Mid-to-High-End 'Phones
May 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #16 of 33
If you do get anything recabled, 5' is too short. I would say at least 7 and probably 10'

May 7, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do get anything recabled, 5' is too short. I would say at least 7 and probably 10'

Personally anything more than 6ft drives me crazy and 5ft is just about perfect for me but I suppose the cable length could be an issue if you end up selling the headphones.

I'd also recommend the D2000 since they're extremely comfy and can be easily modded for better sound.

May 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linchpin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally anything more than 6ft drives me crazy and 5ft is just about perfect for me but I suppose the cable length could be an issue if you end up selling the headphones.

I'd also recommend the D2000 since they're extremely comfy and can be easily modded for better sound.

What's the actual difference between 600ohm and 250ohm DT880s using the Compass?

I just gave Moon Audio a call and asked about the Denon D2000 v. Beyer DT880. Those two are on the short list--I guess I can remove AKG from that list. I'm not sure though--the Denons are 25ohm & Beyers 250ohm or 600ohm. How much of a difference will that have with the Compass? And which is more comfortable? I'm leaning back closer to the DT880 because they're open phones, which means I won't have the steam-up issue.
beyersmile.png

May 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #19 of 33
Based on your music preferences, I have to throw a Grado into the mix, either the SR-225i, SR-325is, or a used RS-2. All of your options are very very good, along with the comments from everyone. However, if you enjoy rock, you have to try a Grado to understand how they tend to excel with it. Distorted guitars are their specialty, but overall they are very good for most recording. Also, if you enjoy acoustic music, the Grados sound very good, but they are open, so sound leak may be an issue for you.

Another lower-priced option is to start with a SR-60i (~$80), and see if you like it. They capture 80%+ of the sound of their larger brothers, for a very reasonable price.

May 7, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 33
Were you seriously considering the K-701 for that list of bands? K-701 fanboys are legion, but come on. AKGs are best for vocal and acoustic music. If you want to listen to a jazz combo recorded live at a club in the 1950s, then go with AKG.

The DT880 is a better choice for your music, but why aren't you considering Grado or Sennheiser? The HD-650 can rock - assuming you use a real amp - but the best bet would be the Grado RS-1. The RS-1 will kick mucho ass with your music and you won't know how you ever lived without one.

Skip the recable unless you do it yourself. Otherwise, it's just taking three digits out of your wallet and putting it in another wallet that's not yours. Do not believe everything you read, either. Including my post, for that matter. Ask lots of questions and I highly recommend you don't accept testimonials as "proof." Keep in mind that message boards are awash in shills. The "impressions" you read may have gotten there in exchange for a free cable or some cash.

May 7, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 33
For closed headphones in your price range, I, along with a few others here, think the AH-D2000 might be a worthy option. They're tipped nicely forward for rock and are forgiving of older recordings, but without loss of detail. The D5000, if you can find them used in the given price range, represent a definite improvement over the (stock) D2000, but I still prefer the slight forwardness and added excitement of the D2000 for rock.

For open headphones, the Grado 225i are a great place to start, especially given your listening preferences. If you really like the 225i, then the 325i are a logical step from there.

May 7, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

7 feet if you do most of your listening sitting up; 10 feet if you plan to lie down. : )

May 8, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7 feet if you do most of your listening sitting up; 10 feet if you plan to lie down. : )

I mostly listen next to my computer. 5' will be a long length as it is. How difficult is DIY re-termination? I'd really just want to shorten the cord--10' for an amplifier placed on my desk or on top of my PC is MUCH too long. 5' would be optimal for me. As for portable use... either terminate in a 1/8" plug (and do something like buy a Little Dot portable amp--the Portable+ or MK I+ Portable) or just use my PortaPros. Or do both--so I can just unplug & unscrew for the new

Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 for it's most realistic sound of the list, simple as that.

That's what I was thinking. I called up Moon Audio for a price quote and it was acceptable. I also called up two Guitar Center stores to see about an audition. The store here in Florida has AKG K701s and the store back in New York has Beyer DT770s. Neither care any Grado headphones. I'd like to find somewhere to audition the entire range of Grado headphones--especially the SR- series. I'll see about accompanying my uncle on his next daytrip to the hi-fi store.

By the way... I didn't really consider Senn cans because I'm not the biggest fan of the signature sound. I've not tried the 600/650, though I would audition those as well. As for the Grados, I prefer comfortable headphones. But compared to the Beyer DT880s which supposedly have a neutral sound signature and good bass response and definition, I'm not sure that I want the headphones to be all too forgiving of poor mastering. As for the AKGs, the main reason they've been on my radar is the almost-flat response and supposedly top-quality definition. Plus, they're more affordable than the Beyers. The Ultrasone PRO 750s are on the radar too, but I can't find that much out about them. I'll call Guitar Center back tomorrow and see if they have the Ultrasones and the Senn HD-6x0s.

May 8, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did this to my Denon AHD5K's and 7K's so I could use my Ipod 5th gen 80gb in my pocket
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5582276-post843.html

That's a nice mod. I'd like to do something similar--have a 1/8" jack 3' or so down and then a 2-3' extension cord that screws onto that jack and terminates in a 1/4" jack. That would make it a lot more comfortable to use with my laptop on occasion (especially with a portable amp) as well as connect it to my main rig. What I'd also like to do is add a microphone somehow to it. I'm a PC gamer so my microphone is important.

May 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #27 of 33
I'm confused why you don't consider the dt990's 600 ohms. They're a great balanced with a touch more of treble and bass which make it pretty awesome for rock. The dt880 are detailed but it might not be as fun as the dt990's. and if you opt for the 600 ohms, you don't have to worry about all the talk about too much treble and not enough mids because that's only for the 250 ohm versions.

May 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused why you don't consider the dt990's 600 ohms. They're a great balanced with a touch more of treble and bass which make it pretty awesome for rock. The dt880 are detailed but it might not be as fun as the dt990's. and if you opt for the 600 ohms, you don't have to worry about all the talk about too much treble and not enough mids because that's only for the 250 ohm versions.

What I've heard about the DT990s is tha they're overly bassy and sound is less refined. The reason I don't buy Bose is because I don't want my bad recordings to sound decent, my decent recordings to sound great, and my great recordings to sound like crap.

May 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #29 of 33
I've had the 990's 250 ohm, and the K702's and I feel that the 990's are much more of what you say you are looking for. The bass is better than the 702's and I feel the mids and highs are pretty well refined. The only downside is that the 990's will require more amping to reach thier full potential. I ended up with the Denons because they outshine both the Beyers and AKGs in almost all areas and don't require much of an amp.

You really should find some Denons and have a listen. Right now I'm listening to an old pair of 1970"s Pioneer SE305s with Denon AHD2K drivers, dynamat Mods, and a Canare cable upgrade in them and they sound really incredible. Other than the fact that the earpads are thin. they compete with the Denons on at least the 5K level. I wish I could find a place to get just the drivers. I'd dig up all my old cans for a mod.

May 11, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the 990's 250 ohm, and the K702's and I feel that the 990's are much more of what you say you are looking for. The bass is better than the 702's and I feel the mids and highs are pretty well refined. The only downside is that the 990's will require more amping to reach thier full potential. I ended up with the Denons because they outshine both the Beyers and AKGs in almost all areas and don't require much of an amp.

You really should find some Denons and have a listen. Right now I'm listening to an old pair of 1970"s Pioneer SE305s with Denon AHD2K drivers, dynamat Mods, and a Canare cable upgrade in them and they sound really incredible. Other than the fact that the earpads are thin. they compete with the Denons on at least the 5K level. I wish I could find a place to get just the drivers. I'd dig up all my old cans for a mod.

So would the DT990s be fine/amped enough on a Compass? As for the Denons, I'd like to, but they're definitely a 'phone that I'd need to audition for a few hours I'd say. My problem with closed cans is that they get too hot and humid too quickly, which is why I'm hesitant about DT770s or D2000s. Otherwise, they sound like great 'cans. I was wondering if anyone in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale Metro had D2000s that they'd let a broke college student audition.
smily_headphones1.gif
And as I was trying to say with the thing about Bose--I don't really want cans that make bad music sound decent--I'd rather more accurate cans (DT880?) that reveal how bad it is while revealing how good other stuff can really be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back