Mid priced IEM cables thread.
Feb 2, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #1,201 of 1,874
Got a Penon Mix 50cm extension cable on the way, Penon is always helpful with requests. Solves my problem of short cables at the desk,the Mix also being resolving and neutral is good for this task.

Going to set aside some cash over the next months for a Volt, then after that the Solar Cable. IEMs before cables always for me, still for that favourite IEM it's worth it to get a great cable for perfection.
The overall feel and mechanical joining of the 3 in 1 plug system is something. Also the way it handles tone is quite unique in that it's smooth in a way, the way it does treble, but also big and forgiving, not tinny or thin, but rather thick and robust. Really it's a lot like the Totem only 1/2 price of the Totem. They share many of the same attributes. Kinda adds soundstage and authority yet smooth and lush?

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #1,202 of 1,874
Got a Penon Mix 50cm extension cable on the way, Penon is always helpful with requests. Solves my problem of short cables at the desk,the Mix also being resolving and neutral is good for this task.

Going to set aside some cash over the next months for a Volt, then after that the Solar Cable. IEMs before cables always for me, still for that favourite IEM it's worth it to get a great cable for perfection.
Well obviously cables don't make a sound of their own. It's only when they are joined to a DAP and an IEM then do they preform to alter the signal, sometimes a little, sometimes more.......and possibly a lot. Though what they do depends on the two characters of DAP/IEM.......and the character of cable. But coincidently I have been doing side-by-sides with the Mix and Solar. It ultimately depends on the route you want to go down, but especially I noticed an almost thinner more bright tone with the treble in use with the Mix, then a more lush, almost louder volume and bigger/more substantial response with the Solar. Imaging was larger and warmer with the Solar. But depending on what you're after both have their places. :)

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #1,203 of 1,874
Penon Mix/TSMR-5
DSC_0030.jpegdc.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #1,204 of 1,874
What was your take with the Mix in contrast to the DUNU SA6 DUW-03 included cable?
DSC_0035.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #1,205 of 1,874
Can do a comparison later today with my Serial and SA6 with both, I'm finishing my review of Penon Serial this weekend and have a small part about cable synergy on the serial.

They are similar for sure, but I haven't tried them right after each other.
What was your take with the Mix in contrast to the DUNU SA6 DUW-03 included cable?
DSC_0035.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,206 of 1,874
DSC_0038.jpegdfvw.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #1,207 of 1,874
DSC_0040.jpegwf.jpeg
DSC_0041.jpegwec.jpeg
DSC_0042.jpegwed.jpeg
DSC_0043.jpegd.jpeg
DSC_0045.jpegwc.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,209 of 1,874
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #1,210 of 1,874
What about the ISN audio g4?

It is actually on sale at 99.50$.

Could be a good upgrade for the Moondrop S8 IEM?

Thanks,
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-g4-iem-cables.25670/reviews#review-29405

The ISN G4 is most of the time the single cable I start off with in learning about how different IEMs respond to cables. The thickness and handleability are out of this world. As I haven't tried the Moondrop S8.......really the G4 seems like an easy purchase, nothing to worry about with it!

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #1,211 of 1,874
Dear cable owners/experts could you please recommend a cable that increases the upper-mid region without changing the low region significantly and that would stay away from changing treble because they already close to hot :)
price 299-999 USD and 4-6 wires max ( should be light and easy to use on the go) last but not least it should not have a splitter as I have on Dita that weighs close to the whole set with iems.
Thanks in advance

Feb 4, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #1,212 of 1,874
The Mix is maybe pushing the treble a little more forward than DUW-03, the more I have cable rolled with the DUW-03 it is clearly one of my favourites for just pushing the technicalities of a IEM without changing the sound.
They have the same amount of fullness in the lower notes, its mainly the treble that has some extra bite on the Mix.

Whats fun is my favorite pairing with the Serial is the ISN C2, but one of my test tracks by Kamasi Washington sound better when I use the DUW-03/Penon Mix. The C2 push the mids more forward making the track almost unpleasant on some of his sax playing.

Can do a comparison later today with my Serial and SA6 with both, I'm finishing my review of Penon Serial this weekend and have a small part about cable synergy on the serial.

They are similar for sure, but I haven't tried them right after each other.
DSC_0035.jpeg

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #1,213 of 1,874
The Mix is maybe pushing the treble a little more forward than DUW-03, the more I have cable rolled with the DUW-03 it is clearly one of my favourites for just pushing the technicalities of a IEM without changing the sound.
They have the same amount of fullness in the lower notes, its mainly the treble that has some extra bite on the Mix.

Whats fun is my favorite pairing with the Serial is the ISN C2, but one of my test tracks by Kamasi Washington sound better when I use the DUW-03/Penon Mix. The C2 push the mids more forward making the track almost unpleasant on some of his sax playing.
I totally agree, where the Mix has that extra top-end which (depending on the IEM) makes me switch players, going to a darker player output performance.

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,214 of 1,874
At the end of my Serial review I did end up with the mix for now👌
PXL_20230204_084327655~2.jpg

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #1,215 of 1,874

Fun one and interesting, might be of interest here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back