Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Jul 28, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,081 of 1,871
Hi,
Is ISN CU4 still a good option if I want warmth with bass??
Thanks

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,082 of 1,871
Yes, absolutely. You got something a bit too bright, thin sounding or splashy. The ISN CU4 will help. What I appreciate about the CU4 is that it has a nice balanced transparency, naturalness, fullness and warmth without losing any detail if at all yet still manges to provide that added note weight and warmth. These are very comparable to EAs pure copper cables without the price tag.

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,083 of 1,871
Yet another update on this cable. I've been listening to it on and off for the entire day (between bathroom renovations and eating meals, LOL), and I am going to emphasize my opinion that this cable is a serious performer. Imagine your favorite UPOCC copper cable, of a substantial gauge, combined with your favorite pure silver cable of a similar gauge, and add a dose of soundstage and imaging and you'll come close to this cable. The bass is at least equal to the quality of the best pure copper cable I own, and the clarity and treble air is equal to the level of the best silver cable I own. They are combined perfectly to literally make every other "specialty cable" obsolete. And there is a special synergy between the metals used in this cable that make the overall impact, dynamics, and coherence special. Vocals are super clear and intelligible, but not sharp or biting. Bass is full and impactful, but not bloated or dominating. When the vocals take center stage, the background music is present, but not emphasized. Everything is extremely clear. There's no other way to put it. This cable is very well balanced.

After about 12 hours of listening with this cable, and after at least 30+ hours of burn-in, I would say that this cable combines the best of everything I've heard from pure copper and pure silver cables, and adds a significant amount of body and dynamics. There isn't one single frequency that stands out above the others. I've spent hours trying to find some indication of sibilance or bass bloat, but I can't find it. If anything could be improved, it would be a slight increase in 6-8k treble to bring a bit of bite to the sound. But that would throw off the balance. Everything is a tradeoff. This cable comes close to an ideal balance.

I'm going to listen to this throughout this week and see if things change, but for now I hope things don't change. This cable provides such a well balanced sound, with solid bass and airy treble, without being V-shaped in any way. I just adore the clarity of vocals without any hint of sibilance, along with solid, textured bass and adequate mid range. I've been looking for flaws in this cable for several hours and really haven't found any. I'm sure there's another cable out there that's "better", but for the price I haven't found anything remotely close. At $200, this cable stands out among the crowd as a super well-balanced option at a bargain price. I'll let you know if I find any flaws.

Did you purchase the Graphene version?

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #1,085 of 1,871
Hi guys,
I'm new to cables upgrade and I'm looking for a cable under 200$ for my IMR IEMs. I know there are a lot of choice in the market, but I shortlisted the following cable: Null Audio Epsilon, Kotori Carbon, Cema 22AWG, Effect Audio Cadmus and Ares S, XINHS cables
Anyone has a good experience with any of these cable or others and can give me recommendation? what is important for me if that the cable is soft and flexible and sound good
Thank you

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #1,086 of 1,871
Hi guys,
I'm new to cables upgrade and I'm looking for a cable under 200$ for my IMR IEMs. I know there are a lot of choice in the market, but I shortlisted the following cable: Null Audio Epsilon, Kotori Carbon, Cema 22AWG, Effect Audio Cadmus and Ares S, XINHS cables
Anyone has a good experience with any of these cable or others and can give me recommendation? what is important for me if that the cable is soft and flexible and sound good
Thank you
Hi. You should consider cables from Penon Audio too (or their sub-brand ISN). I was a cable-exceptic until for simple aesthetics, I wanted to put a XINHS cable to a Penon Serial IEM, and it was far worse than the stock cable.

Everything will depend on what you want to achieve: notes with more body, better definition and detail... etc. An all-rounder cable that has been very useful to me in all cases, and has never fail me with an IEM, is the ISN G4. The only drawback is that it is very ugly (at least for my taste :sweat_smile: )

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #1,087 of 1,871
Hi. You should consider cables from Penon Audio too (or their sub-brand ISN). I was a cable-exceptic until for simple aesthetics, I wanted to put a XINHS cable to a Penon Serial IEM, and it was far worse than the stock cable.

Everything will depend on what you want to achieve: notes with more body, better definition and detail... etc. An all-rounder cable that has been very useful to me in all cases, and has never fail me with an IEM, is the ISN G4. The only drawback is that it is very ugly (at least for my taste :sweat_smile: )
Hi, thank you for the recommendation. Well, I am not expecting that the cable will make a huge improvement in the sound, in particular knowing that my system is not extreamly resolving. I am not into hearing all details when listening to music. I just want to listen and enjoy, so a cable that can give more body to the notes will be what I'm looking for. In all cases, the most important aspect is that the cable should be soft, flexible and not very heavy
So I understand that you had bad experience with XINHS cable. May I ask which one you purchased?

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #1,088 of 1,871
So I understand that you had bad experience with XINHS cable. May I ask which one you purchased?
It's complicated, because other people on the forum have given good results. It also seems to be a matter of synergies with the IEM. I bought two 8 core graphene wires at a good deal. One on MMCX and one on 2 pin. Neither of them improved the stock cables that it was going to replace (CFA Solaris and Penon Serial). One of the characteristics of the Penon Serial that I like the most is the texture of the basses and percussions. The XINHS literally killed them. However, the MMCX in the end is set to my 7Hz Timeless and I'm happy. I also have this other one lying in a drawer because I can't find a partner for it.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #1,089 of 1,871
Hi, thank you for the recommendation. Well, I am not expecting that the cable will make a huge improvement in the sound, in particular knowing that my system is not extreamly resolving. I am not into hearing all details when listening to music. I just want to listen and enjoy, so a cable that can give more body to the notes will be what I'm looking for. In all cases, the most important aspect is that the cable should be soft, flexible and not very heavy
You're expectin well :) anyway it depends also on where do you live, you can find a local producer...

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,090 of 1,871
Effect Audio (AKA EA), Cadmus
EA image 1.jpg

TLDR: good stuff. If you've got the cheddar, it's worth it

I'm going to resist the urge to use superlatives like sublime and endgame. But my FiiO FD5's are now next level: Soundstage is notably wider and the mids/vocals are closer to the FD7. The FD5 is now more of a fraternal twin to the FD7, instead of just another family member; it's the fun sibling, with a little more color, than the more mature FD7.

The blind review brought to light that my findings run parallel to the copy, for the EA Cadmus:
(My review of the "37": link)
For the sake of expediency, I switched to my Pre-sets for the FiiO FD7 & with a few tweaks (to 125hz - 500hz), my FD5 (with the 37) now sounds better (for my liking), than my FD7, on the stock FiiO cable. While vocals have less color to them (than my normal setup for the FD5), the playback is more akin to the FD7, on the stock FD7 FiiO cable, but still lean towards the warm side. In other words, the combo of the proto 37 & the FD5 replicate the merits FD7 (fast bass and truer vocals), but with just enough emphasis to the lower mids, that the end result is leaning away from neutral, towards "fun".

When I hear others describe a sound signature as a W shape, this current setup is what I would envision. A clean, fast bass, true vocals and enough up top to make out all of those little details
(link to product page: URL)
Quote: "Boasting a premium UP-OCC Silver Plated Copper Litz cable, the low end is now bold but controlled. With the CADMUS, the star here is a higher resolution sound coupled with an outstanding treble response - providing for a right amount of crisp without sounding harsh."

Originally I took the gospel, from our resident "Cable guy" to heart and ditched the stock FD5 cable, for a high purity copper and the copper cable did it's job. Made the higher registers much more tolerable, for my diva ears. But the Cadmus cable does things to the perceived output that can quench my thirst for an FD6 (best of the FD5 & the FD7).

I'm still tweaking the 8khz and above. But the numbers are a clear indication of how the Cadmus changes the perceived output.
(overlay of FD5, with copper cable)
EA Cadmus PEQ vs FD5 Qudelix.jpg

Physical aspects
The cable itself is supple and not too heavy. I've found other cables can have a more rigid (imagine vinyl seat covers from the 70's), outer finish.
4-core strikes the best balance of performance to weight ratio, for me.

Termination options
This is the first time that I've had a cable where you can change the termination at the earpiece. The default is 2-pin and MMCX, Pentaconn, IPX and A2DC each cost $10.
1660077410551.png

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #1,091 of 1,871
Hi, Just picked up my End game IEM's UM MEST MK2, Stupidly bought it with the 3.5mm cable and now looking to pickup a 4.4mm cable moving forward. Any suggestions on Quality cables (Very controversial but I lean more towards the look/feel/quality/flexibility side of upgrade cables), Love the look of copper cables, Open to cables that have swappable connectors, What cables do you guys suggest? Thanks

Aug 12, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #1,092 of 1,871
Hi, Just picked up my End game IEM's UM MEST MK2, Stupidly bought it with the 3.5mm cable and now looking to pickup a 4.4mm cable moving forward. Any suggestions on Quality cables (Very controversial but I lean more towards the look/feel/quality/flexibility side of upgrade cables), Love the look of copper cables, Open to cables that have swappable connectors, What cables do you guys suggest? Thanks
The Dunu Amber is one way to go. Only one available left on Aliexpress from the Dunu Official Store.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004512518162.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.65291802j8doAm

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #1,093 of 1,871
Aug 12, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #1,094 of 1,871
Éros S (8 wires) seems to be great.

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #1,095 of 1,871
Ill check this one out, Have you heard of the EA Ares S? I have heard its a decent match up with Hybrid IEMs
No. I have not tried any Effect Audio cables. I hear good things about their cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back