Mini-laptops?
Aug 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #31 of 57
Biggest gripe for me is the screen. It'd be great if someone came out with a 1024*768 mini-laptop, but it looks like 1024*600 is going to be the standard for a while.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are these things really worth it? I've been looking at them and from what it looks like, they can run Counterstrike 1.6 and Starcraft pretty easily, which is the most demanding things I really do on my desktop...

Anyway, is it really difficult to type on those things? Which are the best ones? Anything I should really look for?

I know I can deal with 4GB of memory and I'd prefer to use XP. Any help?

Make sure you get one with the new Atom processor. I think the Dell Mini 9 is the cheapest with this processor and that form factor.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by briank996 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you get one with the new Atom processor. I think the Dell Mini 9 is the cheapest with this processor and that form factor.

QVC just had a intro special on them and I got an order in at their intro price. Looking forward to getting it in Oct.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #34 of 57
S10 looks VERY promising. MSI wind are also pretty nice. EEE's and the Aspire One's are at great price points, and if you can live with their drawbacks, are perfect.

Subnotebooks, netbooks or whatever you want to call them aren't for people looking for a primary pc. They're for those looking as a little toy on the side, to go alongside their main notebook or desktop. You pay more because of size, weight and convenience. I know I can spent a few hundred more for a much better spec'd laptop, but I already have a PC that can do that. I want something small and light I can toss in a messenger bag.

I'm an early adopter and got the 701 when it came out. I still have it, even though the 901's aren't that much more. I'd love an S10 or Wind, but I don't use it enough to justify the costs at the moment. I'm drowning in enough debt as it is lol. I just ordered a dell wireless card so I can go install Tiger on it
biggrin.gif
Not that lame crippled crap that was on gizmodo today, a nearly full working OSX on my eee(slower animations, and slower clock). I can live with that.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #35 of 57
Still carry around my Fujitsu P1610 everywhere I go. Love the 1280x768 screen. If it had an active digitizer it would be perfect, but Wacom won't get a clue and make digitizers for Tablet PC's in the 7-10" range. Didn't stop them from making a practically useless one for the tiny OQO and OQO2.

-Ed

Sep 25, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #36 of 57
I am having the hardest time preventing myself from ordering the Lenovo IdeaPad S10 or the Dell Inspiron Mini. Leaning towards the Lenovo.

The only thing that will stop me is if new aluminum MacBooks are released soon and they get a price cut.

--Chris

Sep 25, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #37 of 57
I was planning to get one of those netbooks for college, but I found it too amusing looking at people's reactions when I pull out a gaudy-colored 17" Gateway laptop.
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #38 of 57
I just got the Inspiron Mini 9, and I'm looking for a ubuntu-ready usb 2.0 cd-rom drive to buy for it, does anyone have any suggestions? preferably something that can rip music fairly well? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was planning to get one of those netbooks for college, but I found it too amusing looking at people's reactions when I pull out a gaudy-colored 17" Gateway laptop.
tongue.gif

Same as you, gateway 17" laptop, thing weights over 10 lbs, ain't for nannies! But I only use it in my office and at home, so I carry it twice a day.

I'm considering getting a mini laptop because of the battery life... 6 hours is enough to go somewhere and work while 2 hours is very short from worth the trip.

Oct 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same as you, gateway 17" laptop, thing weights over 10 lbs, ain't for nannies! But I only use it in my office and at home, so I carry it twice a day.

I'm considering getting a mini laptop because of the battery life... 6 hours is enough to go somewhere and work while 2 hours is very short from worth the trip.

Two hours? Mine lasts three on the Power Saver battery plan.

Oct 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #41 of 57
Gateway FX series? I got one here, awesome machines for the money. I get around 3 hours too, and lugging it back and forth from school/work on public transit isn't a fun task.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gateway FX series? I got one here, awesome machines for the money. I get around 3 hours too, and lugging it back and forth from school/work on public transit isn't a fun task.

Ugh, tell me about it. In my spare time i also upgraded the CPU to a T9300 and the screen to a Gateway WUXGA. So now I like it better, and I'm forced to place higher value on it.
wink.gif

The speakers darn suck though, and I wish the keyboard was backlit. The latest upcoming FX laptop however does have the backlit keyboard wish, and it's possible to swap out the keyboard models, sooo...yeah.
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #43 of 57
Yeah, just got my T9300 in, but no thermal grease for it. Thank god it has optical out, solves a lot of its audio woes. A small, cheap netbook might be a perfect complement for this beast, but I'm thinking of a tablet too, to take notes in class.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, just got my T9300 in, but no thermal grease for it. Thank god it has optical out, solves a lot of its audio woes. A small, cheap netbook might be a perfect complement for this beast, but I'm thinking of a tablet too, to take notes in class.

The hell? Mine doesn't have optical out. But then again I have the first-gen FX, the P-6831.

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #45 of 57
Weird, should be part of the headphone out. Just need an adapter for it. They list it as the SPDIF output. Really dunno, I thought all FXs shared a lot of components, just the CPU and other random bits and pieces different. Then again, I got the P-6860Fx, maybe different insides, I suppose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back