MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Oct 13, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #2,491 of 2,609
I have a used mz2 on the way, which I purchased a couple days ago here on Head Fi. Never heard it before. I have sold my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ because I got sick of it as a DAC and HP amp. The DAC was too bright for me on my speakers, and I wasn't satisfied with the imaging as a HP amp or on speakers. Now I need a DAC to pair with the Microzotl. The rest of my system is highly resolving (amphion argon s speakers, Mytek Brookln Amp + amps running as monoblocks, SOTM SMS-200 Ultra neo streamer), so I feel I need a DAC that's not squeegee clean or bright. Something warm yet completely low res scares me. I'm scared to pull the trigger on a Border Patrol - will it be to low res for my taste?? I need a small form factor - all my components are under 11" wide. What about MDHT labs - I see almost no reviews on line for them. Any advice? Soekris? Ares ii?
I like the Schiit Bitfrost 2, it is very musical, not bright at all. Aries ii is another good option around the same price.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,492 of 2,609
I'm thinking about a smallish speaker that could be driven by my 1 watt mz2 or if that's not realistic then an mz10. It seems like sensitive speakers tend to need to be large, but I don't have floor space. How about a Tekton Lore Reference? Only 96db...

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2,493 of 2,609
I should hook my MZ2 up to my Tekton Moab speakers. They're high efficiency (stated 98dB), so might be a fun experiment. Would be comical looking, as the amp is so small next to the speakers.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #2,494 of 2,609
So I haven't really been able to compare all my amps because of holiday obligations and orders etc etc, but I did get back yesterday and did some rolling with the tubes I bought.

I acquired:

Brimar 12AT7
Sylvania 12AT7WA
Valvo 12 AT7

---------
Sylvania Bad Boy 3 Hole 6SN7GT
Tung Sol 6SN7 GTA (not sure what year but they are square plate)

The combo I settled on is the two Sylvania tubes. The Bad Boy Sylvania's which apparently are very close to the VT-231's from the 40's definitely have a firmer and more direct bass slam and cleaner sound than the Tung-Sol's. Weirdly, for the 12AT7's the Brimar's are the brightest of the 3 with the Valvo's seemed a little smeared compaired to the other two. Very happy with the Sylvania combo though, as I feel it improved the ZOTL that last 2% LOL!

The stock amp BTW is magnificient, it's just fun to roll in these old tubes and get the presentation that suits you best.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,495 of 2,609
Yeah definitely, actually probably better to do one at a time so you can really see what each tube set does. I got my 5 sets of tubes in, two were 6sn7's (the big ones) and three were 12AT7's (the smaller tubes in the ZOTL) and I had to sit there for over an hour swapping in and out and waiting 5 minutes in between swaps per the manual to test out each variation and the changes both singularly with each set of tubes and then in combinations. It was brain melting!
Hi I'm new to Microzotl. Would someone mind explaining what the difference in function is between the two big tubes and the two smaller tubes? Which ones to try rolling and why? Sorry for the beginner question...

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #2,496 of 2,609
The small 12AT7 tubes are for signal input and phase splitting. They increase the input voltage and then split one half of the alternating(+/-) signal to each half of one of the output tubes.

The bigger tubes are the output tubes. Each output tube has two sections that work in a push/pull arrangement. They take the input voltage and turn it into current(power) to drive the headphones or another amp or a speaker. The amp turns high voltage/low current to low voltage/high current.

Changing any of those tubes will affect the sound. The nice thing about the MZ2 is that you can use either 6SN7 or 12SN7 (and variants) by just changing a jumper. The 12SN7s are MUCH cheaper than good 6SN7 of similar type. Some subs for the *SN7s require a pin adapter but are well worth it. 7N7/14SN7s are great as are some 6F8G/VT-99s.

I have owned an MZ2 and also the MZ Pre which is very similar. LTA makes great stuff.

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,498 of 2,609
Is it a fair generalization that the mz2 will perform best with dynamic driver headphones? I am thing I have two planers and perhaps mz2 is most suited to something like a Zmf.

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,499 of 2,609
Is it a fair generalization that the mz2 will perform best with dynamic driver headphones? I am thing I have two planers and perhaps mz2 is most suited to something like a Zmf.
I own the HiFiMAN HE1000 version one, which is planar magnetic. I also own the ZMF Verite Closed, which is dynamic. Both sound fantastic with the MicroZOTL 2, which I also own. In my opinion the HE-1000 is a fabulous headphone, but the ZMF Verite Closed is even better.

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,500 of 2,609
Regarding the best pairing of the mz2 as a preamplifier with a power amplifier, I was looking at the Kinki studios monoblocks, and their website has this warning: "Our amplifiers are Direct-DC-Coupled without any capacitors in the signal path. This yields less colouration, high resolution, fast, and transparent sound quality. Should you wish to use other preamp make, please be informed that we do not recommend the use of DC-Coupled OTL tube-based preamp. The DC-offset of such preamp may fluctuate as the tube/valve ages and deteriorates." I apologize if this is an ignorant question, but the mz2 is a DC-coupled OTL preamp, correct? So this is a bad pairing?

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,501 of 2,609
Regarding the best pairing of the mz2 as a preamplifier with a power amplifier, I was looking at the Kinki studios monoblocks, and their website has this warning: "Our amplifiers are Direct-DC-Coupled without any capacitors in the signal path. This yields less colouration, high resolution, fast, and transparent sound quality. Should you wish to use other preamp make, please be informed that we do not recommend the use of DC-Coupled OTL tube-based preamp. The DC-offset of such preamp may fluctuate as the tube/valve ages and deteriorates." I apologize if this is an ignorant question, but the mz2 is a DC-coupled OTL preamp, correct? So this is a bad pairing?
Contact LTA they are very good in responding.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #2,502 of 2,609
I have a used mz2 on the way, which I purchased a couple days ago here on Head Fi. Never heard it before. I have sold my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ because I got sick of it as a DAC and HP amp. The DAC was too bright for me on my speakers, and I wasn't satisfied with the imaging as a HP amp or on speakers. Now I need a DAC to pair with the Microzotl. The rest of my system is highly resolving (amphion argon s speakers, Mytek Brookln Amp + amps running as monoblocks, SOTM SMS-200 Ultra neo streamer), so I feel I need a DAC that's not squeegee clean or bright. Something warm yet completely low res scares me. I'm scared to pull the trigger on a Border Patrol - will it be to low res for my taste?? I need a small form factor - all my components are under 11" wide. What about MDHT labs - I see almost no reviews on line for them. Any advice? Soekris? Ares ii?
I'm finding the Denafrips Ares II DAC really "sings" with the Microzotl 2 whereas Chord Mojo was more impressive with solid state/passive pre. It really pushes out that mid range bloom and ordinary CD rate music will get your toe tapping for dynamics. Strange that the Ares II behaves like a wallflower with solid state/passive pre but bowls me over with the MZ2. Being the least expensive Denafrips DAC its not as nuanced as a better grade DAC but moving up in the Denafrips line for more depth of detail will
be an easy future choice.

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #2,503 of 2,609
I am strangely finding good synergy between MZ2 and Ares2. Sometimes I think I am a sucker for overhyped audio products. But, just maybe, the hype with these two is real.

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #2,505 of 2,609
I own the HiFiMAN HE1000 version one, which is planar magnetic. I also own the ZMF Verite Closed, which is dynamic. Both sound fantastic with the MicroZOTL 2, which I also own. In my opinion the HE-1000 is a fabulous headphone, but the ZMF Verite Closed is even better.
Just ordered verite closed on ZMF's black fridayish sale! So excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back