MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
May 3, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #2,446 of 2,609
Any chance someone can give me a little guidance on tube rolling? I've gathered a list of some of the tubes that have been mentioned here, but never done any rolling, and don't really know where to start. My MZ2 has the stock upgraded tubes. I'm very happy with the current sound, but no hurt in experimenting.

If it helps to know my tastes: like a thick, juicy, dynamic, punchy sound with an emphasis on foot-tapping musicality for the hard driving jazz/rock fusion I listen to. I'd probably stay away from anything either too clinical or romantic, and would take punch & focus over a wide soundstage.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #2,447 of 2,609
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #2,449 of 2,609
I just got a pair of VCs and I'm looking for a good tube amp to go with it. Do you have the MZ2 with LPS or with the stock switching PSU?
I got my MicroZOTL 2 back in 2015 (serial number 0007) and it still has the stock, switching power supply. The Verite Closed headphones sound absolutely fabulous with the MicroZOTL 2 and the stock power supply. Credible people have said that the LPS makes the MicroZOTL 2 sound even better, and I don't doubt it. Nevertheless, the switching PSU has always sounded so good to me that I've never even bothered to audition the LPS. Maybe some day I will, but I'm in no big hurry.

Bottom line for you: Although the LPS is almost certainly superior to the switching power supply, it's extremely unlikely that you'll be anything other than floored by the sound of the VC paired with the MicroZOTL 2, irrespective of which power supply you choose.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #2,450 of 2,609
I got my MicroZOTL 2 back in 2015 (serial number 0007) and it still has the stock, switching power supply. The Verite Closed headphones sound absolutely fabulous with the MicroZOTL 2 and the stock power supply. Credible people have said that the LPS makes the MicroZOTL 2 sound even better, and I don't doubt it. Nevertheless, the switching PSU has always sounded so good to me that I've never even bothered to audition the LPS. Maybe some day I will, but I'm in no big hurry.

Bottom line for you: Although the LPS is almost certainly superior to the switching power supply, it's extremely unlikely that you'll be anything other than floored by the sound of the VC paired with the MicroZOTL 2, irrespective of which power supply you choose.
Thanks, you've definitely convinced me to get the MicroZOTL 2!

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #2,451 of 2,609
Thanks, you've definitely convinced me to get the MicroZOTL 2!
Prediction: You'll love the sound of the VC with the MicroZOTL 2, regardless of which power source you choose. {Zach (creator and owner of ZMF Headphones) told me that it would match well with the VC, and he was wonderfully correct.}

p.s. I'd love to read your impressions (good or bad) after you get to hear that combination.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2,453 of 2,609
Any chance someone can give me a little guidance on tube rolling? I've gathered a list of some of the tubes that have been mentioned here, but never done any rolling, and don't really know where to start. My MZ2 has the stock upgraded tubes. I'm very happy with the current sound, but no hurt in experimenting.

If it helps to know my tastes: like a thick, juicy, dynamic, punchy sound with an emphasis on foot-tapping musicality for the hard driving jazz/rock fusion I listen to. I'd probably stay away from anything either too clinical or romantic, and would take punch & focus over a wide soundstage.
Maybe you've already read his posts, but @jamato8 seems to revel in tube rolling and appears (to me at least) to be a high master of MicroZOTL 2 tube rolling. I'd read his posts on that topic and if you wanted more info then perhaps consider contacting him. You could also ask the kind and knowledgeable folks at Linear Tube Audio.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #2,454 of 2,609
Hi - long time lurker here. This is a loooong thread so I hope it’s OK I just ask for advice out of the blue: I have the MZ2 with the LPS which I use with the Hugo2Go. In almost every way this is endgame for me. But.......sometimes I would like a little more , richness, body, palpability, bloom even. This is with both my headphones (HD650, LCD-X, Aeon 2 Closed) and my speakers, a pair of Omega Super Alnico High Output Monitors. So here’s the question: how do I get more richness without sacrificing all the stuff (resolution, transparency) this combo does so incredibly well?

I guess it a question of tube-rolling, which I know nothing about, or a new DAC. So new DAC: not more than 2000$ and with a more full-bodied sound and with no hit to resolution? Denafrips, Schiit, MHDT? Used market is fine. I have an extra streamer, the Node 2i, laying around. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #2,455 of 2,609
Hi - long time lurker here. This is a loooong thread so I hope it’s OK I just ask for advice out of the blue: I have the MZ2 with the LPS which I use with the Hugo2Go. In almost every way this is endgame for me. But.......sometimes I would like a little more , richness, body, palpability, bloom even. This is with both my headphones (HD650, LCD-X, Aeon 2 Closed) and my speakers, a pair of Omega Super Alnico High Output Monitors. So here’s the question: how do I get more richness without sacrificing all the stuff (resolution, transparency) this combo does so incredibly well?

I guess it a question of tube-rolling, which I know nothing about, or a new DAC. So new DAC: not more than 2000$ and with a more full-bodied sound and with no hit to resolution? Denafrips, Schiit, MHDT? Used market is fine. I have an extra streamer, the Node 2i, laying around. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
https://tubeworldexpress.com/products/jan-crc-12sx7gt-rca-nos-1955

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #2,459 of 2,609
has anyone replaced the fuse inside either the amp or the lps? according to manual, there is a single 2.5a fb and two 1.25a sb. want to try out some audiophile fuses.

without actually opening the case up, i don't see where the fuse is on the audio board through the plexi glass. where is the fuse?

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,460 of 2,609
For those that picked up the MZ2, still liking it with your ZMF’s? Looking for a good tube amp to pair with my VO’s and Aeolus...seeing a lot of praise for the MZ2, but there are so many amp choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back