MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Nov 10, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #496 of 2,609
  I have tried another most difficult phone today : AKG K1000 bass heavy via speaker post
I am very happy as the microzotl2 can drive AKG K1000 with authority at 2 Oclock with normal output setting of Weiss DAC202
So I will leave my output at 2 Oclock and will adjust the volume of the Weiss DAC202 if I use different headphones
Love the cello sound with the AKG K1000 + microzotl2

So far it serves my purpose to drive several difficult headphones that cannot be achieved fully
with my other amplifier :ECBA and EAR HP4.

This is MY concern about the amp (or any headphone amp)
I use Wharfedale Isodynamics, that are lovely to listen to but VERY inefficient. I use a Hafler DH200 amp! 120 ohms. Specs say will handle not more than 25 volt rms music.

My chances of finding someone who uses these AND has a M-Z is tiny!

(Still wading through this string!)

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #497 of 2,609
Yeah, sorry, the HE-1000 that I use is a bit hard to drive (wouldn't use your phone), but not terribly hard, the ZOTL2 does fine...haven't tried it, but I'd guess the HE-6 would not fare as well. Don't know these other cans, though, not sure how they compare.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #498 of 2,609
Interestingly, in this review the author uses the Oppo HA-1 as a reference and finds the soundstage of the MicroZOTL2 to be more confined.  I found it surprising that the SS Oppo would best the MicroZOTL2 in this area.  

I'd be curious as to which other amps have owners compared to the MicroZOTL2 in terms of soundstage, and what were your observations?

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #499 of 2,609

I'm planning on buying the new Enigmacoustic headphones, but my Bottlehead Crack won't run them, so Ive been looking for a new amp. I was going to just build the Sex, which everyone seems to love, but David's new amp looks like a fun way to go. I would imagine a step up from the Sex, but then I don't get to build it.

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #500 of 2,609
  Interestingly, in this review the author uses the Oppo HA-1 as a reference and finds the soundstage of the MicroZOTL2 to be more confined.  I found it surprising that the SS Oppo would best the MicroZOTL2 in this area.  

I'd be curious as to which other amps have owners compared to the MicroZOTL2 in terms of soundstage, and what were your observations?

One thing I have never found with the micro is that the soundstage is confined. It is natural and if the music is recorded with a acoustical aspect to the recording venue, it captures it. Imaging, layering and a wonderful soundstage are all there. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #501 of 2,609
I'm a new member. I came across this thread and have had the Micro Z for a couple of weeks. I am local to Mark and after a talk with him at CAF I took him up on an invite to go to his house for a listen. I was interested in ZOTL40 at the time and he did not have it at the show or at least it wasn't playing. It sounded great with his mini Maggie's BTW but the Micro ZOTL is what I left his house with.

My wife recently laid down the law about my late night listening and told me I'm getting head phones for my birthday. So, the MicroZ seemed perfect to go with my new Oppo PM1's. I like many others on this thread love this little amp and have been a true David Berning fan for some time. It is perhaps the best amp I own and I have a ZH230 powering Janszen hybrid electrostats. The 1 watt Micro, to answer another question on this forum, do power my 93 db sensitive radial speakers with authority and sound fantastic.

Today, I just got home from work and a new Uptone JS-2 Linear power supply has been delivered. I connected it to the Regen and the Micro ZOTL (has enough DC power for both)............ The Heavens opened up and I thought I heard Angels sing. I have found the end of the road.

Lance

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #503 of 2,609
I'm a new member. I came across this thread and have had the Micro Z for a couple of weeks. I am local to Mark and after a talk with him at CAF I took him up on an invite to go to his house for a listen. I was interested in ZOTL40 at the time and he did not have it at the show or at least it wasn't playing. It sounded great with his mini Maggie's BTW but the Micro ZOTL is what I left his house with.

My wife recently laid down the law about my late night listening and told me I'm getting head phones for my birthday. So, the MicroZ seemed perfect to go with my new Oppo PM1's. I like many others on this thread love this little amp and have been a true David Berning fan for some time. It is perhaps the best amp I own and I have a ZH230 powering Janszen hybrid electrostats. The 1 watt Micro, to answer another question on this forum, do power my 93 db sensitive radial speakers with authority and sound fantastic.

Today, I just got home from work and a new Uptone JS-2 Linear power supply has been delivered. I connected it to the Regen and the Micro ZOTL (has enough DC power for both)............ The Heavens opened up and I thought I heard Angels sing. I have found the end of the road.

Lance

No surprise.  Our journeys are similar. I have less opportunity for listening to my loudspeakers as well.  This amplifier (paired with the HE-1000 headphones, in my case) has made headphone listening magical for me like it has for you.  I think a lot of us (DrBlue, doctorjazz, jamato8, etc.) knew this amplifier would be the end of the road for many discerning headphone audiophiles. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #504 of 2,609
No surprise.  Our journeys are similar. I have less opportunity for listening to my loudspeakers as well.  This amplifier (paired with the HE-1000 headphones, in my case) has made headphone listening magical for me like it has for you.  I think a lot of us (DrBlue, doctorjazz, jamato8, etc.) knew this amplifier would be the end of the road for many discerning headphone audiophiles. 

I must hear the HE-1000 eventually. I suppose CAF next year and I might even have some money by then.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #505 of 2,609
I must hear the HE-1000 eventually. I suppose CAF next year and I might even have some money by then.

That will be fun.  But it sounds like the PM-1 is no slouch either.  That means you can't go wrong whether you decide to spring for the HE-1000 or not, since you already have the PM-1.  Not a bad "problem" to have. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #506 of 2,609
We have one of the ZOTL 2.0s arriving today to evaluate... if folks in Raleigh, Durham, etc. are are interested, they are welcome to come by and give it a listen...alternatively, I think we need to do another pre-Christmas headphone mini meet for the area anyways... it's been a few months since the last one and lots of cool stuff has come out since the last get together...

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #507 of 2,609
  We have one of the ZOTL 2.0s arriving today to evaluate... if folks in Raleigh, Durham, etc. are are interested, they are welcome to come by and give it a listen...alternatively, I think we need to do another pre-Christmas headphone mini meet for the area anyways... it's been a few months since the last one and lots of cool stuff has come out since the last get together...

I noticed that you also sell power supplies.  As you almost certainly know, several people have reported significant audible improvements with various linear power supplies, most notably the Joule V by Mojo Audio.  No doubt you already thought of comparing various power supplies with the stock power supply of the MicroZOTL 2.  It would be interesting to hear your impressions of both the MicroZOTL 2 overall and of the unit with various different power supplies.

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #508 of 2,609

I noticed that you also sell power supplies.  As you almost certainly know, several people have reported significant audible improvements with various linear power supplies, most notably the Joule V by Mojo Audio.  No doubt you already thought of comparing various power supplies with the stock power supply of the MicroZOTL 2.  It would be interesting to hear your impressions of both the MicroZOTL 2 overall and of the unit with various different power supplies.

1+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back