Millett Tube Portable amp
Feb 9, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #76 of 371
a bit of a thread ressurection to see about getting Pete's attention to see if we can get an update to find out how close we are to a release of this amp and a final price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #77 of 371
Sorry for being so quiet.

I'm still working on getting it into production. One way or another, this thing will be available for sale, probably in April. I would still expect it to sell for under $450.

Stay tuned!

Pete

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #79 of 371
Put me down for one Pete.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #82 of 371
Bump for update - certainly beta testers are needed soon?
orphsmile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #84 of 371
Curious, if Headroom is selling a Millet Hybrid and Millet is selling a Hybrid then whose Hybrid is whose, I mean, what are the differences besides price? There's a link on Millets DIY site to AudioExpress that published a DIY Hybrid. R these all the same design? Did Headroom change out any caps or pot or do some other upgrade? Pete? Tyll? Maybe someone from the Chicago meet-up will audition one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers Big Ears

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #85 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit off-topic, but Pete Millet will be attending the International Meet in San Jose this April and he has confirmed that he should have a couple of these beauties with him for members to try out. I am STOKED!

He also accepted an invitation to join the panel of amp manufacturers who will be speaking on Saturday evening! Once again, STOKED!
tongue.gif

Ahhhh! Very Nice On Both Counts!

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #86 of 371
Headroom worked with Pete to make their own Millet Hybrid, but there's plenty of modifications that Headroom added/changed. At least that's what I remember reading somewhere.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #87 of 371
Hi all. Sorry for the continued delay on the availability of the portable tube hybrid. The cat should be out of the bag soon... the amp will be available, hopefully, next month. Stay tuned.

--------------

As for all the "Millett hybrids"... maybe some history will help.

The original Millett Hybrid was a DIY project that I published in AudioXpress. The premise behind the project was a safe (read: low voltage), inexpensive tube audio project, intended to introduce folks to the sound of tube audio. Maybe 100 of the original PCB's were sold through DIYCable.com. Many others built the circuit point-to-point.

Next came the improved versions... Nate and Drew's boards (probably more of them built than the original) - http://www.diyforums.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2.

I worked with HeadRoom to do a "HeadRoom" version, which basically married HeadRoom modules to a tube front end. These used the module's output stage instead of a buffer, and provided the HeadRoom processing.

Now, Colin Toole has a newer improved version of PCB's now as well (http://headwize.com/ubb/showpost.php...=58137&fpage=2 and http://www.diyforums.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=292)

The portable Millett hybrid I designed is a bit different than the original, as it uses submini battery tubes and a different output buffer... but it shares the same basic architecture, and hey, "Millett" designed it, so I kept the name
smily_headphones1.gif
(Actually I think the portable sounds better then the original.)

Who knows where it will go next... I'm honored that my name is still attached to the design that's evolved so much.

Pete

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #88 of 371
Thanks for the update Pete.

From your post I'm assuming it's going to be one of the existing headphone amp companies selling the portable not you personally, would this be correct?

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #90 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmillett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who knows where it will go next... I'm honored that my name is still attached to the design that's evolved so much.

Pete

And we're honored that you're so giving of your designs, Pete. We can't thank you enough for that!

Also, you've got email...

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back