Mid priced IEM cables thread.
May 15, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #1,021 of 1,871
Anyone try this cable I was think it might be a good pairing for my PENON Globe to give it some more upper energy? 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220514-211304_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20220514-211304_AliExpress.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,022 of 1,871
Anyone try this cable I was think it might be a good pairing for my PENON Globe to give it some more upper energy? 2
Anything with a good amount of silver in it will be a good match with the Globe. That particular cable I have no idea about but I can tell you something like the ISN S4 will be a good match with them. Which don't cost much but will be a nice upgrade on the included cable..

Again anything with a good amount of silver in it. Something like this as well
1652711257105.png

Penon orbit @ $99. Is a good match up.

May 17, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,023 of 1,871
08138C96-EA0D-4803-A2F8-4E9D3E63EBD0.jpeg

Le_Audio.Hk Custom Made 8-core Aurealis Litz type 6 iem cable with Pentaconn OFC 3.5mm plug (Around 153 USD for the cable itself and added 75 USD for the Pentaconn plug)
*I‘m using a moondrop s8 for testing and with a JVC spiral dots ++ tip
Sound synopsis: The cable is amazing. The vocals are sweet, imaging is accurate and center, The background was darker than stock cable and soundstage seemed noticeably wider. The only criticism is that the instruments Are slightly too thick, especially in symphonies (Get silver version instead for these genres). But solo violin sounded crisp and clear.
The build is very thick, with Teflon (TPU) insulation which makes it very comfortable and could be used for long sessions. It’s ever so slightly heavy tho.
One thing tho, you could only buy this in Hong Kong through Carousell (a local trading app) But i think home-made cables should be getting more attention nowadays, knowing that they have such high quality for such a affordable price.

Build: 9/10 (i wish it could be a few grams lighter)
Sound: 9/10 (would have wished to be slightly more neutral)
Service and delivery and etc.: 9.5/10 (10-11 days from order to arrival due to the Pentaconn plug needed ordering; customer service and whatsapp experience is good and fluid)
Overall: 9.5/10

His website: Leaudiohk.wixsite.com

May 21, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,025 of 1,871
Got this bad boy today:
C1D9614C-F344-4A32-9E83-56D2381333AC.jpeg

It’s the CEMA 22awg SPC cable and I had him use the “sword series” hardware instead of the standard carbon fibre style ones. It’s a nice beefy cable and looks great.
I'm interested in this cable too. Is it soft and flexible? how does it sound?

May 22, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #1,026 of 1,871
I'm interested in this cable too. Is it soft and flexible? how does it sound?
Very soft and flexible. I haven't done much back and forth with my other two cables (MEST mk2 stock and Xioafan AU06) but initial thoughts are it sounds great. Retains weight in the lower end and has plenty of top end sparkle.

May 23, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #1,028 of 1,871
Visually it is the same. Same blue/dark blue and copper/white pattern. As to the material, you have no choice but to trust (or not to trust) the honest word of the noble Chinese gentleman.

If you take at face value any BS which Ali sellers feed in their product description, well yeah, best of luck to you then.

Suggestion: try to ask hiclass to provide you with prove of the materials (hint: I already did that, the seller bounced).

you are going to see a bunch of silver and copper litz wires. Your locals or whoever will never be able to estimate the presence of palladium, gold or whatever fancy platinum is claimed to be present by means of visual inspection.

Guys, I don’t mean to start any fight. If anybody prefers to pay 3-5-10 times more for the snake oil, well, go ahead. It is your money anyways.

I analyze the information and have critical (skeptical) approach. with hiclass I see many red flags.
What makes you trust one supplier over the other?
Do you trust CEMA cables? If they all are feeding us BS on Ali, how do you evaluate quality?

When speaking of bad soldering, I had CEMA make me two cables for my lcd-xc. Both cables were soldered incorrectly, which I believe towards the mini-xlr plugs. I contacted the store and they asked for a video. I took the video comparing both cables with my original cable, and still they did not believe it. Then they requested I return the cable. I shipped it back, and they claimed I would be compensated for the trouble. They offered to repair both cables, which I doubt they even know how to, and offerd nothing in return for the time I wasted.

At least the other dude had hiclass ship them a replacement.

May 23, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,029 of 1,871
What makes you trust one supplier over the other?
I believe, the feedback from the HFers, who paid their own money for the product.

Do you trust CEMA cables? If they all are feeding us BS on Ali, how do you evaluate quality?
cema is more or less "safe" and predictable producer. He has been present since several years, has a vast track record on HF and on my local forum. At least you know what to expect.

I myself have one cema cable and would not say that I totally satisfied with the design. As mmcx started to loose connection, I couldn't simply remove it, because it was filled with compound. I do not know for what reason it was done. Had to cut off the old mmcx and put the new one - now one wire is several mm shorter than the other.
At least the other dude had hiclass ship them a replacement.
Well, yeah, good for him. Doesn't mean next one will be that lucky too, rrrright?

May 23, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,030 of 1,871
"At least you know what to expect"

I really have no idea. I like the super copper cable on my Arya, had no issues. But there are two cables that were not soldered correctly for my lcd-xc, and then the custom cable for my my Audio-Technica IEX1 which one ear side lost connection fairly quick. It makes me think the people hired to solder these cables are not the greatest.

No question CEMA has a better track record, but has not been the case with me. Also horrible customer support for that they did to me for the lcd-xc cables I ordered.
I'm interested in your comments about the bloated nonsense pricing on Ali, because I believe it in regards to all of these chi-fi cables.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,031 of 1,871
There are 3 other stores on Ali selling a Tianwaitian cable, with their versions looking like an exact 1:1 model. One of the stores confirmed the use of the same supplier.

All 3 stores, along with CEMA, purchase from the same manufacturer. The products are labeled as "Eagle", with variations of Eagle standard, Eagle sign, Eagle logo, or Hawk. Or labeled as a "Yingbiao" product. Same adapters and same DIY accessories, but cheaper. I'm not sure if CEMA has some sort of contract with the manufacturer with exclusives to the newest cables.

It's very likely that the Hiclass Tianwaitian cable is the exact cable as the CEMA one. I was going to purchase the Vulture series cable from CEMA, then realized what a fool I would be, paying such a bloated price for an Ali cable with the same trickery by the sellers as you pointed out earlier.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,032 of 1,871
The two cables I am about to show here are two of the 3 prototypes that were given out to various headfiers for feedback and impressions of them. I would like to thank @EffectAudio and @JordonEA for the opportunity to give my input on these new fandangled cables.
EF prototypes.jpg

Here are mine: (L) 37, (R) 38

To be honest. if I had known this was going to be a blind, blind testing, I would've passed, on doing an evaluation. As I'm not a reviewer, just a (sometimes overly) enthusiastic collector. Not knowing anything of the materials used, really highlights how much weight I put behind a cable being pretty and the virtues promoted by the manufacturer's advertisement.

I inadvertently got a 3.5mm, instead of a 2.5mm termination on the proto 38; which lead me to a dilemma, I don't have any single ended cables to compare against. Took me a moment to remember that I have the original Dunu, Zen cable (to use, against both prototypes):

8 Core, High-Purity Monocrystalline Silver-Plated Copper Litz Wire
Dunu base.jpg

Preliminary findings:
Both cables have a supple sheath and the overall weight is a comfortable wear.

Prototype 38
No discernable microphonics to speak of, as I took the 38 out for an extended walk. I have to tinker with the EQ settings, that I normally use for the FD5. As the mid base has some serious weight to it and the upper bands are coming through loud and clear

More to follow

Test songs:
Always and Forever, Heatwave
House of the Rising Sun, The Animals
Diamonds are Forever, Shirley Bassey
Hotel California, Eagles

*I'm not a purist, whatever it takes for the music to play correctly for my melon and my diva ears is good enough for me. Here's my music chain:
Amazon HD --> Samsung 20 --> Qudelix 5K, w/parametric EQ --> cable --> FiiO FD5

@EffectAudio @JordonEA

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,033 of 1,871
Prototype 38 (part deux)

I'm going to name these my "Throw back" cable (until we know if they make it to production). My favored music comes from the late 60's to mid 80's. When music was recorded to be played back on a stereophonic setup. If you had the money, you would have a set of Cerwin Vega, 15" speakers and a 55lb receiver.

The 38 is a sit back and relax, in a dimly lit room with a finger (or two) of your favorite sippin libation. The 38 has weight and presence, but in no way are they muddy. Also, as indicated by my attenuation to my pre-set PEQ settings for the FiiO FD5, the 38 does not sacrifice the upper bands, for the sake of low end authority.

The 38 (PEQ on the right) demonstrates their prowess in the lower mids and vocal range, by the amount of rough cuts that I made to the Qudelix-5K PEQ. On the left are my standard, PEQ pre-sets for the FiiO FD5. There was a bit too much sparkle for me in the 2kh range, but for most, this will be a positive.
FiiO FD5 PEQ comparison fro EA38.jpg

May 28, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #1,034 of 1,871
The fact that most people seem to favor proto 38 tells me that most IEMs are tuned towards the bright side of things to coax more detail out of them. But personal preference seems to lean towards a fuller, bass-tilted sound. For V-shaped IEMs, the bass is too bloated and heavy with 38. I just found this interesting.

May 29, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,035 of 1,871
Thanks for this! Purchased!
These have arrived and love the premium look and feel. The ear hooks were much too stiff for my ears and kept pushing the iem out of my ears. I removed the ear hooks and the cable now wraps over the ears perfectly. Great rec on these! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back