Mid-forward in ears with good treble but not a lot of bass recommendations
Feb 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

munchzilla

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, as title says - looking for a pair of mid-forward, detailed in-ear phones that do not have a lot of bass.
it seems like a tough request though. so I'm just really checking to see if there might be any that would work.
I do like detailed bass but I do not want a lot of bass, not overpowering.
the strength should be nice clear mids that are forward and excellent for vocals.
and then the treble should be rather present, but not too harsh, and not too tame either (like Sennheiser HD600/650 & IE8 for example. I found those to be lacking in the treble area. and to go to the other side, I found the CK10 to be a bit too harsh.)

my budget is pretty much unlimited but I am not looking to spend thousands on a pair of in ear phones, and I would like to not get customs either right now.
few hundred would be preferred but I'm flexible.

thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 29
ACS T15?  The treble is more tame then the B2s (and Etymotic) which are similar (from what I hear) to the CK10s.  However, it still has Etymotic mids :)

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 29
hello! I read up on the Westone 2 and the ACS T15. they both seem very interesting, especially the Westone 2!
I think out of those two, I will keep reading up a bit on the Westone 2.

however, I did also read that the CK100 are very mid-forward and that the bass was nice too... and fairly extended treble. and that they work well with my favourite tips, the Sony Hybrids... :p
any comments on these? if anyone has compared them to the Westone 2?
would they sound harsher/colder with an iPod Touch? what should I pair them with if I want them to be a bit smoother?
as I heard they are very sensitive to what source you use.

thanks a lot!

EDIT: added some questions about the CK100 that I am a bit puzzled by.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
hmm a-bump. will be getting a new iPhone when the next model is released though. I know the iPhone 4 is a great source but not really sure if it's warm or not?

thanks!

From what I've experienced with Apple products (although I don't have an iPhone), they tend to be leaning towards the colder, higher end (vs being a warm source).

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 29
hisoundaudio Golden Crystal 
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 29
How about the westone UM3X? I'm enjoying these quite a bit since I've picked it up a few days ago. The mids are a bit forward, treble is there and not overbearing, bass has good accuracy and impact without overpowering the rest of the spectrum. I find the included comply tips a bit dark, the Shure Olives sound wonderful.

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 29
hi - okay. yeah thought so. well I don't know really. I like the iPod Touch/iPhone as a source. had ESW9, ESW10 and CK10 with them before and I must say all worked very nicely. so I think I might give it a try... I do want detail, but not harshness. there has to be some sort of balance between warm/cold that works for me I think? ESW9 were too warm, ESW10 pretty much perfect temperature, CK10 too cold.
the ESW9/ESW10 had a bit too much bass though and well... not portable enough.
and CK10 too harsh sibilance for a lot of my music.

and yes I was looking at the UM3X actually! but I got the impression they have a lot of bass? not exactly what I want, but I will keep reading and see if I can find if anyone has compared CK100/UM3X!

thanks a lot!

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 29
Hi Munchzilla,

The UM3X definitely have a bass that kicks when the song calls for it though its not what I would call a bassy headphone, its less bass than the SM3, IE8, and Westone 3 but more than the CK100. I used to have the CK100 and the bass has very little impact at all, extension is good though. I ended up selling the CK100 due to the lack of bass though I wouldn't call myself a basshead.

Another option you may want to look into is the very good Shure SE535/SE535LTD, it has very nice mids but a bit less bass and treble than the UM3X.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 29
I really think the ACS T15 sound perfect for you.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 29
My experience with the Etymotic hf3 seem to match your needs: excellent highs and mids, tight (lean to some) bass, and iPhone controls. Very happy with them, especially with vocals. If you don't care for the iPhone controls, you could upgrade to the ER-4S or P.

Any while it sounds great directly from the iPhone, I found mids that were better-to-my-ears with the HeadAmp Pico in between.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
Hi Munchzilla,

The UM3X definitely have a bass that kicks when the song calls for it though its not what I would call a bassy headphone, its less bass than the SM3, IE8, and Westone 3 but more than the CK100. I used to have the CK100 and the bass has very little impact at all, extension is good though. I ended up selling the CK100 due to the lack of bass though I wouldn't call myself a basshead.

Another option you may want to look into is the very good Shure SE535/SE535LTD, it has very nice mids but a bit less bass and treble than the UM3X.

Exactly this if the OP is after top-tier IEMs.
Although SE535 could lack treble when compared to SE535LTD.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
Hi Munchzilla,

Hello! so you have owned both CK100 and UM3X? I found the IE8 to have way overpowering bass, that is why I got rid of mine. and the treble was a bit tame. would you say the CK100 has as good mids as the UM3X or better/worse though?

and yes I was actually looking at the Etymotics ER4 ! but it seems they are a bit treble-heavy rather than mids? or did I get it wrong?

I have a pair of SE530 right beside me at the moment, but can't say I'm a huge fan of them... something feels wrong. are they anything like the SE535?
also I heard the build quality is not that great for the cables? that is something I'm worried about with some of the in-ears I have. the CK10 had awesome build quality though. am hoping the CK100 will have just as good?
and I heard a lot of good things about Westones.

thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back