MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jan 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #736 of 2,609
Just ordered 2 pairs of 6sn7's, I'll post impressions when I get them.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #737 of 2,609
Using a transcendent mini-beast OTL with the HE1K and it sounds great.  Therefore, I'm curious about the zOTL.  If someone in Chicago has one we could do a comparison.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #738 of 2,609
  Hi there,

I have been lurking here for a few months and recently gave the ZOTL a try - at least for a few days of testing. The unit I borrowed came with a very basic power supply and had just a few hours on the clock so it probably had not reached its full glory but my impressions were very, very positive. It was fascinating how clear, uncoloured and transparent it treats music. Background is pitch-black. However, I have just two small complaints: listening to some recordings via my HD800 sibilants tend to be a bit harsh. On the contrary, on other recordings I noticed that the opposite end (sub-bass, e.g., organs) was almost missing. Don't get me wrong, as soon as the very low frequencies are left behind, it has enough weight & power. I would assume that some tube rolling will change things towards my preferences - where would you recommend to start? With the 6SN7 or 12AT7? Or would a better power supply (e.g., Sbooster) help?

I think power supply might be the first place to start, actually, but it's going to depend on how much you want to spend.  The one I have in mind is a $1000 unit and therefore effectively doubles the cost of the ZOTL, however I'm fairly certainly will also improve it rather significantly.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #740 of 2,609
Jan 13, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #742 of 2,609
I do believe it is the grey glass version.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #743 of 2,609
Hytron can be good also. Are they NOS?

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #744 of 2,609
I still have my money on the Hytron 5692 brown base that you'll place an order for next week :p

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #745 of 2,609
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #746 of 2,609
After trying numerous NOS and new production 6sn7's as preamp tubes in an integrated, I'd say the difference between the several best options was small, and ultimately I found the Sophia electric to be the most resolving.  Differences were also smaller than when rolling power tubes, though in this case they play that role, so swapping may have a larger effect here.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #747 of 2,609
Some people definitely like the Sophia Electric.  I've always been skeptical of that 6SL7 and 6SN7
because you end up seeing it branded so many different times...  It's all over Ebay under different
labels.  So I never really know what to think, or what you're going to get. 

By the way, I wasn't quite sure what you were saying here.  Care to explain a little further:

Differences were also smaller than when rolling power tubes, though in this case they play that role, so swapping may have a larger effect here.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #748 of 2,609
  Some people definitely like the Sophia Electric.  I've always been skeptical of that 6SL7 and 6SN7
because you end up seeing it branded so many different times...  It's all over Ebay under different
labels.  So I never really know what to think, or what you're going to get. 

By the way, I wasn't quite sure what you were saying here.  Care to explain a little further:

I believe he's saying that when he was rolling 6SN7s, they were in the preamp of an integrated amp and thus not the power tubes of that amp - the size of which he does not specify. When he would change the larger tubes, he would hear a larger difference than when changing the 6SN7s. In the MicroZOTL, the 6SN7s are the largest tube, so probably swapping those will give you a larger change in sound than when he was swapping the same tube in a different amp. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #749 of 2,609
So, I ordered 2 sets of tubes, then heard the Hytron 5692 brown base were available from another dealer (who was slow to get back to me). Not inexpensive, though, $188/pair. Any thoughts? Figure I'll try what I already ordered (and shipped today) first...does anyone think these will kill the ones I have coming?
Just curious...

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #750 of 2,609
Indeed that is what I meant - thanks for clarifying.  Agree sophia ele can seem a little sketchy, but to my ear they were significantly better than the competition - small effect size though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back