Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Apr 3, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #992 of 1,867
Ok so this is my take on the two new Tri audio cables. I was told the Wolframs RP was $200. It is on sale for $109. At that intro price. The Wolfram is a steal. It is clearly one of the best value pure silver cables I can think of not to mention it gives a unique flavoring to pure silver. You guys can read more about them here.
1649031434377.png

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-audio-wolfram-iem-cables.25774/

I also wrote up about the new Onyx cable. I would go with the Wolfram over the Onyx. While the Onyx is a solid SPC type cable it does nothing new but the Wolfram at $109 on Keephifi site is a crazy good price for these cable.

My Onyx review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-audio-onyx-iem-cable.25773/
1649031557477.png

Apr 4, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #993 of 1,867
Ok so this is my take on the two new Tri audio cables. I was told the Wolframs RP was $200. It is on sale for $109. At that intro price. The Wolfram is a steal. It is clearly one of the best value pure silver cables I can think of not to mention it gives a unique flavoring to pure silver. You guys can read more about them here.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-audio-wolfram-iem-cables.25774/

I also wrote up about the new Onyx cable. I would go with the Wolfram over the Onyx. While the Onyx is a solid SPC type cable it does nothing new but the Wolfram at $109 on Keephifi site is a crazy good price for these cable.

My Onyx review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-audio-onyx-iem-cable.25773/
Hi. How it's Wolfram compared to Penon Mix? If I already have the Mix, does it make sense to get the Wolfram for the collection?

It seems Wolfram is a pure silver core, shielded with a pure copper layer. Not just CPS. Maybe I'm wrong, but for me plated is a electro-deposit of a thin layer of a material on top (exterior) of other. Shield is an independent layer, in this case, of a different material. That's why I think it can be similar to Mix: in one case they are cores of different materials (copper and silver), and in this case it is a central silver core with a copper coaxial shield. I'm right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #994 of 1,867
Ya it is more shielded than plated. I wrote most of that review before posting, I found out it was shielded I will have to change my wording on my review later. I would say if you need a secondary cable for a different IEM I would go for the Wolfram. What is important is how I described what that cable does. It is difficult to go back to a stock cable after using the Wolfram. At the price they are asking for a set that cable is most definitely worth getting a set.

I havent done a head to head comparison to the Mix but I think the Wolfram is right up there with the Mix in what it does. It is at that level of cable. With the Mix you can tell it has more copper properties to what it does. The wolfram is more silver in what it does but with the copper element that smooths out that silver so ya while both cable use both copper and silver they are different in how they present sound. I think it is different enough to get a set especially if you want a cable that is just as good as the Mix but different at the same time for another IEM you use.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #995 of 1,867
I'm seeing if I can get the ConX connectors put on, the electronics repair shop just added solder rather than redoing the whole connection... if I do send it out to get the ConX I'll cut the old connectors off and take a pic or two of the inside
Any update on this? I've been watching the prices on Ali and even though there were several sales over the past month or so, these cables haven't dropped in price at all. I may just need to take the plunge. Was hoping to get some info on their performance before making the commitment, though... QC already has one strike against it, but I'd be willing to overlook that if the performance is good.

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #996 of 1,867
Any update on this? I've been watching the prices on Ali and even though there were several sales over the past month or so, these cables haven't dropped in price at all. I may just need to take the plunge. Was hoping to get some info on their performance before making the commitment, though... QC already has one strike against it, but I'd be willing to overlook that if the performance is good.
Still waiting for the replacement, tracking looks like I'll get it Monday

Edit: looks more like Wednesday now

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #997 of 1,867
Any recommendations for the MEST Mk2? I quite like the sound of the stock cable but am looking for something a little more "blingy". I've got a nice Cu-Au-Ag-Pd cable that I liked with some other IEMs but with the MEST I find it leans it out a bit too much.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #998 of 1,867
Any recommendations for the MEST Mk2? I quite like the sound of the stock cable but am looking for something a little more "blingy". I've got a nice Cu-Au-Ag-Pd cable that I liked with some other IEMs but with the MEST I find it leans it out a bit too much.
Yeah I actually need to find something for my se846 too, a little bit too bass heavy hahaha what's your cu-au-ag-pd cable? sounds overkill!

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,000 of 1,867
I've got the Xiaofan AU06s. It's a really nice cable and was perfect with my Oriveti O400 as that thrived with the extra sparkle.
Oh thats about 1/4 the price of the 846s, thats reasonable! Did it change the vocal signature for your oriveti O400?

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #1,001 of 1,867
Not
Oh thats about 1/4 the price of the 846s, thats reasonable! Did it change the vocal signature for your oriveti O400?
Not really, all I would say it did was give it a bit of extra air in the top end and maybe tightened up the bass slightly compare to the Effect Audio Ares II I'd been using prior to that.

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #1,002 of 1,867
I'm seeing if I can get the ConX connectors put on, the electronics repair shop just added solder rather than redoing the whole connection... if I do send it out to get the ConX I'll cut the old connectors off and take a pic or two of the inside
Received the replacement that was sent for free... the exact same problem of a loosely wired left ear connector... stay away from HICLASS audio on AliExpress, they ship junk

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #1,003 of 1,867
Wow, very disappointing. But I really appreciate your effort in bringing this info to the public. Too bad, the cable looked good.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,004 of 1,867
Getting the ConX upgrade/ repair is too expensive atm, if I get them fixed locally I'll report back... from looking at it myself it seems like a heat shrink sleeve around the solder points connection might do the trick, I'll probably try that myself

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #1,005 of 1,867
Received the replacement that was sent for free... the exact same problem of a loosely wired left ear connector... stay away from HICLASS audio on AliExpress, they ship junk
I tried the heat shrink, it seemed to help a bit but the problem was still there...I listened to a couple songs nonetheless and it was clear that the sound was very good, a noticeable improvement with slightly more detail and clarity in the treble... next time I have the money I'll send these cables to get the ConX upgrade, the sound seemed worth it

I was using dunu zen pro plugged into a xduoo mt604 with ibasso dx160 as the source, fyi

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back