Mid-Fi Closed Portable Headphone Battle 2012 Discussion V3 [FINAL]
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #76 of 211
Quote:
Great pic, miceblue! I'll have to measure my earpads to see how they compare.

Also, just wanted to let you know that B&H photo and video have the AKG K267 priced at $350, but it's obviously not available for purchase.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855177-REG/AKG_3285h00010_K267_Tiesto_Headphones.html

I have to ask, is the earpad mesh of the M-100 really uncomfortable? I'm afraid that would be a dealbraker for me. I use my headphones for hours.

I know that the Denon D1100 don't get much love around here, but they're so comfortable that I forget I have them on, even after listening for over an hour. I've become spoiled that way and will settle for nothing less.

Are you talking about the part of the earpad that covers the driver enclosure (in the very middle), or the pads themselves?

The mesh covering the driver enclosure isn't uncomfortable itself, but the hard driver enclosure is uncomfortable if your ears touch it (the driver enclosure is kind of a dome shape, so it sticks out into the earpad).

The pads themselves are made of a very soft pleather material that is filled with memory foam. They are extremely comfortable to me, but tend to get a bit warm. The only downside for me is that they are too thin, so they compress a lot and so the top of my ear is touching the driver enclosure. With a reversible earpad modification, it makes the edges of the earpad more firm, so they don't compress as much and prevent the top of my ears from touching the driver enclosure.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #77 of 211
An update for those following the AKG K267, I asked them about the release date.

BRSxIgnition (Me)
Hello,

I am emailing you to inquire about the AKG K267 Tiesto release date. It seems like it is being pushed further and further back from its original release window, some websites are even advertising a Christmas release.

Would you be able to clarify this for me? I am a frequent user on Head-Fi.org, and I would like to clear the situation up for those on the forums as well.

Thank you.

Melanie Zach (AKG Sales)
[size=10pt]Dear Sir/Madam,[/size]

[size=10pt]Thank you for contacting AKG.[/size]

[size=10pt]The K267 Tiesto headphones are released in the middle of November.[/size]

[size=10pt]Best regards,[/size]

[size=8pt]MELANIE ZACH[/size]
[size=8pt]Service Department[/size]

Now we know. 
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #79 of 211
Quote:
Thanks for the info BRS. I'm now finally down to just the AKGs and the M-100s. I finally could rule out the Sonys once I discovered that the NC cost $500.

I'm in the same exact boat as you. Do you have the M-100's yet? I will be selling whichever headphone I like least, once I do a detailed review/comparison.

Currently I am more excited about the AKG's than the M-100's that I'm burning in because of the following:
  1. 3D Axis Folding Design (Much more flexible than M-100's)
  2. Same amount of features - no case. (I personally don't need a case if I can wear them around my neck.)
  3. More features? (Adjustable Bass Settings - Studio/Stage/Club)
  4. Full Aluminium/Metal/HQ Plastic materials, just like M-100's.
  5. Big cups, lots of padding. (Probably will have less comfort issues)
  6. "Dat Style". (Personal preference; Circular cups, smooth lines, some edges, small logo)

Only thing worrying me is that they will either fall into the regular AKG sound - Airy, Thin, Treble/Mid Heavy, Less Bass - or move too far into the DJ sound - which would be pumping bass and little else. What I hope they have is the AKG Mid-range and Treble, combined with good powerful Bass, on at least one of the settings (Studio/Club/Stage).

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #80 of 211
I don't have the M-100s yet...been holding off because I'll be getting Windows 8 on my laptop as well as a nifty touch mouse/touchpad peripheral for it, saving my headphones purchase for the end of the year. But I have similar thoughts about the AKGs: the design is more flexible, the adjustable bass is interesting, the style is swell, the cups look ridiculously comfortable, and the build looks solid. Thing is, it's not like the M-100s lack a flexible design. By simply collapsing the M-100s look incredibly small and portable. I'm interested in the AKGs z-axis rotation more for comfort matters, because with my M-80s I find the lack of such rotation to be the biggest comfort issue (one that is admittedly probably not as significant on the circumaural M-100s, but still might exist for me). The adjustable bass, if executed well, would be a significant advantage over the M-100s. Style and build go to both of these headphones, they seriously both look great in these areas. Finally, the AKGs have cups that appear to be slightly larger, deeper, more comfortable, and more isolating.

I'm going to be patient on this one. Both show a lot of promise, and in the end I won't worry too much about it because I have a $120 2.1 speaker setup that I know I'll like more than either of these headphones. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #81 of 211
Quote:
I don't have the M-100s yet...been holding off because I'll be getting Windows 8 on my laptop as well as a nifty touch mouse/touchpad peripheral for it, saving my headphones purchase for the end of the year. But I have similar thoughts about the AKGs: the design is more flexible, the adjustable bass is interesting, the style is swell, the cups look ridiculously comfortable, and the build looks solid. Thing is, it's not like the M-100s lack a flexible design. By simply collapsing the M-100s look incredibly small and portable. I'm interested in the AKGs z-axis rotation more for comfort matters, because with my M-80s I find the lack of such rotation to be the biggest comfort issue (one that is admittedly probably not as significant on the circumaural M-100s, but still might exist for me). The adjustable bass, if executed well, would be a significant advantage over the M-100s. Style and build go to both of these headphones, they seriously both look great in these areas. Finally, the AKGs have cups that appear to be slightly larger, deeper, more comfortable, and more isolating.

I'm going to be patient on this one. Both show a lot of promise, and in the end I won't worry too much about it because I have a $120 2.1 speaker setup that I know I'll like more than either of these headphones. 

Knowing that you and others are excited as I am for these really has me even more excited to get mine in about a month. I plan to do a detailed review on them comparing them to the M-100's. I have mine pre-ordered from Front End Audio, and I'd really recommend them as an audio shop. They have a 10% off coupon available through Facebook, and their service is amazing.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #82 of 211
I'm thinking about just getting some Momentums and seeing if the cups are big enough for my ears. The 267, MDR-1R and M-100 just look so big, brash and obvious when I just want a cosier HD-25. :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #83 of 211
Seems the AKG Tiesto Series Official Website is up. 

Also, after pre-ordering at Front End Audio, I was sent the following:
In an effort to keep you updated on the status of your back order we have contacted the manufacturer. The AKG K267 Tiesto Headphones is still scheduled to be available on or before 11/07/12.

Awesome service.

*Copy-pasted to AKG by Tiesto thread as well.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #84 of 211
Quote:
Seems the AKG Tiesto Series Official Website is up. 

Also, after pre-ordering at Front End Audio, I was sent the following:
Awesome service.

*Copy-pasted to AKG by Tiesto thread as well.

Nice! I'm interested in how the user adjustable bass settings work. Is it a property of the headphone itself (holes being blocked/unblocked), or is it an electronic enhancement (a la external circuitry)? In the Beyer Custom One Pro, Tyll didn't seem to like its sound very much.
Do you know how these will fold? I always see the image of one earcup folded in, but not both...
I do like the more conservative look the K267 and its anodized aluminum finish, but I like the white silver M-100's flashiness. It's more of a "what will I wear at home?" vs "what will I wear at school?" kind of thing for me.

For me, the M-100 "has" a very versatile user adjustable bass setting too...though it was completely unintentional and wasn't meant to be a feature of the headphone. >.>

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #85 of 211
I'm thinking about just getting some Momentums and seeing if the cups are big enough for my ears. The 267, MDR-1R and M-100 just look so big, brash and obvious when I just want a cosier HD-25. :)
Don't know about the 267 but if we're talking "purely" about comfort, the 1R is the most comfortable circumaurals I've personally worn so far. It's more comfortable than my Stax SR-009 & Fostex TH-900 mainly due to weight, & in terms of clamping pressure around the ears whilst maintaining isolation, it's also the most comfortable.

Comparing to supra-aurals, I think I'd still prefer the comfort of the 1Rs. I sold my HD-25's years ago cos it gave me headaches, whilst DT1350 kept pulling my hair out.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #87 of 211
I tried the Beats Executive headphone at the Apple Store today with my Clip Zip...they're actually not half bad. I think at $300 they are finally worthy of being a headphone considered in the competition.

1. The bass isn't super muddy like the Studios, nor was it overpowering like in the Pros.
  2. The midrange still sounds kind of hollow to me, but they're brought forward a bit.
  3. The highs...could use some work. The timbre didn't sound right to my ears, but at least they weren't sibilant.
  4. You also have to take into account that they have an active noise cancelling feature too. It's leagues better than the Studios and almost rivals Bose's. It definitely destroys the "noise cancelling" feature of the new Logitech UE6000, which was quite pathetic in my experience.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #88 of 211
Hi all,

Posted the below in another thread, and the OP suggested I copy it here.  Hope it's of any use.

I am looking for a portable circumaural to replace my V-MODA LP2 as my ears can't agree with it. My source would be my iPhone 4S, and having 3-button remote and mic is important. I have shortlisted some of the headphones, and their pros and cons. I have not auditioned any of these so can't comment much on the sonic qualites.

V-MODA M-100
Pros:
Foldable
Awesome carrying case
Easy to get replacement parts
Metal construction
Cons:
Included cable doesn't have 3-button remote (not sure if LP2 cable can be used)
Fabric sheathed cord can get frayed easily as per my experience with LP2

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Pros:
Metal construction
The leather covering the headband can be self-replaced
Adjustable bass level
Cons:
No cable with 3-button remote
Not foldable
No carrying case
According to reviews here, recessed mids (to be confirmed)

PSB M4U2
Pros:
Based on reviews awesome sonic qualities. Some said it beats Ultrasone Edition 8
Internal amp mode, and active noise cancellation mode
Foldable
Cons:
Rather large and heavy
No cable with 3-button remote
Plastic construction
Cracking issue with early batches
Most expensive

UE6000
Pros:
InnerFidelity review said this is better than K550
Noise cancellation
Foldable
Cons:
Plastic construction

Sennheiser Momentum
Pros:
Metal construction
Real leather
Nice looking carry case
Detachable cable with 3-button remote and mic
Cons:
Not foldable
Very pricey!

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #89 of 211
Any news on the new pads for M-100?

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #90 of 211
None yet. Sucks, because the pad depth is the only thing keeping me from loving these cans. Well, that, and a bit more balanced sound.

Sucks even more that the AKG K267 Tiestos have been delayed all the way back into December. Seriously looking at possibly picking up some K551's to compare to the M-100's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back