Mid-to-High-End 'Phones
May 6, 2009 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Bobsama

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm looking forward to making a big fat purchase this summer. Being me, I'm looking into various cans for $250-350. Here's the options that I see for myself, in no particular order... I anticipate ordering either through Amazon or Moon Audio.

1) AKG K701
2) Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm
3) Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm
4) Ultrasone PRO 750
5) Other?

I've not decided entirely on source. Current thought is either a Zero DAC + Little Dot MK.V or an Audio-GD Compass. Either way, I'd be using the S/PDIF Optical Out. I'm not a huge fan of these Sennheiser HD-555s that I have, but they're good none the less. I've only been able to find the DT880 600ohm's through Moon Audio, and I was considering having them recable whatever purchase I make (assuming it'd be beneficial to the sound quality) with a 5' or so cable ending in a 1/4" jack. I don't anticipate being "portable" per say, as I run everything off my desktop PC.

Thoughts? Suggestions? How does Zero+MKV compare to the Compass?

May 6, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 33
Don't get them recabled so hastily. Fully audition the stock sound and only recable as last resort, when you have the amp, DAC and source all settled down. This way, you'll appreciate the "upgrade".

May 6, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 33
Never recable. You'll be wasting your money. Just spend your money in some of the cans from above, some DAC or something like that and you're done.

May 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 33
If you end up going with a K701 I would suggest taking the money you have for a recable and putting it toward a better amp. The MKV is decent for the money but can end up being a fatiguing combo with the K701, depending on what you're listening to. I'm finding much better synergy with tubes.

May 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 33
Perhaps you could tell us what type of music you listen to? If you are not a huge fan of the conservative HD555 perhaps a more exciting headphone will suit you more than what you are considering?

May 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 33
You'll get better SQ from the Compass than the Zero + MKV, much better SQ compared to the stock Zero especially, not to mention that Zeros have a habit of randomly dying and that Little Dot's quality control is very dependant on how busy they are.

Anyway...what kind of music do you like? I'd suggest a considerably more expensive rig for K701s though.

May 6, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 33
Rock & Hard Rock.

-AC/DC
-Aerosmith
-Blue Oyster Cult
-Guns N' Roses
-Iron Maiden
-Led Zeppelin
-Pink Floyd
-Queen
-U2
-Van Halen
-Velvet Underground
-The Who

How would the Compass do driving each phone? I don't care too much about reaching 100% potential (I'd have to spend more than the $500-600 that I'd like to spend to get that)? I wasn't too sure about the MKV/Zero combo and I noticed that, especially late, the Zero seemed to be getting a lot of random failures. Besides--the simpler, the better. At the moment, I simply can't decide between DT880 or K701. Both are really good headphones. I'm not a bass-head per say, but I am disappointed with the lack of impact from these HD-555s.

What about spending money on having the cable shortened? Retermination would make them more manageable. I was thinking of using a 6' optical cable, which basically means that a 5' headphone cable would be plenty, and that an extension cord would be a good idea. Part of that--is there any real difference between using a stereo-mini jack versus a stereo-phone jack? Or, more specifically, to use a screw-on mini-to-phone jack? I don't really mind having headphones terminate in a stereo-phono jack, but for occasion portable use that could break practicality (not that I'd mind all THAT much... I have PortaPros and they work well).

On a related note, I anticipate ordering DAC + AMP before I order new 'cans. HD-555s are good, but I'm still looking for better of course. Right now, they're unamped. With a $300 setup, however, they may be worth keeping for a while longer. I don't EQ my music and I never really plan to EQ it.

Another related note, with the HD-555s, I feel like the bass is just too washed out. It's not all there, especially on lower volumes. I don't like blasting my ears at 100 to get half-decent bass.

May 7, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may also want to throw the Denon AHD5k's into the mix. all around can that is easily modded to taste.

Beautiful headphones they are.
tongue.gif
My only slight issue with them is the $414 price tag. How are the D2000s? $255 is an easier pill to swallow. Other than that, how are open (K701) v. semiopen (DT880) v. closed cans (D5000) for overall sound quality? And the other thing is still, how does jack size affect them? Most of the time it'll be hooked up to a 1/4" phono jack though they may be, on occasion, connected to a 1/8" mini jack. I've been considering the Little Dot MK I+ portable, as a companion to a laptop.

May 7, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 33
The Denon AHD 2000's and 5000's have the same drivers. The difference is in the cups and cables. Although I can't tell any difference between the cables on the 2K's or 5K's and I've had them both apart. The 2 K's are also easily modded for a better SQ (Markl Mod)but adding wooden cups to them takes them up into the 5 K price range.

The 2K's and the 5 K's both have a 3.5mm termination with a screw on 6.3mm adapter. and there is such a small amount of contact issue with an adapter it's a non-issue

May 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon AHD 2000's and 5000's have the same drivers. The difference is in the cups and cables. Although I can't tell any difference between the cables on the 2K's or 5K's and I've had them both apart. The 2 K's are also easily modded for a better SQ (Markl Mod)but adding wooden cups to them takes them up into the 5 K price range.

The 2K's and the 5 K's both have a 3.5mm termination with a screw on 6.3mm adapter. and there is such a small amount of contact issue with an adapter it's a non-issue

The question with the D2000's is whether the (I'm assuming) plastic cups will be an issue when compared to the D5000's mahogany cups. If there's little/no difference other than aesthetics, the D2k would be my choice. How much are the various modifications versus stock setup?

May 7, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 33
If you were to get a compass, the D2K might be a good plan. The D5Ks, stock, to me sound like a K701 with a lot more bass, making them "fun" cans. The strange advantage of the Compass having a slightly lesser headphone amp inside than you'd get if you bought a dedicated amp (like it's bigger brother, the C2-C) is that the bass wont come out quite as strongly. It might also be a good pairing with Beyers, as I recall they had quite a strong treble, and the Compass has "soft" settings to gently reduce the treble.

If you do an advanced forum search of thread titles, or Google search for "Denon d5000 markl mod" the mod thread will come up which will explain everything. Basically, it stuffs the earpads more and heavily damps the headphones internally with car stereo damping material to stop the bass vibrating the whole headphone and smothering the sound.

May 7, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 33
Don't forget to add a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's to that list. I believe that when I bought them for $170ish that it may have been the best possible use for the money. I say along with many others (I even asked companies like ALO) will say to get them over the PRO 750's any day. And a plus is that it is much cheaper.

May 7, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 33
The plastic cups of the 2K's are not simply an asthetic difference from the 5K's. The 2 K's would require either the Dynamat part of the markl mod or wooden cups to compete with the 5K's. The Dynamat mod is an easy DIY and is just about 20 bucks for the dynamat. so for the price of the 2K's plus 20.00 you can have an SQ to compete with the 5K's. I've had both the 2K cables and 5K cables apart and they are identical in every way. The 7K cables are upgraded slighlty but I've had them apart as well and other than the fact that the 7K cable uses a single cable quad formation from the "Y" to the 6.3 plug and the 2K's and 5K's use two dual wires side by side in a shared nylon braided sleeve, they are pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back