Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Apr 18, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,006 of 1,849
Not

Not really, all I would say it did was give it a bit of extra air in the top end and maybe tightened up the bass slightly compare to the Effect Audio Ares II I'd been using prior to that.
Oh yes, I remember the Ares II and II+. Tried them quite a number of years back and found them pretty good for the price. I was actually thinking of getting their SPC Virtuoso, did you manage to compare that to your Xiaofans?

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #1,007 of 1,849
Oh yes, I remember the Ares II and II+. Tried them quite a number of years back and found them pretty good for the price. I was actually thinking of getting their SPC Virtuoso, did you manage to compare that to your Xiaofans?
I haven't tried the Ares II with the MEST Mk2 as I generally don't like it. It sounded great with the O400 but it's kind of stiff and a bit more microphonic than the rest of the cables I have.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,008 of 1,849
I haven't tried the Ares II with the MEST Mk2 as I generally don't like it. It sounded great with the O400 but it's kind of stiff and a bit more microphonic than the rest of the cables I have.
oh I didnt recall it being microphonic, anyway their cables are not as stiff anymore, in fact quite the opposite. No doubt their quality is really good but their recent launches pricing is very up north, need something more affordable. prolly will try the xiaofans

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,009 of 1,849
oh I didnt recall it being microphonic, anyway their cables are not as stiff anymore, in fact quite the opposite. No doubt their quality is really good but their recent launches pricing is very up north, need something more affordable. prolly will try the xiaofans
I think mine was a dud. I bought it secondhand and it just never seemed to be the quality I would have expected from a tier 1 brand (it was my first non-aliexpress cable). I can't really justify the prices for their higher end cables but I've got a line on a Grandioso Special Edition now that I'm considering, along with an Eletech Prudence. I'm leaning towards the Eletech as I think the hardware looks more "high-end".

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #1,010 of 1,849
I think mine was a dud. I bought it secondhand and it just never seemed to be the quality I would have expected from a tier 1 brand (it was my first non-aliexpress cable). I can't really justify the prices for their higher end cables but I've got a line on a Grandioso Special Edition now that I'm considering, along with an Eletech Prudence. I'm leaning towards the Eletech as I think the hardware looks more "high-end".
cool, are you able to try them before deciding though?

May 6, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #1,011 of 1,849
Ok so this is my take on the two new Tri audio cables. I was told the Wolframs RP was $200. It is on sale for $109. At that intro price. The Wolfram is a steal. It is clearly one of the best value pure silver cables I can think of not to mention it gives a unique flavoring to pure silver. You guys can read more about them here.
1649031434377.png

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-audio-wolfram-iem-cables.25774/

I also wrote up about the new Onyx cable. I would go with the Wolfram over the Onyx. While the Onyx is a solid SPC type cable it does nothing new but the Wolfram at $109 on Keephifi site is a crazy good price for these cable.

My Onyx review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-audio-onyx-iem-cable.25773/
1649031557477.png
Seems the discount is over!

May 6, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #1,012 of 1,849
KBEAR on aliexpress also sells these. I would wait for a good sales before biting. These are ok at the RP price but way better on sale especially the wolfram. And they always have sales.

May 6, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,014 of 1,849
Try this Ali vendor for the Wolfram as the pricing is good. I own this cable as well and totally agree with @Dsnuts about its sonics:

TRI Wolfram 4 Cores Earphone Cable OFC Shielding Pure Silver Upgrade 3.5mm 4.4mm MMCX/2PIN/QDC For I3 Pro HiFi Headphone Earbuds
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKy7xrc
Thanks for this! Purchased!

May 6, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,015 of 1,849
At the 100 price level those Wolframs are quite the good deal. They kinda remind me of the ISN AG8s a bit but at half the cost.

Speaking of cables. I was chosen to do a review of Effect Audios newest cables. Which are on their way. Will post time in depth impressions of them and what they look like on here. I will post some out of box impressions here next week.

May 6, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,016 of 1,849
At the 100 price level those Wolframs are quite the good deal. They kinda remind me of the ISN AG8s a bit but at half the cost.

Speaking of cables. I was chosen to do a review of Effect Audios newest cables. Which are on their way. Will post time in depth impressions of them and what they look like on here. I will post some out of box impressions here next week.
Looking forward to this review and the new Penon OS133 you mentioned to me.

May 6, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #1,017 of 1,849
OS133s is more for budget to mid fi level earphones I think they are a bit too simple for higher end stuff but for folks that need a good cable used for balanced and don't want to spend a lot at $40 the OS133 are excellent thinner cables. I will be posting a review on them this weekend, as I have to take a bunch of photos but otherwise the review is done. Will post a link to the review once I get done posting about it.
1651853980341.png

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #1,019 of 1,849
Effect Audio Prototypes. #38 and #32
DSC09840.JPG

The two cables I am about to show here are two of the 3 prototypes that were given out to various headfiers for feedback and impressions of them. I would like to thank @EffectAudio and @JordonEA for the opportunity to give my input on these new fandangled cables.

First there is cable #32.
DSC09847.JPG

This cable was the most unique from what I have read from others that got to participate. It seems to be the only one out of the 3 that is a full 8 cores of the stuff. Initially I thought this cable was a pure silver cable variety as it is more analytical in how it presents sound. I assumed it was pure silver. If anything it has to have silver in its cores just due to the sheer transparency of these cables. I got word that it is a hybrid cable of copper and silver.

The #32 cables threw me for a bit of a loop as I was going back and forth from my other pure silver cables comparing them. It is like pure silver in many ways. The 32 cable does not accentuate and or highlight bass and thicken mids like pure copper does, it tightens bass lines more so a lot like pure silver. Its focus is more upper mids and treble vs adding any warmth or a fuller body of sound just like pure silver. Again more silver in properties. What is apparent after using them on easily over a dozen IEMs. These are some of the most transparent cables I have ever had the opportunity to try out. If there was such a thing as an analytical cable. These would be it.

Details, imaging are enhanced especially around the upper mid region with an added width of stage. I noticed these cables do not enhance depth as much as I would have liked but more width of sound. Again going back to that idea of being more neutral analytical in sound shaping form. It increases the technicalities of earphones they are attached to. Tonality can change from a warmer to cooler tonality, from using this cable.
DSC09839.JPG

So if they enhance technical traits, lifting the tonality of a given IEM to be a bit on the brighter side. Then it dawned on me these would be a perfect match for more warm smooth, dark sounding IEMs. Yes it was one of those Aha moments you get when you figure out a puzzle of sorts. A sound puzzle. Where have I heard this presentation on a cable before? Hmm. The warmest sounding earphones I tested them on are the Shozy SCB2 or B2 it is called, the Sony Z5, ISN EST50 and last but not least the Penon Volts.
So these cables are not a good match for earphones that are already highly detailed and has the descriptor of being analytical in the first place. Enhancing detail that is already detailed is a no no. Meaning it might be a bit too much. However, full bodied warmer sounding earphones. It brings such earphones into a completely different realm.
On the Shozy B2 which is tuned a bit like an ear bud. More bass mids than upper mids and treble, and L shaped signature. These are like a warm blanket on a cold winter's day. Full bodied and very musical. Adding the #32 cable on these enhances them to the point where they sound like A TOTL type dynamic earphone. No exaggeration.

Another Aha moment. The included cable on the Shozy SCB4 also happens to be a thinner 4 cored variety of a similar hybrid make up. It is mostly pure silver but with strands of crystal copper mixed in the weaves. This particular cable seems to be the closest to the #32 cable as any other cable I compared them to. The #32 cable having much more material vs the ISN SC4. The added clarity, stage, details and imaging was evident. So basically the #32 is like a premium version of the SC4 cable. Both showing very similar tonal character. Aha much like the SC4 cable this #32 has to be mostly pure silver as it shows much more characteristics of silver than copper exactly like the SC4.

Positives
- Premium build,
- Supple, ear hooks that form to your ears.
- Highly detailed reference level presentation,
- Enhances upper mids, treble
- Enhances clarity
- Enhances technicalities, wider stage, imaging, detail with a better sound separation. l
- Matches well with dark, warm, smooth full bodied sounding earphones.
- Tightens bass notes- for non-emphasized bass fans. ( Could be good or bad)

Negatives
-Somewhat of a niche cable due to its highly analytical presentation
-will not match well with neutral bright, highly resolving or harmon based IEMs with much upper mid presence.
-Leans out lower mids presence and bass- is the reason why stage sounds enhanced,
-Clean sound signatures end up being brighter than they need to be.
-Not a good cable for bass fans. Not the most natural presentation for cable enhancement.
DSC09848.JPG

Overall, while #32 is one of those cables that will not match well with all types of earphones but when it does, it makes them sound on another level.

#32 cable certainly looks higher end, no question the build quality is top notch with some of the best hardware and materials in the industry. The cables are soft and supple which is excellent for a thicker cable build. These clearly show more silver traits in cable effects and will enhance detail and imaging of your earphone while adding a wider stage. The negatives are than they seem to need a thicker sounding warm profile for their full benefits to really enhance such signatures. These are the type of cables that non cable believers need to try out as these clearly make your earphones sound different. I think for enthusiasts that want something to offset the darkness and warmth of your earphones the #32 will work its magic on such earphones and show just how good those earphones can sound with the right matching cable.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #1,020 of 1,849
Effect Audio Prototype #38
DSC09843.JPG

Pure copper cables are a staple of a well-designed IEM. I will be the first to admit that in the past I have been skeptical of the myriad of copper descriptors and purity rankings among the industry. I mean when a manufacturer says it is 6N or 5N or 4N or UPOCC or Crystal copper. What's the difference, right? I suppose you gotta take their word on purity and their make up. Truth is, higher end copper cables serve a purpose in the industry and some of the very highest end copper cables end up costing more than gold plated silver cables.
Whatever the process may be to get a higher purity and or level of copper makes its way to some of the highest end earphones in the industry and the new #38 cable from Effect audio looks to be a new revision of their ARES II series of copper cables. Supposed to be priced similarly as well.
Looking upon the #38 cable is a 4 cored variety so I would assume when these cables will be available in the market they will have an 8 cored version which effectively will cost double. The #38 copper cables are the opposite of the #32 cables I previewed in what they do. These look like it is a weave of two types of copper or at least its litz structure. Don't know exactly the sound science behind this particular design but hey it looks like a newer type of copper cable as a result.
DSC09841.JPG

The workmanship of these cables need not to be mentioned as it has been covered extensively from others that has tried these or any Effect Audio cables. What separates Effect Audio cables is their use of some of the nicest looking/ premium accessories.

Being based on pure copper properties the #38 cable leans more on its influence for natural tonal qualities. You're a timbre head meaning you want the most natural sounding timbre for both vocals and instruments. These are the type of cables you want connected to your highest most resolving IEMS.

As I mentioned previously it is just my opinion based on more cable ownership than I would like to admit. Connecting a highly resolving pure silver type cable to a highly resolving IEM is like throwing gas on fire. You want to actually go the opposite of that. Peanut butter to Jelly. Yin and Yang. You want that opposite harmony to achieve best synergy for sound and here the #38 cable will match up well with analytical, highly detailed transparent IEMS. You want some smoothening of the edges if you will. All BA IEMs are notorious for having that “ BA timbre” You want to lessen that effect with a nicely resolving copper cable.

Taking something like Tansio Mirai Akiba which is a highly resolving hybrid and adding the prior #32 cable to it will yield a whole lot of ear fatigue pie. Matching a 7 Sonion BA+4Sonion EST IEM with the #38? Now we are talking. Absolute superb pairing on a flagship IEM of the caliber of the Akiba. Its dimensional and body of note seems to be enhanced, bass ability are as good as it gets using the #38 cable. Emphasis on natural, Musical in the right way.
DSC09838.JPG

Tansio Mirai earphones in general always have extended treble frequencies so I had to explore more of their earphones. The LANDs which is a Tribrid and the new Sands. The #38 cable presentation is consistent with the other Taniso Mirai earphones. These cables enhance musicality as a good copper cable should. These highly resolving IEMs I always thought did better with pure copper and the #38 has been a great match up. Now connecting them on the earphones the prior #32 cables match well with. Warm on warm just like bright connected to bright is never a good thing.

Pros
-Highly resolving copper cable,
-Spacious non restrictive sound enhancement.
-Musical adding a moderate body boost to the sound signature of any earphone it is attached to
-Bass lines gets a boost, Mids gets a slight boost, Clean in its treble presentation
-Dimensional in how it manipulates the mids. Adding a bit more depth
-Fluid and harmonious with analytical, bright neutral and or harmon based signatures
-Does not overly smooth out the treble.
-Clean and natural and well balanced presentation.
-Mostly versatile with a degree of synergy based on how colored or neutral your earphones' tuning is.

Cons
-Not 8 cores- which would add additional note weight and body
-Not the best matchup for warm, thick or dark sound signatures
-Not the most detailed presentation for cables. But this is not necessarily a con.
-Not revolutionary for copper sound.
DSC09845.JPG

Overall- Copper is analogous, smooth, musical. Emotive and grand in delivery and the #38 cables is all about presenting your earphones with a musical natural edge. It is an accomplished cable that will bring everything good about pure copper to the masses with an EA finish. It does not enhance the brightness of a given earphone but at the same time brings a more natural fluid flavor to your earphones. It is what you would expect a great copper cable should be but at the same time it is up against some very stiff competition on the express with vendors that offer very similar type cables at budget prices. These other cables that are cheaper claim to be of a certain level of purity and such but you have to wonder if that is true.

But I do know Effect Audio is not going to cut corners for their cables in any way and perhaps that is what you're really paying for. The workmanship and materials and a bit of piece of mind. The #38 I can believe it is a highly resolving copper cable just by sheer virtue of testing them against some of my highest end copper cables, I can say without a doubt they are indeed a higher end copper offering. #38 turns out to be the more versatile cable vs the #32 cable. While the #32 enhances the sound of earphones more than the #38 copper cable. They require a certain type of signatures to synergize. But once they synergize you will most definitely benefit from their extremely resolving transparent tuning. As all good copper cables goes the #38 synergizes with more neutral brighter signatures as it cleans up a bit of glare from BA timbre and sounds more natural in the end. It has been fun testing out these cables. I will post more observations as I try out more earphones to match up with these cables. Thanks for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back