microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Jul 20, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #211 of 1,183
Not as close as you would get if you used the LTA LPS+, which is also used with the MZ3 (slightly modified for the different power requirements of the MZ3). :)

I regularly have people come into LTA to audition the MZ2 and the MZ3 for the first time, to answer this same question for themselves. I have never had anyone prefer the MZ2. I can usually tell by the look on their faces. :) Imaging, soundstage, and micro-detail (thus overall realism) all take a step up. That said, the MZ2 is no slouch and is "end-game" for some; both have share the core characteristics of clarity, dynamics, dark background and of course have the same power output.
Thanks! Might be semantics but both MZ2 and MZ3 require 12v 3amp? Is the MZ3's PSU capable of going higher than that of MZ2's in terms of Amps?

Jul 20, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #212 of 1,183
Having had both for some time, they pretty much as described above. A little more refinement, bass slam and definition etc with the MZ3. But I could also easily live with the MZ2 as both the MZ2 and 3 are better than most any headphone amp on the market, regardless of price. And, you can tube roll! :^)
I will say that for the MZ3, with Brimar triple-mica, D-getter CV455 (KB/FB: Footscray 1956) and Melz 1578 6N8S (1959), tube rolling is definitely not needed…😀🎶

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #213 of 1,183
Thanks! Might be semantics but both MZ2 and MZ3 require 12v 3amp? Is the MZ3's PSU capable of going higher than that of MZ2's in terms of Amps?

The difference is that the MZ3 has a digital display and control system, which the MZ2 does not, and that requires different power. Otherwise, the audio section's power requirements are the same between the two.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #214 of 1,183
Hi folks, after spending a couple of weeks with the MZ2, I was so impressed I've decided to upgrade to the MZ3. There is definitely some kind of beautiful magic going on in the ZOTL system that gives music a sense of dynamic realism, the likes of which I've not heard in any other amp. I recently got a pair of Kennerton Rognir's, and I think with this set-up I'm basically done.

Anyway, one question - I assume the MZ3 and its accompanying LPS cannot be "stacked" together, correct?

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #215 of 1,183
Hi folks, after spending a couple of weeks with the MZ2, I was so impressed I've decided to upgrade to the MZ3. There is definitely some kind of beautiful magic going on in the ZOTL system that gives music a sense of dynamic realism, the likes of which I've not heard in any other amp. I recently got a pair of Kennerton Rognir's, and I think with this set-up I'm basically done.

Anyway, one question - I assume the MZ3 and its accompanying LPS cannot be "stacked" together, correct?
No, They need ventilation and it is good to have the power supply away from the amp.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #216 of 1,183
~ To @Nostoi: Welcome as a new MZ3er! This is truly an ‘end of the line’ hpa for me. All the dimensionality, image sculpting and delineation of tubes; the ‘thereness’ and immediacy of no output transformer; and the bass control and depth of good solid-state!
~ The tube ‘ammo’ for my MZ3 is: Melz 1578 6N8S (1959 vintage) and Brimar CV455 KB/FB (Footscray plant: 1956). I doubt that I will move off this pairing. I love that the MZ3 uses 12AT7 tubes without requiring adapters! Also 6SN7 tubes with the flick of a jumper switch inside!
3A68C6BD-CA87-499E-94BF-BEE1F5C52697.jpeg

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #217 of 1,183
~ To @Nostoi: Welcome as a new MZ3er! This is truly an ‘end of the line’ hpa for me. All the dimensionality, image sculpting and delineation of tubes; the ‘thereness’ and immediacy of no output transformer; and the bass control and depth of good solid-state!
~ The tube ‘ammo’ for my MZ3 is: Melz 1578 6N8S (1959 vintage) and Brimar CV455 KB/FB (Footscray plant: 1956). I doubt that I will move off this pairing. I love that the MZ3 uses 12AT7 tubes without requiring adapters! Also 6SN7 tubes with the flick of a jumper switch inside!3A68C6BD-CA87-499E-94BF-BEE1F5C52697.jpeg
Thank you, sir. Diggin' your set-up, too - that Mystique DAC :ok_hand:

Thanks for tube tips. Once I receive the amp - currently being built, I understand - I'll get settled and think about tubes. From what I gather, the stock tubes are already very good.

I look forward to it. And indeed that's what I loved about the MZ2 already - the dynamics and punch of a high-end SS amp combined with the sense of scale of a tube amp. Beyond that, I think the MZ3 is surely the best looking amp out there.

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #218 of 1,183
In my opinion, you can get different but no better than the MZ3 and most amps, even more expensive, will not come close to it, it is that good.

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #219 of 1,183
An obvious plus in the design of the MZ3, as well as the MZ2, is the external power supply. Great for ‘electronically quiet’ operation !

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #220 of 1,183
I got out my Ultrasone Edition 9 and they pair great with the MZ3 and the DX300 with line out. Hard to fault the sound. Number 1010.

Sep 16, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #221 of 1,183
Well, after a month's wait the MZ3 has arrived. Looks great, feels great, and....seems like one of the tubes has been damaged in transit. I'm getting an imbalanced output with distortion in the left channel. In touch with LTA EU but if anyone has tips for testing here, I'd be keen to hear...

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #222 of 1,183
Well, after a month's wait the MZ3 has arrived. Looks great, feels great, and....seems like one of the tubes has been damaged in transit. I'm getting an imbalanced output with distortion in the left channel. In touch with LTA EU but if anyone has tips for testing here, I'd be keen to hear...
You can try to isolate the issue to a single tube by switching the tubes from the left to right channel (only one tube type at a time). If/when the issue moves to the other channel, you’ve found your issue. I actually had this happen to me when I had an MZ2, and I was able to find that one of my 6SN7 tubes was the issue.

Remember to let your tubes cool a few minutes before pulling them out, and be as gentle as possible, and never performing more than a very light rocking motion to get them out (and never in a circle).

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #223 of 1,183
You can try to isolate the issue to a single tube by switching the tubes from the left to right channel (only one tube type at a time). If/when the issue moves to the other channel, you’ve found your issue. I actually had this happen to me when I had an MZ2, and I was able to find that one of my 6SN7 tubes was the issue.

Remember to let your tubes cool a few minutes before pulling them out, and be as gentle as possible, and never performing more than a very light rocking motion to get them out (and never in a circle).
Thanks. Tried this, sadly the issue still persists on the left channel. I wish it was just a dodgy tube. Instead, the issue looks more puzzling. Maybe a fuse issue?

In any case, big disappointment, frankly. The idea of sending this back to LTA EU and then onward to LTA in the US....meh. Not sure I have the stamina.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #224 of 1,183
Thanks. Tried this, sadly the issue still persists on the left channel. I wish it was just a dodgy tube. Instead, the issue looks more puzzling. Maybe a fuse issue?

In any case, big disappointment, frankly. The idea of sending this back to LTA EU and then onward to LTA in the US....meh. Not sure I have the stamina.

Hi. I realize this is a huge disappointment, and I am personally sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to be able to resolve the issue without the unit leaving the EU and back to you in perfect working order ASAP. You of course have my email address if you need anything in the meantime. Thanks for your patience.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #225 of 1,183
Hi. I realize this is a huge disappointment, and I am personally sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to be able to resolve the issue without the unit leaving the EU and back to you in perfect working order ASAP. You of course have my email address if you need anything in the meantime. Thanks for your patience.
Thanks for this, Nicholas - appreciate the reply and the words.

The MZ3 is on its way back to LTA EU as I write and hopefully will be a simple fix. I'm now travelling, so if there was a time for it be under the knife, so to speak, then this is as good time as any.

I will be very curious to read what the problem was. Just hoping it's easily resolvable.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back