MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Sep 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #376 of 2,609
  here something that apparently beat the Zotl amp ( the review is by Dick Olsher who know the zotl amp )... the price around 10,000 dollars seems the only problem....
atsmile.gif

Anybody knows Q-ton amplifier?

its in the same price bracket than the viva egoista amp.... perhaps also better then Zotl amp....

there is always a better something... The wise choose the best quality/price relationship...my last remarks will be that i think that synergy explain many thing in opposite reviews of audio gear on par with the subjectivity of ours ears...
atsmile.gif

Ok, but what tubes?  A big factor, IMO. Also I use the Mojo V power supply and while not cheap, it does improve the sound but to be honest, I would be happy with the stock supply. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #378 of 2,609

Ok, but what tubes?  A big factor, IMO. Also I use the Mojo V power supply and while not cheap, it does improve the sound but to be honest, I would be happy with the stock supply. 

You can roll tubes till the cows have returned and you won't improve the fundamentals of the design. Why is this? It's because David could wrap his head around the transformer..... that's why!
tongue.gif
 Transformers never transfer... that is the problem. It's not just the fundamental frequency under question, the harmonic and sub harmonics remain intact. The transfer of the transformer can't keep up.   

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #380 of 2,609

thanks to your honest report i will waited for upgrading the power supply for sure
smile.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #381 of 2,609

You can roll tubes till the cows have returned and you won't improve the fundamentals of the design. Why is this? It's because David could wrap his head around the transformer..... that's why!
tongue.gif
 Transformers never transfer... that is the problem. It's not just the fundamental frequency under question, the harmonic and sub harmonics remain intact. The transfer of the transformer can't keep up.   

Tubes are part of the design, they are a circuit and as such are a plug and play but you can see how the tubes affect the frequency response and overall sound (within the same family of tubes). The fundamental design is holistic and the tubes are part of that and so it goes to the tube and its quality. I agree that the design has to be right but tube are part of the fundamental (many 6SN7's sound different from each other). 

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #382 of 2,609

Tubes are part of the design, they are a circuit and as such are a plug and play but you can see how the tubes affect the frequency response and overall sound (within the same family of tubes). The fundamental design is holistic and the tubes are part of that and so it goes to the tube and its quality. I agree that the design has to be right but tube are part of the fundamental (many 6SN7's sound different from each other). 

Not so much in a hysteresis free circuit.... a good functioning tube with the call characteristic's of it's part number are what's important. The other designs that assign transformers for matching duties have much more influence with grid transfer changes. The ZOTL stands alone and is different. David's writings and experience kind of bear this out, I just want to remember where I read it. I've swapped around and find little difference....

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #383 of 2,609

Not so much in a hysteresis free circuit.... a good functioning tube with the call characteristic's of it's part number are what's important. The other designs that assign transformers for matching duties have much more influence with grid transfer changes. The ZOTL stands alone and is different. David's writings and experience kind of bear this out, I just want to remember where I read it. I've swapped around and find little difference....

I can appreciate that but I do hear a difference in tubes. For the most part I agree with you and that is what is so spectacular about his design, that it uses the linearity of the tube and no negatives. I agree that transformers have their problems, though I do like silver wound transformers but if you have a Zotl, no need and all the better!

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #384 of 2,609

I can appreciate that but I do hear a difference in tubes. For the most part I agree with you and that is what is so spectacular about his design, that it uses the linearity of the tube and no negatives. I agree that transformers have their problems, though I do like silver wound transformers but if you have a Zotl, no need and all the better!

Yes, linearity is better with better construction and materials (ah, the good old days). Yet, a properly functioning tube makes more difference in a Berning circuit than anything else. I still have Telefunken's on the inlet and the nickel base 6SN7's from Sylvania on the outer edge.... hey I'm superstitious
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #385 of 2,609

Yes, linearity is better with better construction and materials (ah, the good old days). Yet, a properly functioning tube makes more difference in a Berning circuit than anything else. I still have Telefunken's on the inlet and the nickel base 6SN7's from Sylvania on the outer edge.... hey I'm superstitious
biggrin.gif

I am down on my knees
At the wireless knobs
I am down on my knees
At those wireless knobs
Telefunken, Telefunken
And I'm searching for
Luxembourg, Luxembourg,
Athlone, Budapest, AFN,
Hilversum, Helvetia
In the days before rock 'n' roll

**Van Morrison "In The Days Before Rock "n" Roll"

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #386 of 2,609
Telefunken was the brand of radio.... before Grundig in Germany. From wire recorders to microphones from the old masters of Telefunken.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #387 of 2,609

tongue.gif

Disagree on the tubes...  faster, more linear tubes payoff in matching  the transient speed capability of the Microzotl. Wish Siemens had made a 6SN7 tube

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #388 of 2,609
I got a new top that allows for the use of the 6F8G/VT99 tubes with the top on. If gives a clearance of 1/4 of an inch around the tube and works perfect. 

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #389 of 2,609
  I got a new top that allows for the use of the 6F8G/VT99 tubes with the top on. If gives a clearance of 1/4 of an inch around the tube and works perfect. 

And this tube is so good ?

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #390 of 2,609

Here's a picture of the new cover with 1.5-inch holes for the 6F8G tubes. Also a picture of the larger switching power supply I purchased on eBay to replace the stock power supply. I think the power supply made an improvement, but it's an open design that came with no cover. You also have to adjust it to 12-volts and connect your on power cables. Trying to figure a way to enclose it but

leave adequate ventilation, as it runs pretty warm. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back