Mini review: Westone UM2 vs Westone 2
Mar 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #31 of 70
I had both and I must say, the W2 is much better, I agree that the sound signature of the UM2 may be more appealing to the most, but the W2 is a state of art dual driver where the UM2 is just old, W2 is technically clearly superior to the UM2.

The seperation, the detail, the soundstage, the definition, the well balanced sound----> W2

the Fun, more mid and upper bass, inyourface sound---->UM2

take a W2 and add about 6 dB in the Bass and you won't miss the UM2.

I prefer the W2 over Shure SE530,Triple Fi 10 and Westone 3.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #32 of 70

Quote:
 but the W2 is a state of art dual driver where the UM2 is just old,

That's interesting.  Do you have a source that validates that?  Not really sure what "old" means.  Is that a bad thing? 

I know the UM2 treble driver is the very same Knowles driver used in Etymotic ER4 plus with UM2 you get the bonus of an added bass driver.  Also UM2 is one of a few remaining IEM's made in USA.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #33 of 70
um2 since 2003, w2 since 2009(?)

it's the same with ue 10 pro and the new generation of Customs, there are a lot of people saying that the in-ears improved a lot.

I confirm that when it comes to w2 and um2 - same goes for Super-fi 5 pro, I remember you saying that the W2 is the one of the best if not the best universal dual driver(referring to your W2 review)

I just don't get how some people say that the um2 is superior, the um2 sound signature may be more appealing to the most, but technically wise the w2 is an upgrade. hands down.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #34 of 70
Depends on what you are looking for.  In a nutshell;

W2:  If you prefer more detail and a bit flatter sound sig.

UM2:  If you prefer more bass, more warmth and a more natural sound.

I think UM2 is more EQ-friendly too.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #35 of 70
the w2 delivers more detail, better separation(let alone the voice separation), a bigger soundstage, a well balanced sound, better/more treble, better built, more comfortable.

in my book, the w2 is clearly better, I have enjoyed my UM2 and I totally get that they rock and they are fun, but seriously, um2 over w2? only in your humble opinion. I can not imagine to go back to the UM2 after listening to the W2.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #36 of 70

Quote:
 but seriously, um2 over w2? only in your humble opinion. I can not imagine to go back to the UM2 after listening to the W2.

No, it's split pretty even 50/50.  It is personal preference.

W2 better built? (in China).  The UM2 (made in USA) housing is a much denser plastic and sturdier IMHO.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #37 of 70
almost everything in that industry is made in china nowadays, for example: designed in Austria(AKG) but built in China.

made in usa? whatever part 1!!! I am German, so let me tell you one thing: MADE IN GERMANY, that means something. hehehe

the w2 looks better anyway and the um2 looks like a prototype which is not even for sale....
the built quality is not the main question in the comparison between both anyway. and don't you dare telling me that the W2 looks cheaper. :D

Personal Preference? just like someone who prefers the v-moda vibes  over Shure SE530. Whatever Part 2.

but I know that you literally love the W3, where I can not stand it's sound signature(and I am not the only one) and I find that the W2 is the better in-ear, so I guess we have got different oppinions and a different taste.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #38 of 70
Yes, it usually means grossly over-priced.  Had a VW GTI and was one of the worst cars I ever owned.  Not only did it breakdown a lot but costs to repair were almost double than any other maker.  Reason:  They make ridiculously tight tolerance specs on even the most basic parts dramatically driving the cost up.  VW...never again!

Anyway...we get it.  You think W2 is the holy grail of all IEM's.

Quote:
I am German, so let me tell you one thing: MADE IN GERMANY, that means something. hehehe

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #39 of 70

This is my experience as well, the only thing they lack compared to the UM2s is some bass extension and thats it.. 
After listening the W2s, the UM2 sound muddy and sibilant, odd combination.
Plus the fact that I could lay on bed with them and use silicon tips since there was no sibilance to worry about was awesome.
Quote:
the w2 delivers more detail, better separation(let alone the voice separation), a bigger soundstage, a well balanced sound, better/more treble, better built, more comfortable.

in my book, the w2 is clearly better, I have enjoyed my UM2 and I totally get that they rock and they are fun, but seriously, um2 over w2? only in your humble opinion. I can not imagine to go back to the UM2 after listening to the W2.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #41 of 70
kudos to avena.

you just have to look at this thread to see how different the tastes and oppinions are. I am surprised that Spyro is not digging the W2 anymore, just look at his review back then, he really appreciated the W2. It's baffling me. He loves the W3, I knew that.

to me, the W3 has got a horrible sound signature and Westone should release W3x(consumer sound, not the inyourface monitor sound for the stage) and the Tf.10 sounds more boring than a bass extended(via EQ) W2, I guess that's because I need lovely mids - mids are for the heart, bass should be richer than on the W2, but the Bass is not the most important thing to me. W2+6 dB extension is just fine, imho.

people told me that the JH 5 Pro might be the right one for me, better solution than UM3x(see above, I would like to see an U3x).

and remember HeadphoneAddict Larry's Westone 2 review, he really appreciated the W2. I am with Larry and some other guys around here who are preffering W2 over Um3x, tf10s, shure 530s, W3s, dbas, sm3s, etc.

There are different groups, and (almost)everyone is right. :wink:

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 70
Larry's original W3 review touted it as the hands down best universal IEM ever made comparing it to $800 customs. http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-3-in-ear-headphones-review.html
He loves the midrange a bit more than me but his review pretty much echoes my love of W3.

My original love for W2 was coming off owning ER4P.  It was like ER4 but added some warmth and bass.  I have since owned many other IEM's that leave W2 in the dust.  It is "good" in that $200 range but one can do much better spending a little more money.  I find it "good" in many areas but not great at anything making it kind of boring.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #44 of 70
They should be fine, just play around with the tips. For more treble,thinner midrange and bass punch use bi-flange; for more midrange use foams

7 months later, I am still really content with them. 

Just dropping by to see what's going on in head-fi, haven't been here for many months probably better off staying  away
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #45 of 70
Quote:
I prefer the W2 over Shure SE530,Triple Fi 10 and Westone 3.

westone 2 sounds better than triplefi and westone 3?
i own triplefis but im wondering if the westone 2 will be really that great.

how would you compare triplefi and westone 2? and what about the westone 3 isn't as good as the westone 2?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back