Ming Da MC 84C07 - need help...
Jun 26, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #17 of 24
 Sure thing, glad I could help. I have no idea why something like that isn't stickied but oh well, it's bookmarked in both my browsers now.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #18 of 24
Hi again,

I was asking Pacific Valve for tube recommendations and they told me I was supposed to receive to free JJ Tesla El84 tubes with my order. Can anyone tell me if this will be a noticeable improvement over the stock EL 84 tubes?

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #19 of 24
Hi guys, just more questions about the Ming Da:

1. It gets really hot. Is it safe to leave it on the entire day?

2. How many hours do you recommend burning it in? I'm currently trying to do burn-in (along with my K701 which has about 160 hours so far)?

Really enjoying the amp so far. Now, I don't want to listen to the K701 without it. But I'm waiting for the JJ El84 tubes Pacific Valve sent to see how that will change the sound. Tube rolling sounds tempting, but I'm trying to take my time and get used to the sound of the stock tubes before trying anything.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #20 of 24
When you hear what the K701 is capable of with tubes - you don't want to go back to solid state.  That k701 and MD combo has a bang on neutral tonality that is also very musical.  With solid state the K701 leans a little forward of neutrality and much less musically engaging.

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #22 of 24
Thanks SP Wild. Ok, well that sounds encouraging for the Ming Da + K701 combo. (Then again the M-Stage will probably be with me by tomorrow and that made me think...)

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #23 of 24
I have the Ming-da + K701 and am listening to the new production JJ EL84s right now. Those combined with a pair of EI 12ax7s have gotten the best sound I've heard so far out of this little amp. I've had the K701 for almost 2 years and never really cared that much for them until hitting on this combo now I can't get them off my head. I haven't tried any NOS EL84s yet and just got the JJs because they were available locally but I'm more than pleasantly surprised how good they sound. I've also tried EI EL84, GE 5751s and new Tung Sol 12ax7 and the JJ + EI 12ax7 clicked. I'll definitely be trying some other NOS tubes in the coming months.

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #24 of 24
Hey kstaken -- Thanks. Pacific Valve is actually sending free JJ EL84 tubes (I think they were supposed to be a freebie with my order, but they forgot to include them). I'll probably try those once I get them (read good things about them here...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back