MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #2,401 of 2,609
The second paragraph of my post pretty much sums up the differences. These are the areas where the MZ Pre really moves ahead.

I have the LTA MicroZOTL version 2 with the LPS. Not sure about minor versions as they are always making improvements. My v2 is about a year old.

The new preamp is better in about every area and it is much quieter.

Hope this helps. I will try to post more as I get more hours with it.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #2,402 of 2,609
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/253609246535

I have this PSU and having just looked at the specs i saw it does 12v (ive been using it as a psu for a r2r unit @ 24v and its extremely good for the price )

I was thinking about switching it to 12v and powering up my microzotl 2.0 with it but now im not so sure if it would be suitable as i havent found the specs for the mzotl psu anywhere

Anyone able to say if it would be ok to go ahead with it? If it is compatable it would be a very cheap upgrade for anyone with the switching PSU.

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #2,403 of 2,609
That PS is 15VA at 120v which I believe means that It probably only puts out ~1A or so at 12v.

On the LTA web site it lists the SMPS power supply as 12v @ 2.5 amps. It is possible that the MZ2 requires less than that but the easy way to find out would be to email LTA using their website contact form. They are very responsive.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #2,405 of 2,609
I love everything about my MZ2 and LPS, have had it for about 7 months now with no issues.

I replaced my MZ2/LPS with the new LTA MicroZOTL preamp. My plan was to sell the MZ2 to pay for the new pre but I like it so much that I kept it to use as my dedicated HP amp. I sold off an old SinglePower Extreme and a Tortuga Audio LDR preamp instead. LTA makes really sturdy, good sounding stuff.

Don't forget to do a little tube rolling with the MZ2.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #2,406 of 2,609
Back with my favorite headphone amp :) I'm on my 3rd MZ2, the current version after have owned the previous two variants of the MZ2. This time I bought one used without the LPS, my first experience hearing a MZ2 without the LPS. It is interesting to hear the MZ2 without the LPS. Everything that I enjoy is there....transparency, resolution, lack of grain and tonality. I do think the LPS adds those last touches of depth and punch. I am holding back on my purchases otherwise I would add the LPS right away from LTA or maybe even Mojo Audio. I do have a HDPLEX200 LPS that I will try with the MZ2 at some point soon.

As for now I'm in between DACs and just supplying music via an old Oppo BDP-93. I will be curious as to the synergy between the MZ2 and DX200. Definitely will give that a shot as well.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,407 of 2,609
Mojo Audio power supplies give the MZ2 the punch and clarity they need to be truly world class performer! worth checking out,. i use mine
as preamp in my main audio system to drive custom Magnaplanars, and it is hallucinagenic sound....

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #2,408 of 2,609
I have now moved to the new LTA Preamp for my speaker system. I worked with Mark at LTA during the last stage of it's development. It is really a big jump past the MZ2 with LPS.

I was going to sell my MZ2 to pay for the preamp but decided to keep it for my HP system. For me the LTA equipment is end game quality.

BTW. Tube rolling can make a big difference.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #2,409 of 2,609
I never tube rolled with my previous MZ2s but this one has a GE 12AT7 tube that is producing a lot of static/crackling noises. When I switched the left and right 12AT7 tubes the static also switched so I'm pretty sure it is just a single tube.

I was all set on getting a new matched pair of 12AT7 (Mullard or maybe Siemens) but then I started thinking about 6201. I usually buy from the biggie tube chains but don't see a good selection of these 6201. Where do most people buy them? Ebay? I have a local store I am going to check out tomorrow and see what they have for 12AT7/6201. I currently have installed a pair of RCA 12SN7 but not looking to change those around for a while unless people feel the 6201 is better matched with the 6SN7. I primarily use Grados, Focal Clear and iBasso SR1. Nothing too power hungry. Might throw in a HD800S down the road.

As a sidenote: I am using the HDPLEX200 and it is working great with the MZ2 albeit its been a year from my last MZ2 w/ LPS+ so I can't really comment on differences. But, over the stock power supply there is an added weight to the notes. A meatier presentation with authority is how I would describe it.

EDIT: Only JJ 12AT7s at my local shop. Going to order some Mullards and GE 6201.

There is an original MicroZ on Ebay selling for $1700. Fun to see what the original looked like. If cheaper I would love to compare it to the existing one. Seems a bit high if the current MicroZ is an overall better unit.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #2,410 of 2,609
I have been using 7062s and like them a lot. Less gain than a 12AT7. I use 14N7 loctal output tubes with a loctal adapter. These are 12v 7N7's which is an early 6SN7.

BTW. It looks like LTA has an MZ3 out now...

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #2,411 of 2,609
Finally get to join the club. Received a brand new unused second hand unit. Previous owner bought it then sold it without ever using it.

Mine is a MZ2 w/ LPS+. I don't know what tubes are in there yet but is supposed to be the NOS option.

I am only on the first hour and waiting for it to burn in some more. So far, the amp it's supposed to be replacing sounds better as a speaker amp and is killing the MZ2 as a headphone amp.
https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14833078/edit
I am sure this will change after 50-100 hours... patience.. I've waited many many years to finally try out the Microzotl ever since I first read about it on audiogon and here. Yes, I waited more than a decade to try this out... why can't I wait a few more weeks for it to burn in .. haha

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #2,412 of 2,609
Congratulations.

Additional burn-in will help. Out of curiosity what is the speaker/headphone amp you are replacing with the MZ2?

What headphones are you using?

Finally get to join the club. Received a brand new unused second hand unit. Previous owner bought it then sold it without ever using it.

Mine is a MZ2 w/ LPS+. I don't know what tubes are in there yet but is supposed to be the NOS option.

I am only on the first hour and waiting for it to burn in some more. So far, the amp it's supposed to be replacing sounds better as a speaker amp and is killing the MZ2 as a headphone amp.
I am sure this will change after 50-100 hours... patience.. I've waited many many years to finally try out the Microzotl ever since I first read about it on audiogon and here. Yes, I waited more than a decade to try this out... why can't I wait a few more weeks for it to burn in .. haha

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,413 of 2,609
Congratulations.

Additional burn-in will help. Out of curiosity what is the speaker/headphone amp you are replacing with the MZ2?

What headphones are you using?

Amp is Fisher KT100. Headphone is HAFXT90 iems. Also have a pair of HD58X but it's at work. If I remember to bring it home tonight...

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,414 of 2,609
Amp is Fisher KT100. Headphone is HAFXT90 iems. Also have a pair of HD58X but it's at work. If I remember to bring it home tonight...

I would not give it a thought before 100 hours. Also tubes make a really big difference ...and not all NOS tubes are created equal. I use 7N7s(6SN7) with loctal adapters and 7062(12AT7) as the driver tubes.

I use HD650 and 800S with it for great results.

I do not think that being used as a speaker amp is it's forte unless you have very efficient speakers of 97db or greater in a near-field config..

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,415 of 2,609
I know there is some burn-in at the manufacturer and I don't recall how long it took for it to become amazing.....but it will eventually reach that status. I'll second the HD800S on the MZ2 is killer. Probably the best I've heard the HD800S. @viggen, bring that HD58X home to hear on the MZ2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back