Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Jul 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #572 of 1,063
So Muse Dac die only by plugging it in wrong adapter and leave it play for long time without cool down? 
Will this this cheap DC 9v 1000mA adapter work well? It's only 5$ but i think the original 12V adapter of Muse Dac is around this price too.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #573 of 1,063
Wel een goeie deal... maar niet zo'n slimme actie :wink:

I tried an A/C 9V too by accident. Fortunate for me the first thing I do is open it up and start modding. So I had my finger on the LM... to see the effect of 9V and noticed it getting really hot.
That's called Murphys law: if you don't check things that can go wong eventually will go wrong.

So Proids: check if your adapter is D/C. It looks like it is an A/C adapter. 9V D/C 1A is ok.

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #574 of 1,063
Hi all I found this thread when I was looking for a cheap and good DAC for my PC here. After reading through the first and last few pages I went ahead and ordered one of these ones. I'm just a little concerned about the overheating. Will this happen even in a stock config? I'm not going to be doing any modding. So is it still recommended to run it on 9v DC if possible? I have an old brick of a DC adapter here that can put out 1.5v to 12v @ 1200mA. Would that run it safely? I really wouldn't want this DAC to burn out on me.

While I'm waiting for it to arrive I tried using my old Sony MZ-R50 minidisc recorder as a makeshift DAC. I have to engage recording mode to get the sound to pass through it, but I do so by holding down the pause button before hitting record. Would this cause any unneccesary strain on the recording head even if it's paused? There's no sound coming from inside when paused so I'm not sure if the recording mechanism is fully activated until I unpause it. I just don't want to wear out my MD recorder.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #575 of 1,063
Hi fumbles, and wellcome. :)

If you really need to be sure, take a multimeter and measure the DC output. Anything <10.5V will be fine (checked on a Teradak PS, ran cool).

About the MD. If you set it on pause the disc is turning and standby for recording. IIRC the minidisc was magneto-optical. So no touching parts to wear out. But if it's your baby, treat it as such.

I allso have a Sharp portable MD, but I haven't used it in > 10y. It still works, only the battery is dead. It was one hell of a portable solution back then. Now it's only nostalgia; I only (ab)use my phone for portable use (yeah, you can slap me :rolleyes: ).

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #576 of 1,063
Just finished the first phase of mods.
biggrin.gif
 So far so good! Its still working 
beerchug.gif

A pic of the modded muse

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #579 of 1,063

Quote:
Caps looks wonderful but analog IC looks ... much less wonderful :))

Thanks, gonna post more pictures as soon as get back home.

Quote:

Where did you get that huge capacitor :O

Do you mean the output caps? If yes, those are PIO russian caps (OKBG-MH 1uF/600V). Im addicted to the sound they produce
k701smile.gif

PS: They came from ebay.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #581 of 1,063
Nice work Chefano. Those are some monster caps.
eek.gif
  Looks like you modded those caps with a DAC.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Do you mean the output caps? If yes, those are PIO russian caps (OKBG-MH 1uF/600V). Im addicted to the sound they produce
k701smile.gif
PS: They came from ebay.

Give some Russian K73-16 PETP a try. They are relatively compact, inexpensive, and they sound great.
L3000.gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #583 of 1,063
Hi Guys! - new here so please don't flame me out, at least for my very first post...
tongue_smile.gif

I just got a Muse dac and have been modding it like crazy. If anyone's interested in the mods, I'll share them in due course.

Anyway the point of this post is - I may have found the reason so many Muse minis are dying prematurely. Mine has a 5V
regulator fitted where it should have a 3.3 volt one. That's in the power supply to the DIR9001 which does not like to get
more than 3.6V. When I removed the offending 5V regulator (right next to the input selector switch) the silk screen underneath
does indeed say it needs to be 3.3V. I have fitted an LM317L (220 / 330R) to give 3.1V and all is fine.

Bottom line is - if you have one of these its worth checking the markings on your AMS1117 reg and if it says 5.0 switch off
immediately!

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #584 of 1,063

Quote:
Hi Guys! - new here so please don't flame me out, at least for my very first post...
tongue_smile.gif

I just got a Muse dac and have been modding it like crazy. If anyone's interested in the mods, I'll share them in due course.

Anyway the point of this post is - I may have found the reason so many Muse minis are dying prematurely. Mine has a 5V
regulator fitted where it should have a 3.3 volt one. That's in the power supply to the DIR9001 which does not like to get
more than 3.6V. When I removed the offending 5V regulator (right next to the input selector switch) the silk screen underneath
does indeed say it needs to be 3.3V. I have fitted an LM317L (220 / 330R) to give 3.1V and all is fine.

Bottom line is - if you have one of these its worth checking the markings on your AMS1117 reg and if it says 5.0 switch off
immediately!

That is poor QC on Muse's part.
tongue_smile.gif
  My DAC has the AMS1117, 3.3V.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #585 of 1,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapientiam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

immediately!

Good catch!  I checked my dac and I also have the AMS1117 5.0.  I ordered the 3.3 version today.  Am still waiting for a Teralink X2 USB to SPDIF converter.  Once that and the 3.3v regulator come in will fire up the DAC.  I measured all the resistors and think R2 is bad.  Anyone know the value for this one?  I measured 1 Mohm which I think means that its hosed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back