Mini-laptops?
Oct 2, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #46 of 57
I have an EeePC. Trust me when I say that nothing under 10" is very user friendly for prolonged use, especially something like gaming.

It's a pain to type with them, and the screen is very hard to look at. Unless other sub-subnotebooks are radically different, I'd consider them more like "gadgets".

I used to carry around with me a 10 lb M1710 with cool external LED lights, and the best thing I've done this year was to purchase a 13" Sony Vaio Z555 to replace the beast. They should be in stock at your local Sony Style stores, being that they've been released for more than a month now (I think). It runs CS Source and Warcraft fine at max res of 1600x900. It's actually not too hard viewing things at this size.

It's lightweight at 3.4 lbs, which is actually heavier than something like a Lenovo X300 or Dell E4300 -- however none of them have any gaming power close to the Sony Z with its 9300M and P-series CPU. The cool thing about this is that the 9300M is hot switchable with its integrated 4500HD.

If you're looking for light-gaming sub-notebook that's not too expensive, I suggest you look at the Z-series. Heck you can get a Bluray option with it ($500 more).

There's also the less expensive ($1500?), less resolution, heavier but with HD3470 gfx SR series from Sony.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #47 of 57
I got the P-7811 FX

edit: I never ran it down of battery, but that's because I don't take it outside of my office/bedroom much so it mostly stays connected. The thing is a beast though!

I've been looking at those 550$ kiddies with 6-7 hours of battery as a on-the-side, depending on future economic circumstances I might just give my poor student back a treat

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #48 of 57
jkkmobile reports a new EEE PC 900HA. Same as the 900, but with a $160gb HD. Early estimates put it in our hands at $349.

I paid $400 for my 900 in early August. I wish I would have waited.

I do, however, love my 900. Ubuntu-eee runs just fine on it. I primarily use it for couch surfing, and it's a life saver when traveling since it's ultra light and portable.

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird, should be part of the headphone out. Just need an adapter for it. They list it as the SPDIF output. Really dunno, I thought all FXs shared a lot of components, just the CPU and other random bits and pieces different. Then again, I got the P-6860Fx, maybe different insides, I suppose?

Oh, wait...I have two 1/8 jacks, one is the headphone, and the other is the microphone input. And a mini Firewire as well. But yeah, I do have a SPDIF output listed under the Control Panel...just dunno how to utilize it.
frown.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #51 of 57
This is my work laptop...a Fujitsu P7230. So far nothing under 12" has come close to the functionality of this laptop. The Fujitsu has a 10.6" WXGA screen. Has various options you can outfit the laptop with. I got pretty much everything except the webcam and the Blue Tooth option. The laptop as I spec'd it is as follows: Intel Core Duo 1.2 GHz processor, 2 GB of DDR2 memory, 80 GB 4200 RPM HD, 8x DVD burner, 2 USB ports, Intel wireless a/b/g NIC, Marvel GigE wired NIC, 1 Firewire port, 1 PC Card slot, thumb reader, SD Card slot, and internal modem.

This laptop isn't for gaming. But for true portability on the go without leaving you wanting something, this laptop has no match on the market. It's unfortunate that Fujitsu has stopped making it. I think the price has a lot to do with it as the laptop as spec'd tipped the scales at around $2600. But I can truely take this laptop anywhere I go. The keyboard took a little bit to get used to but I have no problems typing on it now. The fact it has a full featured DVD burner and a PC Card slot is a major plus for me. I've been able to retrieve files from CDs/DVDs on the go while staying connected to the internet/corporate office with my Sprint PC Card connection card.

fujitsu.jpg

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by zx10guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my work laptop...a Fujitsu P7230.

Looks like a great little machine!

I got a good deal on a 12" PowerBook, so I'm putting off a netbook purchase indefinitely.

--Chris

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #53 of 57
My mom just ordered one of those mini Dells. I'm gonna snatch it from her and see what it's like since she knows nothing about computers.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #55 of 57
^ wow that is extremely small. display size?

i got my mom a MSI wind. its not bad actually, typing is pretty nice and easy. you'll get used to it in a couple of days max. as for the processing power of the atom, it isnt that great. i notice that when i run window media with visualizer, the visualizer lags at certain area. the music doesnt lag/skip however. these things keep getting better. something to look out for is the samsung nc10

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #56 of 57
::repost::

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #57 of 57
I rather like the Fujitsu ultraportables as well. I bought one of their Japanese models a year and a half ago -- the LOOX T70W (which I think is the counterpart to the LifeBook P7 series?), and I've been quite happy with it as far as an ultraportable goes. It has a disc drive builtin, and is still only 10"! It also has spectacular battery life if you're not doing anything computationally intensive. It lasts 6-7 hours if I'm just using it to take notes in class.

Though I'm wishing that I bought one of their ultraportable tablets. If nothing else, the ability to swivel the screen and have it lay flat is really useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back