[Mini Shootout] Vsonic GR07 MKII vs Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS
Sep 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #62 of 93
Yeah and? lol. Its not made to be flashy. Its just to get the job done properly without the luxuries we area all use too. I wish it had more features but it's minimalist. With time on that player I noticed slight differences in the treble and sound staging. The sound just seemed more refined. Hard to explain.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #63 of 93
Well if your songs were properly ripped and verified I don't see why you can't just expand them back to WAV. You are not suppose to lose quality going from WAV to FLAC and FLAC to WAV. They're all  lossless codecs. As long as the encoding was done properly you should not hear any difference. At least according to science :wink:

Now what happens during playback and the unzipping of these files is what really has my attention. I feel the differences are stemming from that alone.

Great, mine were all done correctly right from CD, Oh joy!

As to the other comment by good vibes , I would rather be a witch than a luddite any day, glad I am part of the coven! :D

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #64 of 93
Quote:
Great, mine were all done correctly right from CD, Oh joy!
As to the other comment by good vibes , I would rather be a witch than a luddite any day, glad I am part of the coven!
biggrin.gif

If anything why not do an experiment and do a re-rip from a couple of your favorite CDs where you really know them well and then compare them :).

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #65 of 93
Quote:
Yeah and? lol. Its not made to be flashy. Its just to get the job done properly without the luxuries we area all use too. I wish it had more features but it's minimalist. With time on that player I noticed slight differences in the treble and sound staging. The sound just seemed more refined. Hard to explain.

No I wasn't taking a dig at it. I just can't get it to play. Look at the bottom left corner where it says ">< -30.0." Is that normal?

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #66 of 93
Oh...
tongue.gif
  That is actually a part of the volume control. It is set at -30 db default to my knowledge. Worked like a charm with my O2 amp (too much gain even with the low gain mod with my DACport LX). I think you have to click the cPlay icon (very bottom corner left of the player) to edit the settings. You'll have to point it to the driver you are using and then input the presets you desire.

Yeah I just went back to cPlay and I'm definitely noticing the differences in the sound staging and treble. More lively. More convincing. Thank you Turok for turning me onto this program :wink:.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #67 of 93
Quote:
Oh...
tongue.gif
  That is actually a part of the volume control. It is set at -30 db to my knowledge. Worked like a charm with my O2 amp (too much gain even with the low gain mod with my DACport LX). I think you have to click the cPlay icon (very bottom corner left of the player) to edit the settings. You'll have to point it to the driver you are using and then input the presets you desire.

Yeah I just went back to cPlay and I'm definitely noticing the differences in the sound staging and treble. More lively. More convincing. Thank you Turok for turning me onto this program :wink:.

I just can't get it to work. I think I'll just convert the files to WAV, and see what happens.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #68 of 93
What problems are you having? Did I forget to mention it only works with FLAC or WAV files. No MP3 files :p.

Also you may have to right click on your music and then set cPlay as the default player (open with/Choose default program/cPlay. I had that issue before. If you don't see cPlay listed you will have to point it to the actual program listed in your program files. I think I also had that issue initially. Programs/cics Play/cicPlay.exe

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #69 of 93
Quote:
Oh...
tongue.gif
  That is actually a part of the volume control. It is set at -30 db default to my knowledge. Worked like a charm with my O2 amp (too much gain even with the low gain mod with my DACport LX). I think you have to click the cPlay icon (very bottom corner left of the player) to edit the settings. You'll have to point it to the driver you are using and then input the presets you desire.

Cool. 
cool.gif
   Have you posted about this anywhere? I am looking at getting the DACport LX and would like to lower the output from 2 vrms to 1 if it is possible.

So I would love to hear more about what you did. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, reading this again I think that maybe you lowered the gain on the O2. That would not help me as my Stepdance is already lowered to unity gain and that is as low as I will push her.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #70 of 93
''4) Helping Hand - Yo-Yo Ma, et al. (320 kbps MP3). This happens to be one of my favorite tracks from one of my favorite albums. It's a showcase of what happens when geniuses come together to make music. This is one of the most beautiful videos you'll ever see, and the best sounding 360p youtube video I've come across.''

I don't know anything about either of these two earphones but I just want to say I liked very much what I read above. The goat rodeo sessions is an unbelievable album but more unbelievable is the youtube audio quality here. Wow. It's by far the best quality I've come across from that place too! Big thumbs up!!

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #71 of 93
Quote:

Cool. 
cool.gif
   Have you posted about this anywhere? I am looking at getting the DACport LX and would like to lower the output from 2 vrms to 1 if it is possible.

So I would love to hear more about what you did. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, reading this again I think that maybe you lowered the gain on the O2. That would not help me as my Stepdance is already lowered to unity gain and that is as low as I will push her.

I'm not really sure if its worth doing that mod though on a pure DAC? The DACport LX is a pure DAC and it actually sounds better than the DACport. The amp section is the weak-point on the DACport. Not matter what sweet spot you try to find the DACport will not be as transparent as the DACport LX Plus you get the LX for cheaper. You win both ways. That is at least gong from anaxilus' opinion and I trust him on that. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I just pair it with another amp (UHA6 MKII or Tralucent T1) to control the signal.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #72 of 93
I gather some far that the SS has more midbass than the GR07. I'm not sure about the highs though. Is the 8-10k region more prominent in the SS?

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #73 of 93
Quote:
I gather some far that the SS has more midbass than the GR07. I'm not sure about the highs though. Is the 8-10k region more prominent in the SS?

That's the thing. I hear the FI-BA-SS as being more prominent in the upper mids than it is in the highs. I'll have them back in a few days, and I'll let you know.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #75 of 93
Interesting thanks for answering that. I missed my GR07 mkII delivery so now I have to wait until next next Monday since I'm leaving town. I need to hear these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back