MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Feb 12, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #961 of 2,609
These are the ones I got:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00PXYPKPI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If they are stock, hopefully I can still return them. Will still feel stupid, though. :)

EDIT: I'm willing to believe I'm more stupid than the average buyer, but maybe you should include the exact names of the stock tubes on the website to prevent this from happening. 

Yep, those are the stock tubes. Current production russian tung sol. It's not the end of the world to have a spare set on hand. And they do say on their website that those are the tubes you get.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #964 of 2,609
If you can afford it. It is much more expensive so it must be better :wink:

Seriously, it all depends on personal preferences. In my previous amp I quickly realized that I was not too fond of the TungSol 6SN7 (albeit I guess I understand why manufactures prefer to use them as stock tubes) and tried various other tubes. With the ZOTL I am now very curious to see how these tubes will perform in the new amp. The ECC31 are a very promising start. But obviously I cannot say that a certain tube works better or worse for you.

Hello Neph...

I take it the new amp is free of hum, for you?

Hope so...

:p

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #966 of 2,609
How could it be any more specific? That's exactly what they are.

If you look here, for example

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tung-sol-6sn7

you will see that there are many, many tubes that go by the name "Tung Sol 6SN7," from 8 bucks to $500 for a pair. 

Maybe it's clear to you that "Tung-Sol Russian vacuum tubes" means "the GTB line currently being produced in Russia", but it hardly seems like it would be obvious to everybody. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #968 of 2,609
@zachawry, I feel your pain, I'm also a tube novice, find this hard to get my head around. Have to thank you, though, you saved me $40, I was about to get the same 12AT7's, FROM THE SAME DEALER, for $160/pair instead of the $120/pair. Think the ZOTL sounds fine with the stock tubes, playing a bit with substituting, but probably doesn't pay to go nuts.
Try to cancel or return the Tung-Sol tubes. :frowning2:
(I'm wondering if this isn't one of those situations where, while things may sound DIFFERENT with tube changes, to get changes that actually make the sound BETTER, you have to go significantly higher in cost for the tubes...).

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #969 of 2,609
If you look here, for example

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tung-sol-6sn7

you will see that there are many, many tubes that go by the name "Tung Sol 6SN7," from 8 bucks to $500 for a pair. 

Maybe it's clear to you that "T[COLOR=363636]ung-Sol Russian vacuum tubes[/COLOR]" means "the GTB line currently being produced in Russia", but it hardly seems like it would be obvious to everybody. 

It's actually pretty simple. All current production tubes that use old tube brand names such as Tung-Sol, Mullard, Gold Lion, Telefunken, etc. are Russian or Eastern European made. Only NOS tubes are the real US made tubes typically made any time between the 1940's and early 1980's. There is only one current production Tung Sol tube and that's the one made in Russia.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #970 of 2,609
Wow, I had no idea this was even out.  In the past I've owned Berning's ZH-270 and the 300B Siegfried (the only piece of gear I've owned that's ever increased in price).  If this new ZOTL2 is voiced anything like his other amps and it sounds like it is based on this thread, then it is sonically my cup of tea.  Both the ZH-270 and Siegfried had tons of clarity and speed.  I could see some people not liking the speed of the amp.  It's a total audiophile cliche, but the Berning stuff definitely marries the best of ss and tube.  The 300B Siegfried was easily the best amp I've ever had and this includes several Shindo amps and many other top-of-the-foodchain amps. 

I'll be placing my order later today.  If this is anything like his other gear, it will reveal everything in the chain.  

Like you I just fell into this discussion and am very excited to order the headphone amp. I am a long time OTL users Atmosphere Joule and still use the ZH270. This is the best news I have heard in months

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #973 of 2,609
  Could someone please tell whether Microzotl2 would pair well with LCD-X ?

While I haven't heard the LCD-X, we used the LCD-XC as one of our demo headphones at the two shows we went to last year. I thought they sounded very well-paired, and I don't think many visitors disagreed. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #974 of 2,609
  Could someone please tell whether Microzotl2 would pair well with LCD-X ?

I haven't heard anything that the micro has not paired well with. It feeds a signal, doesn't mess it up, doesn't need some sort of headphone that compensates for deficiencies so if the LCD-X work well with a quality signal you should have few worries. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #975 of 2,609
alas! i want a zotl to drive a Stax headphone.... it will need the more costly  Zotl 10  with my energizer i think so ? If someone know i am all ears...
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back