly vs. MBA headphone out, just fwiw.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #45 of 93
I will definitely do that, but I can't anytime soon. I'm running a SSD, and space is at a premium. What I'll do is try to borrow my friend's copy of Jochum's 1968 Carmina Burana again. It's one of the better recorded pieces I've heard. I'll rip that to WAV and compare it to my FLAC rip.
[/quote

Oh, thats great, I will have a look for that recording as well and if I can get it will do the same and we can compare notes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back