Mini-laptops?
Aug 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think of the really small ones, like OQO; Forget it!
The small ASUS's and similars; No way.
The smallest one capable of running something like that, maybe the smallest Apple portables, with their biggest available processor, Or the small Sony Vaio models.

I've been pretty active in researching subnotebooks/netbooks. I think the EEE series keyboards are really a little too small. The layout is compromised, too. I used to have a Dell 700m, too, so I guess I can understand the shrinking of buttons. IMO, Atom isn't as great as people make it out to be. It's really not that powerful. A family friend has the EEE 1000H, and the keyboard is worlds better than the 901/701 (I own the 701 now, and originally had the 901). The MSi wind is a good machine, get the extended battery and IMO you will be set. The Acer series is good bang for the buck, but EEE prices are (finally) coming down a little bit.

There are other machines out there, too, UMPC Portal has good reviews. If it were me, I'd get the Gigabyte sub-notebook convertible and suffer the small keyboard. it has a flippable tablet-like touch screen, but it's not out yet. Second choice for me will be the Dell mini Inspiron/MSI Wind tie.

I don't really prefer the 10" form factor (I really love the size of the 901/900, etc) but the keyboard is just a little too hard to work with. I touch type at ~115wpm, and I hate missing key presses. The biggest one for me is the "?," since the right shift is moved next to the cursors, I'll always have question marks one line above (since I hit the up arrow instead of the shift button)

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #17 of 57
Here's my two day old EEE PC 900 desktop:

2751747617_59ba84fc98_o.png

I ran the included Xandros for a day, even with Advanced Desktop it sucked.

Installed Ubuntu from a USB flash drive last night, then installed the Netbook interface. I freakin' love it.

Tonight I'm going to permanently install my Kensington micro bluetooth dongle, and I've got a GPS and touch screen on the way.

This thing is freakin' sweet!

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 57
The new Lenovo Ideapad S10 looks incredibly polished. Plus, being Lenovo, it's most likely going to be available in Canada for not much more and customizable.

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #21 of 57
The Lenovo does look very nice, although it's strange to see a Lenovo laptop that isn't a rectangular black box.

I wish Asus wasn't diluting their Eee brand so much... so many tiny laptops, so little variation.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a eee pc 900 for......$200. Haha. Employee discount woot! I would much rather use a mini laptop than a pda device. I get annoyed by limitations such as lack of trackpad and keyboard.

Good lord. Which model?

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good lord. Which model?

16G
biggrin.gif
still great price!

I am considering getting another one as the $200 EEE 900 is for my sister. The black is coming at $250 though I guess because of availability. But since I save so much going to do the touch screen mod as well.

YouTube - Asus Eee PC 900 with touch screen

So dilemma for me: upcoming ipod touch or Asus eee 900 16G for $250? Hmmm...

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 57
Damn. I'm tempted to ask you to get me one.

Still, I think I'll wait for some more models to come out. I'm waiting for the one with long battery life.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #27 of 57
901 and 1000(h) have 6-cell battery. If the 6-cell version of MSI Wind actually came out, that would be something to consider too... for me anyway. I like the keyboard (and to a certain extent, the screen) much better on these 'bigger'(10") models.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn. I'm tempted to ask you to get me one.

Still, I think I'll wait for some more models to come out. I'm waiting for the one with long battery life.

I am still doing research on battery compatibility. I get employee discounts and sometimes free stuff from asus so if it is possible, I will be patiently waiting for a bigger battery when they offer me one. I am pretty sure a free one will pop up eventually. I like the shape of the 900 too and $200 is a pretty price haha. Loading xp on it as I type this. It's amazingly tiny and fast.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still doing research on battery compatibility. I get employee discounts and sometimes free stuff from asus so if it is possible, I will be patiently waiting for a bigger battery when they offer me one. I am pretty sure a free one will pop up eventually. I like the shape of the 900 too and $200 is a pretty price haha. Loading xp on it as I type this. It's amazingly tiny and fast.

Yeah, I like just about everything about the EEE 900. The only problems are the small keys (which I could get used to, but still, other UMPCs have proper keyboards), and short battery life.

I'm waiting to see how the Dell one shapes up currently.

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #30 of 57
I just picked up a 1000H for about 410 after my 25% Live ebay cashback. Should be here in a couple of days. For the money, it's hard to beat i'd say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back