MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jan 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #2,191 of 2,609

Did you try these with the Illuminati or did you damage them before you got it?

This thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread) states:

ECC31, 32, 33, 34 - Popular MISconception: these are NOT equivalent to 6SN7. Especially the ECC32/CV181 - close, but the 50% higher current draw will probably fry some transformers. Grid voltage, gain and transconductance are all different for these tubes. Ask your amp manufacturer first before substituting these in.

Did you make sure that it's okay to use the ECC33 in the Micro Zotl? Price is quite steep for these at around $300 for a pair.

I've got the 6N8S hopefully coming tomorrow from Mojo Audio. These have been highly recommended by Ben.  

Mine has '6SN7GTB' printed on the glass of the tube, and it worked, I had them with Joule V5, broken before I got my illuminati. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,192 of 2,609
What would be some decent DACs to use with the MZ2? I recently bought an MZ2 used from another Head-fier, and I am really loving the sound. I'm going to a local meet at the end of the month, and may be able to try a few combos that current owners are running.

I currently use a Creative Sound Blaster X7 LE, which uses some pretty decent internals. The USB DAC (SB-Axx1 is a multichannel DSP capable of 32 concurrent audio channels at 24 bit, 96 kHz per channel. It has USB asynchronous data transfer protocol, Direct mode bypass (DB-Axx1), for bit perfect digital audio conversion. Uses audiophile grade components like Nichicon fine gold capacitors, swappable OP Amps on the output stage of the DAC. The internal amplifier outputs 1.2W at 32 ohm with a 1 ohm output impedance. It uses the Burr-Brown PCM1794 DAC (24bit, up to 192 KHz). Overall, I'm really happy with it's neutral sound for music, and the ability to simulate surround sound from Dolby Digital sources. I doubt anyone in here has used this as their DAC, but it's ability to do everything is why I bought it. There is an excellent review of the X7 here, written by earfonia. where I grabbed some of the details I wrote above.

I have recently really submerged myself into the headphone end of the audiophile world, due to my desire to live in Philadelphia. A large surround sound system isn't practical in a small apartment or home here. I still use my Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands for music listening and general TV usage, but I sold off my Elusive 1099 front stage, which was the most unbelievable speaker set I had ever heard for Movies and Music. Coupled with a PSA 15" ported sub (This sub was INSANE good for the price, and they have gotten better as a company since I bought one). To get as close to this experience as possible, headphones are the only way!

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,193 of 2,609
What would be some decent DACs to use with the MZ2? I recently bought an MZ2 used from another Head-fier, and I am really loving the sound. I'm going to a local meet at the end of the month, and may be able to try a few combos that current owners are running.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, Mojo Audio's DACs are awesome, and are a very good value. I used to use a Hugo with my MZ2, but tried a Mojo Mystique and never looked back...

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,194 of 2,609
Schiit Bifrost was impressive at its price point. The Sabre DAC in my Burson V2+, however, provided a noticible improvement in resolution, instrument separation and transient attack. The clear winner, in my opinion, is the Gungnir Multi-Bit I recently acquired from a fellow member. The Gumby / MZ2 combo is amazing when played through my HE 1000 phones. Truly an end-game combination IMHO. I am very pleased - primarily ALAC files with some higher rez. YMMV. See your dealer for details. Etc.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,196 of 2,609
Thanks for the insight guys. The Gumby does seem interesting and used I think I could swing one. Hopefully get to try out a few combos soon to see for myself. I am really happy with what I have, still have to upgrade my OP Amps to Starkos, which get raving reviews all over. The Mojo as well seems very interesting. I gather they are not as popular around here, which is a shame since the owner seems like a mad scientist. Enjoyed his posts on this thread as I was catching up. I'll definitely look into those units and whatever else other owners really like as a combo. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #2,197 of 2,609
  Thanks for the insight guys. The Gumby does seem interesting and used I think I could swing one. Hopefully get to try out a few combos soon to see for myself. I am really happy with what I have, still have to upgrade my OP Amps to Starkos, which get raving reviews all over. The Mojo as well seems very interesting. I gather they are not as popular around here, which is a shame since the owner seems like a mad scientist. Enjoyed his posts on this thread as I was catching up. I'll definitely look into those units and whatever else other owners really like as a combo. 

I was using the Mojo and it was very good but then tried the PWD mk2 running FW2.02 and the sound improved a lot. It was more balanced (bass seemed a little overpowering on the Mojo in comparison), more detail and more holographic sound on the PWD. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,198 of 2,609
Schiit Bifrost was impressive at its price point. The Sabre DAC in my Burson V2+, however, provided a noticible improvement in resolution, instrument separation and transient attack. The clear winner, in my opinion, is the  I recently acquired from a fellow member. The Gumby / MZ2 combo is amazing when played through my HE 1000 phones. Truly an end-game combination IMHO. I am very pleased - primarily ALAC files with some higher rez. YMMV. See your dealer for details. Etc.

I am using a Schiit Yggy but would also recommend the Gungnir Multi-Bit for a more budget friendly alternative. I could never go back to a Saber based DAC now...

BTW. I am running KenRad VT-231's in my MZ2 and love them.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #2,199 of 2,609

I am using a Schiit Yggy but would also recommend the Gungnir Multi-Bit for a more budget friendly alternative. I could never go back to a Saber based DAC now...

BTW. I am running KenRad VT-231's in my MZ2 and love them.

Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about Sabre-based DAC's? Just curious, as I've been comparing DACs lately, as I'm shopping. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #2,200 of 2,609
There are lots of solid DACs around these days so it might not be that the Mojo is out of favor or unpopular.   Many of us do use the MZ2 in a home rig and prefer a desktop, standalone DAC.  I used a Mojo with the MZ2 for many months and loved it.  I was not using the Mojo in a portable set up so I wanted to eventually explore other DACs, but I would not doubt that a $550 the Mojo is a fiscally responsible and more than capable DAC.  Probably it's main competitor at that price is the Schiit Bimby.  

Getting to use a DAC before buying is tough so if you can get to a Head-fi meet that is a good way to be an informed shopper.  A lot of us can't do that so we end up reading reviews and then taking the plunge.  I had the Gumby and I liked it a lot.  Definitely could be one's end game DAC.  But, then there is an itch to try new things and I'm now using a Holo Audio Spring DAC.  To my ears, a better DAC than Gumby, and possibly within your price range if you go for the stock DAC (no mods).  One dealer (Urban Hifi) of the MZ2 offers the Metrum Musette so there might be something to the pairing.  Lots of choices, have fun exploring.  

EDIT:  If using a computer as a source, strongly consider a USB Bridge to get the most out of your future DAC.  Many options from $100 to thousands.  USB has come a long way, but I'm finding USB to SPDIF or I2S bridge to be a better option that makes the listening experience even less "digital" and more analog.

Quote:

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #2,202 of 2,609

Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about Sabre-based DAC's? Just curious, as I've been comparing DACs lately, as I'm shopping. 

This is of course a very subjective thing but I found that they had a lot of detail at the expense of being a bit dry. I had a Twisted Pear Buffalo, a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSD SE, and an Auralic Vega. Of these the Vega sounded the best but having heard the Yggy multibit I was impressed with the naturalness and detail with warmth.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,203 of 2,609

This is of course a very subjective thing but I found that they had a lot of detail at the expense of being a bit dry. I had a Twisted Pear Buffalo, a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSD SE, and an Auralic Vega. Of these the Vega sounded the best but having heard the Yggy multibit I was impressed with the naturalness and detail with warmth.

The iBasso DX100 is a portable and the first high end dap and it used the 9018 desktop chip. I have always found it to be open, airy and detailed but not dry. I think that the Sabre chips also require good implementation but I can see where it would be easy to have them slightly dry the caps and associated parts weren't balanced for a neutral sound. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,204 of 2,609
Owners: How does the MZ2 stack up against other OTL headphone amps? I'm curious, as I'm relatively new to this topic and want to learn as much as possible. Having heard the MZ2 a couple of times, I really like it a lot. Not sure how it compares. For you owners, did the MZ2 replace another tube amp and if so, which one?

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,205 of 2,609
  Owners: How does the MZ2 stack up against other OTL headphone amps? I'm curious, as I'm relatively new to this topic and want to learn as much as possible. Having heard the MZ2 a couple of times, I really like it a lot. Not sure how it compares. For you owners, did the MZ2 replace another tube amp and if so, which one?

There really isn't another amp on the market with the same topology as the mZ2. It is neither like a "normal" tube amp or solid state, though, IMO, it has the best qualities of both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back