Mid Fi - General chat for all discussions and general chat a Thread for all.
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #16 of 345
My current favourite midfi listen - AuR Audio brothers, Neon Pro and Ascension.

I have since settled on KBear 07 tips on them both because I can listen in all day comfort.

1.jpeg

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #17 of 345
I'm 50 myself but am lucky that I have a much younger colleague that shares her music finds with me. A lot are not my cup of tea, but there is the occassional gem.
She uses crappy beats with the worst bluetooth but refuses to be drawn into changing! Fair play though, after all she is a single mum.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #21 of 345
Following :)

I ordered the Symphonium Titan yesterday from headphones.com and they should be shipping tomorrow the 12th.

Super excited to hear these. I must admit I fell for the hype. 🫣
It is ok. They hype will win sometimes. At least it is a relatively cheap set. Not like some of the other hype trains that cost multiple thousands. Let me know how they sound. I think the question is are they better than others in the collection?

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #23 of 345
The Moondrop May also comes with the DSP cable.
I’ve heard mixed things about the free dsp cable itself, and Moondrop is hit or miss with its QC. Mostly the fact that there’s no EQ available, and the app is Android only. That kinda limits the potential of the cable unfortunately even though they sell the cable separately.

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 345
I’ve heard mixed things about the free dsp cable itself, and Moondrop is hit or miss with its QC. Mostly the fact that there’s no EQ available, and the app is Android only. That kinda limits the potential of the cable unfortunately even though they sell the cable separately.
That app is a sorry excuse for an android app in 2024

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #25 of 345
thanks for getting this started @PeacockObscura !

So a few items around $1500 or below that stood out & surprised me with their performance despite 'mid-fi' pricing

DC Elite - dynamic punchy sounding dongle with decent staging
Acoustune HS1000mx Mk1 - single DD with good balance. not for bassheads though
Madoo 512 - budget basshead iem - but mids and highs do feel a bit closed in. But that bass quality !
Madoo 821 - v-shaped with very clean / clear sounding mids and treble. Much more resolving than 512. Needs a long burn in and has a bit more bass than graphs suggest.
Sony ZX707 & AM2 - both very clean sounding - with 707 sacrificing some resolution for a tilt towards a warmer sound.
Ibasso D16 - very musical sounding 1bit dac with a decent amp too. Slightly better if you can use the coax input. Benefits from better IC (coax or USB)
IE600 - really nice bass, energy and resolution but could be shouty in treble for some

Lots of great value out there and only getting better imho...the above is just a small list of things that stood out to me personally. Hope somebody finds it useful !

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #26 of 345
thanks for getting this started @PeacockObscura !

So a few items around $1500 or below that stood out & surprised me with their performance despite 'mid-fi' pricing

DC Elite - dynamic punchy sounding dongle with decent staging
Acoustune HS1000mx Mk1 - single DD with good balance. not for bassheads though
Madoo 512 - budget basshead iem - but mids and highs do feel a bit closed in. But that bass quality !
Madoo 821 - v-shaped with very clean / clear sounding mids and treble. Much more resolving than 512. Needs a long burn in and has a bit more bass than graphs suggest.
Sony ZX707 & AM2 - both very clean sounding - with 707 sacrificing some resolution for a tilt towards a warmer sound.
Ibasso D16 - very musical sounding 1bit dac with a decent amp too. Slightly better if you can use the coax input. Benefits from better IC (coax or USB)
IE600 - really nice bass, energy and resolution but could be shouty in treble for some

Lots of great value out there and only getting better imho...the above is just a small list of things that stood out to me personally. Hope somebody finds it useful !
That's a really useful selection I want to try the Madoo products do bad. The use of micro planars is very interesting. I have a few Acoustune iems they are superb DD iems andcthe build quality is exemplary. I'm also a Sony Fan boy still using the NW-M1A and ZX507. Thanks for you're contributions

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #27 of 345
Following!

Though you made me feel poor. I thought $1000 and up is highend 😂
Yeah I know but when I looked at my collection of DAPs the $1000-$1500 was where the best Midfi sources were at. Now the hobby reaches above $10,000 for iems and Sources I settled on that figure. And wanted a broad range of products to be discussed 😎🤘

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 345
I'm a 58 years old old rocker/biker who got into the hobby in covid after my wife suggested that my record player was too loud lol. Now 90 sets of iems and 20 daps down the road I have fallen for many hype trains and thoroughly enjoyed the process.
I have the collector gene so don't get rid of anything. I will be sharing pics and impressions of what I have and any new stuff that arrives. I have bought much of my collection on the 2nd hand market as they often go for far less than retail sometimes only weeks after release.
FB_IMG_1588946113225.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #29 of 345
Though you made me feel poor. I thought $1000 and up is highend 😂
Being poor is a state of mind :wink:

With this ranking, how many folks fall out from Watercooler company :)
But, yes...$200-$1000 would be much more appropriate if you ask me for a midsection...hmm, but no one is asking me :ksc75smile:
It seems that there is still room for a couple more threads... :scream:

Finally, it would be best if we all fall into one big group/family...without dividing into $ subgenres...

Anyway... I am following!

Cheers!

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #30 of 345
20240327_145535~2.jpg

The TRN Azure Dragon a Planar in the $200 price range my favourite of the Planar sets that have come out recently I imagine like the Hidizs mp145 the price will come down in the sales. This like the mp145 has attributes not dissimilar to DD iems leaving behind the Planar timbre for a thicker more warm and organic sound signature. They also look really different like little alien eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back