MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #2,476 of 2,609
Looking at this amp as an alternative to my Sparkos SS amp. Am I right in thinking it pairs nicely with ZMF VC? Anyone also using Hugo 2 as a source?
Speaking as an owner of this combination, in my opinion it pairs spectacularly well with the Verite Closed headphone!!! I've posted very extensively on the VC thread.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #2,478 of 2,609
Speaking as an owner of this combination, in my opinion it pairs spectacularly well with the Verite Closed headphone!!! I've posted very extensively on the VC thread.
LTA uses ZMF headphones to demo their gear
Thanks folks. I look forward to demoing next week. The amp has been on my radar since it came out, so I'm surprised it took this long to give it a go.

One facile question - can someone take a photo of the top of it at night/in dark? I want to see how much glow the tubes emit, if indeed any. Thanks!

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #2,479 of 2,609
About to order one of these, can someone tell me - is there any difference between the latest iteration with the previous one other than more RCA connections and the possibility of a remote controlled volume?

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #2,480 of 2,609
About to order one of these, can someone tell me - is there any difference between the latest iteration with the previous one other than more RCA connections and the possibility of a remote controlled volume?
I don't know for sure. I'm quite confident that if you contact them directly they'll give you a truthful answer.

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #2,481 of 2,609
I replaced some components on my audio pc and, as result, I can no longer use my 12v 3amp r-core lpsu and, instead, am using a 12v 6amp laptop ac adapter. So, I had frown face. Now, with a spare LPSU, I decided to use it on the MZ2 in place of the LPS+ psu.

After a few listening, I do find the sound to suit my taste better. The sound is less linear leaning on the warmer side. There are other positives that's hard to put into words. The detail level is the same but is delivered slightly differently. Anyways, wondering whether others have replaced the LPS+ and what your experiences are. I know there were some who has done this before the LPS+'s advent with Mojo psu amongst others but this was few years ago.

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,483 of 2,609
Thanks, I did contact them and heard back minutes later. Impressive. They guided me here.
That's good news. Also keep in mind that the unit I'm so impressed by is one of the very first they released to consumers, with serial number 0007. It has the original circuit configuration and had the original switching power supply. I've never had the unit itself upgraded, because it already sounds so great. Only very recently did I upgrade the power supply to the LPS+, and even that was done basically because I was already in the process of upgrading the power supplies on my Arcam irDAC and Project CD Box S. I figured I might as well upgrade the power supply on the MicroZOTL 2.0 at the same time. But I did that only after having the original power supply for 5+ years. The point is that the unit already sounded fantastic in its original form over 5 years ago, and presumably has only gotten better.

I predict that you'll be absolutely stunned by how great it sounds with the Verite Closed.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,484 of 2,609
Recent owner of this amp. Of course, those who expect a tube sound, perhaps "old style", are blown away. I come from a rather dynamic solid state (Questyle) and I hardly noticed the change, except for the noticeably more genuine, healthy, plausible (or similar to real) tone, which - in my opinion - is what really makes the difference between tubes and solid state.
Over time I will also try some valve changes; for the moment I can say that the combination with the HD-800 is in the long run a bit tiring. Nice eh, crazy detail, but tiring.
Instead I found an unexpected synergy with the AQ Nighthawk (I hope I put all the Hs in the right place): this amp opens them in a surprising way; perhaps only the slightly out of control bass typical of the Nighthawk remains, but the mid and high range are the best I've ever heard coming out of these headphones.

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #2,485 of 2,609
Replace the stock (Genalex) driver tubes with two Mullard NOS and here I found nirvana for the HD800. The sound has softened a lot, acquiring further in musicality. The bass is now powerful, never heard the Senny playing with so much body. All without losing a comma in detail, transparency, etc ...
In short, they are other headphones (or is it another amplifier 😄).
Those who sold it to me told me not to waste time (and money) with updating the power supply: the tube change affects much more on the sound and much less on the wallet.

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #2,486 of 2,609
Replace the stock (Genalex) driver tubes with two Mullard NOS and here I found nirvana for the HD800. The sound has softened a lot, acquiring further in musicality. The bass is now powerful, never heard the Senny playing with so much body. All without losing a comma in detail, transparency, etc ...
In short, they are other headphones (or is it another amplifier 😄).
Those who sold it to me told me not to waste time (and money) with updating the power supply: the tube change affects much more on the sound and much less on the wallet.
Do not underestimate the importance of the power supply. The largest initial effect on the sound may come from a tube change, but each tube and a change from it will have its performance dictated by the quality of the power supply.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #2,488 of 2,609
I have a used mz2 on the way, which I purchased a couple days ago here on Head Fi. Never heard it before. I have sold my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ because I got sick of it as a DAC and HP amp. The DAC was too bright for me on my speakers, and I wasn't satisfied with the imaging as a HP amp or on speakers. Now I need a DAC to pair with the Microzotl. The rest of my system is highly resolving (amphion argon s speakers, Mytek Brookln Amp + amps running as monoblocks, SOTM SMS-200 Ultra neo streamer), so I feel I need a DAC that's not squeegee clean or bright. Something warm yet completely low res scares me. I'm scared to pull the trigger on a Border Patrol - will it be to low res for my taste?? I need a small form factor - all my components are under 11" wide. What about MDHT labs - I see almost no reviews on line for them. Any advice? Soekris? Ares ii?

Oct 12, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #2,490 of 2,609
I have a used mz2 on the way, which I purchased a couple days ago here on Head Fi. Never heard it before. I have sold my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ because I got sick of it as a DAC and HP amp. The DAC was too bright for me on my speakers, and I wasn't satisfied with the imaging as a HP amp or on speakers. Now I need a DAC to pair with the Microzotl. The rest of my system is highly resolving (amphion argon s speakers, Mytek Brookln Amp + amps running as monoblocks, SOTM SMS-200 Ultra neo streamer), so I feel I need a DAC that's not squeegee clean or bright. Something warm yet completely low res scares me. I'm scared to pull the trigger on a Border Patrol - will it be to low res for my taste?? I need a small form factor - all my components are under 11" wide. What about MDHT labs - I see almost no reviews on line for them. Any advice? Soekris? Ares ii?
Border Patrol has a return policy or you can buy a second hand one and sell it if you don't like it. I bought a second hand SEi to compare against D90 MQA and kept the D90. Also compared D90 against Pegasus and SDA6 and stuck with D90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back