Mini review: Westone UM2 vs Westone 2
Oct 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #46 of 70
Quote:

westone 2 sounds better than triplefi and westone 3?
i own triplefis but im wondering if the westone 2 will be really that great.

how would you compare triplefi and westone 2? and what about the westone 3 isn't as good as the westone 2?

thanks

Westone 3 beats Westone 2 like a red-headed stepchild.  No comparison.  The added driver creates a subwoofer effect with same clarity.

TF10 sounds more dynamic and full than W2.  But if you like flat, neutral, lighter bass....you may prefer W2.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #47 of 70
Quote:
Westone 3 beats Westone 2 like a red-headed stepchild.  No comparison.  The added driver creates a subwoofer effect with same clarity.

TF10 sounds more dynamic and full than W2.  But if you like flat, neutral, lighter bass....you may prefer W2.

andyhan:

I have had the W2s for quite some time now (as a result of stumbling upon this fantastic thread!), and I am VERY pleased.  I cannot speak to whether the W3 is better or worse than the W2 nor the TF10s - I have heard neither.

But Spyro is correct, the bass is more neutral / "lighter".  I don't know if I would call it flat, but Spyro seems to know a lot more about this stuff than me xD

It makes sense though, especially if you are after more bass, that something with 3 drivers (one of which is devoted to low-range) would trump something with two.

I know that if and when my W2s ever break, or I ever have money again, I will probably stay loyal to Westone but find a 3 driver model.  They were my first "premium" IEMs and I am so overwhelmingly satisfied with them my words cannot do it justice!  They are extremely comfortable, and are easy to forget are in for me.

I listen to a lot of electronic music (mostly trance), rap, and classical music.  And they all sound incredible on the W2s.  But when I want something super bassy, I guess I feel there could be more.  So if it were me, and the price difference between the W2s and the W3s wasn't very significant, I would say go with the W3s :)  Knowing that if you have to settle for the W2s, you will still be quite pleased.

I hope that helps!

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #48 of 70
Hi,
I have been reading this thread and there seems to be many mixed opinions.  But I am wondering which IEM is better for acoustic and electro music. Which one sounds most like the Audio Technica ATH M50 (more on the mid and treble side).
Thank you.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #57 of 70
I have all 3 and it depends on your preference. The W3 and the TF10 have a similar sound signature as in they both exhibit a V frequency response with recessed mids which gives them a wider soundstage compared to the W2. I would recommend the W3 over the TF10 just because of fit but if you can get the TF10 for a good deal, you might want to look at reshelling them into customs. The W2 lacks the midbass and slam of the other 2 but in return, it has more forward/intimate mids which also makes details much more apparent. The highs are roughly on par with one another (all 3).

My advice is if you appreciate neutrality more, go for the W2. If you like a fun sound signature, go for the W3 or the TF10.

I also had the W2 and UM2 at the same time and I preferred the W2 by a slight margin.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #58 of 70
Quote:
I have all 3 and it depends on your preference. The W3 and the TF10 have a similar sound signature as in they both exhibit a V frequency response with recessed mids which gives them a wider soundstage compared to the W2. I would recommend the W3 over the TF10 just because of fit but if you can get the TF10 for a good deal, you might want to look at reshelling them into customs. The W2 lacks the midbass and slam of the other 2 but in return, it has more forward/intimate mids which also makes details much more apparent. The highs are roughly on par with one another (all 3).

My advice is if you appreciate neutrality more, go for the W2. If you like a fun sound signature, go for the W3 or the TF10.

I also had the W2 and UM2 at the same time and I preferred the W2 by a slight margin.

Never got to thank you for the response. I have been using the W2 for a while now and I love them. The sound is very detailed and I find the bass very enjoyable. I chose the W2 since the comfort rating seemed to be higher(they are very comfortable) and am not regretting my purchase.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #59 of 70
Great review and threads guys.

I ordered W2 as well and am planning to use mostly on-stage purpose. Has anyone used it for on-stage monitoring? If so, does it sound better than Shure ones?
I'm pianist-keyboardist in a contemporary worship band, and we use Avion monitor (a-16).

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #60 of 70
Any reason you chose W2 when the UM2 is the one moreso designed for monitoring?  Vocals are much much better with UM2 if that matters....only surpassed by W4.  UM2 very buttery creamy smooth...very organic natural non-fatiguing sound.  W2 a bit sharper, edgier with less bass.  Soundstage is about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back