Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Jul 8, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #1,066 of 1,825
The Null Audio Lune Mark VII at $119 is tempting. Does anyone have experience with this cable's ergonomics and any sound impressions?

Also, I assume the $119 is for 4 braid with $80 additional for 8 braid per website...is that correct?
I am going to get the Epsilon myself along with an updated Nyx+, their new BT cable which now supports LDAC and aptX Adaptive. I have no experience with Null’s iem cables, but can confirm the $80 charge is for the upgrade from 4 to 8 cores.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,067 of 1,825
Hi Folks, I'm hoping for a bit of guidance please. I'm reading conflicting reports on whether cables will affect the sound of an IEM. That discussion aside I am interested in an upgrade cable for my new Blessing 2: Dusk that won't alter the sound of the IEMs. I generally prefer a thinner, flexible cable with moderately stiff memory wire on the ear hooks (for better stability; I'm open to being convinced otherwise there).

Some very helpful folks in the budget cables thread pointed me to a spreadsheet with some reviews on cheaper cables but no data on how they affect sound. I don't mind spending a bit more (read: up to about $100 USD but less is better) for a quality experience, hence also why I'm here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,068 of 1,825
What part of the Blessing 2 dusk would you like to enhance. Its detail aspect? Mids bass with less treble or the opposite more treble and detail with less bass emphasis?

I personally love the Penon GS849 on my Blessing 2. Fixes the lack of fullness and dynamics for the standard blessing 2. I have not tried it on the Dusk so I have no idea how well it synergizes with it. This cable will bring some significant changes for the better but it costs $150. You can get the
1657296691623.png

You can get the ISN GS4 which is the 4 cored version of the GS849 for less than $100
1657298473479.png

https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-gs4.html
The difference in 4 cored and a much more thicker 8 cored version is the difference in material thickness which influences the IEM sound more so than the 4 cored. Both do the same thing as far as sound shaping goes but the 8 cored version usually gives a thicker note weight and a slight expansion of stage over the 4 cored variant.

If you want something that will be a clear upgrade from the included cable with a smoother treble response the ISN G4 is what I would recommend. https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-g4.html
1657299146638.png

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #1,069 of 1,825
What part of the Blessing 2 dusk would you like to enhance. Its detail aspect? Mids bass with less treble or the opposite more treble and detail with less bass emphasis?

I personally love the Penon GS849 on my Blessing 2. Fixes the lack of fullness and dynamics for the standard blessing 2. I have not tried it on the Dusk so I have no idea how well it synergizes with it. This cable will bring some significant changes for the better but it costs $150. You can get the
1657296691623.png

You can get the ISN GS4 which is the 4 cored version of the GS849 for less than $100
1657298473479.png
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-gs4.html
The difference in 4 cored and a much more thicker 8 cored version is the difference in material thickness which influences the IEM sound more so than the 4 cored. Both do the same thing as far as sound shaping goes but the 8 cored version usually gives a thicker note weight and a slight expansion of stage over the 4 cored variant.

If you want something that will be a clear upgrade from the included cable with a smoother treble response the ISN G4 is what I would recommend. https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-g4.html
1657299146638.png
Thank you! That was very kind of you to write such a thoughtful response. I'm not looking to enhance any aspect of its sound. Truth be told I haven't even received it in the mail yet. Rather many of the reviews I've read panned the stock cable and either outright recommended replacement or identified it as ripe for doing so. This IEM is probably going to be my most expensive, highest quality one and so I'd like the cable to be part of that experience (wow don't I sound snob-like).

That being said, if not modifying the sound isn't an option I expect I'll need to to listen and answer your question later?

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,070 of 1,825
My best advise for you is to actually get the IEMs first and hear how they are for you, you might like them just the way they sound with included cable. I would imagine the stock cable is the same copper cable I got with the Blessing 2. Which is an ok cable it is a higher quality copper cable but very thin and unremarkable in what it does. It wont take anything away from the Dusk but wont really add anything in the process. You might not need an upgraded cable is my point, especially if you like the sound the way it is.

Headfi will tell you, you need a nice higher end cable to go along with a nice higher end hybrid IEM but that comes down to the individual more than anything. If you really like how the dusk performs for you. You can always get a nicely resolving cheaper SPC type cable that will enhance everything about the sound and call it good. But if you like how it sounds with the included cable than the cable is not an issue. You can always get a nicer cable later but you have to get to know your IEM first. That always should be the first thing you do.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #1,071 of 1,825
My best advise for you is to actually get the IEMs first and hear how they are for you, you might like them just the way they sound with included cable. I would imagine the stock cable is the same copper cable I got with the Blessing 2. Which is an ok cable it is a higher quality copper cable but very thin and unremarkable in what it does. It wont take anything away from the Dusk but wont really add anything in the process. You might not need an upgraded cable is my point, especially if you like the sound the way it is.

Headfi will tell you, you need a nice higher end cable to go along with a nice higher end hybrid IEM but that comes down to the individual more than anything. If you really like how the dusk performs for you. You can always get a nicely resolving cheaper SPC type cable that will enhance everything about the sound and call it good. But if you like how it sounds with the included cable than the cable is not an issue. You can always get a nicer cable later but you have to get to know your IEM first. That always should be the first thing you do.
Interesting, makes sense. I'll give it a go and see. Thank you! Appreciate your help here.

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #1,073 of 1,825
What a beast! 😃
That cable is very tempting when it can be found at sale price.
How would you describe it's physical properties? (I usually favour cheap 16 core cables as they are the most 'limp' cables I have found despite being 'thick', and I value this above all other physical traits).
Does the thickness of this cable, or the apparently tight weave pattern make it stiff or inflexible?

Jul 8, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #1,074 of 1,825
That cable is very tempting when it can be found at sale price.
How would you describe it's physical properties? (I usually favour cheap 16 core cables as they are the most 'limp' cables I have found despite being 'thick', and I value this above all other physical traits).
Does the thickness of this cable, or the apparently tight weave pattern make it stiff or inflexible?
The Healer cable from Hakugei is excellent but very heavy still quite soft and flexable. I only use at home works best with heavier IEM like the Obsidian OH10 and has great symmetry with a brighter IEM. I actually prefer the little brother the Big Rice as its a very light 4 core or the graphiene XINHS cables.

Jul 9, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #1,075 of 1,825
The Healer cable from Hakugei is excellent but very heavy still quite soft and flexable. I only use at home works best with heavier IEM like the Obsidian OH10 and has great symmetry with a brighter IEM. I actually prefer the little brother the Big Rice as its a very light 4 core or the graphiene XINHS cables.
If it's soft & flexy then I can cope with the weight (that never seems to bother me, on occasion I've even listened via my Quedelix with it just hanging from my ears and it doesn't bother me as long as I'm using a fairly secure IEM.)
It'd be great if the Healer was available with black hardware to match my Elan's, but as far as I can see the choices are either green, or green.
I love that weave though.
Have you ever used a 16 strand cable? If so would you say the Healer is as flexible as them?

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #1,076 of 1,825
If it's soft & flexy then I can cope with the weight (that never seems to bother me, on occasion I've even listened via my Quedelix with it just hanging from my ears and it doesn't bother me as long as I'm using a fairly secure IEM.)
It'd be great if the Healer was available with black hardware to match my Elan's, but as far as I can see the choices are either green, or green.
I love that weave though.
Have you ever used a 16 strand cable? If so would you say the Healer is as flexible as them?
Definitely not as flexable as say the KBEAR 16 core that thing is like a noodle. Because the bottom weave is so tight I find it has no memory effects at all, never tangles either.

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #1,077 of 1,825
Thank you @Dsnuts for recommending the ISN G4. I get more resolution, details and precision with my Raptgo Hook X compared to a great OFC copper cable. It is the upgrade I have been looking for. Especially the mids have been a bit dull with the previous cable. The G4 really brings the sound of the Hook to another level.

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,078 of 1,825
Does anyone know which cable is this one? I found it in the box of a used sony n3, as replacement to the original, I saw on AliExpress a very similar one from okcsc, but not sure if could be the same

Attachments

• PXL_20220504_174721913.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220504_174721913.PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #1,079 of 1,825
Hello. A curiosity that I have, and I asked in the DIY Cables thread, but I did not have an answer. I get the impression that there are more of us in this thread and maybe someone knows.

In balanced cables, when all the cores of the cables are the same, there is no doubt, but... What happens when they are mixed cables. 2 copper cores, and two silver cores for example. Are the silver ones going to the positive ones, and the copper ones to the negative ones? The same question arises with shielded 2-core cables. For example, pure silver shielded with copper mesh. Does the main core go to the positives, and the mesh to the negatives?

I don't want to remove the heat seal and connector from mine to satisfy my curiosity, if anyone around here knows.

The thing is, I think it's important. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. In balanced cables, I think the signal goes through the positive, and the same inverted signal goes through the negative, so each signal would go through a different material (different conductivities and resistances) which can create effects that were not previously there in the original recording. In the case of SE cables, the waveform goes positive, and the reference is tied to the common wire or ground. In this case... the second material is hardly used, it only serves as a reference. Yes, it would be used in coaxial cases but only as shielding, but little else. Am I wrong about something?

Many thanks.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #1,080 of 1,825
In balanced cables, when all the cores of the cables are the same, there is no doubt, but... What happens when they are mixed cables. 2 copper cores, and two silver cores for example. Are the silver ones going to the positive ones, and the copper ones to the negative ones? The same question arises with shielded 2-core cables. For example, pure silver shielded with copper mesh. Does the main core go to the positives, and the mesh to the negatives?
Strictly speaking sound from an amplifier is AC, so there is no difference between + and -. If there are 2 different wires for the + and - wire this makes no sense. It can create a sound effect but technically it makes no sense. Same thing for coaxial headphone cable constructions where the core is different from the shield. I try to avoid such cables because this is not state of the art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back