microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Sep 20, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #226 of 1,183
Hi all! Just received my MZ3 on Friday and so far I love it! Feeding the MZ3 with a Benchmark DAC-3b. I bought it as an alternative to my Benchmark HPA4. I love the Benchmark but also wanted a different sound depending on my mood. Sometimes I really love the reveal of the HPA4 and the studio sound it brings for critical listening.
Other times I just want to get lost in the music and unwind after a long day of work. This is where the MZ3 comes in. So far it’s paired well with my Focal Clear MGs and Beyerdynamic 1770 Pros. I’m Looking forward to having it settle in over the next week or so. I’ve also ordered a Denafrips Ares II to try with it.
Glad to be a part of the group!

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #227 of 1,183
Hi all! Just received my MZ3 on Friday and so far I love it! Feeding the MZ3 with a Benchmark DAC-3b. I bought it as an alternative to my Benchmark HPA4. I love the Benchmark but also wanted a different sound depending on my mood. Sometimes I really love the reveal of the HPA4 and the studio sound it brings for critical listening.
Other times I just want to get lost in the music and unwind after a long day of work. This is where the MZ3 comes in. So far it’s paired well with my Focal Clear MGs and Beyerdynamic 1770 Pros. I’m Looking forward to having it settle in over the next week or so. I’ve also ordered a Denafrips Ares II to try with it.
You will love the MZ3 being fed by the R2R topology Denafrips Ares II. I use a R2R NOS DAC by Mojo Audio, the EVO Mystique (pro level) to feed the MZ3. Sound: n-a-t-u-r-a-l. I used to own the Benchmark DAC3 but after the EVO the Benchmark sounded ‘clinical’.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #228 of 1,183
You will love the MZ3 being fed by the R2R topology Denafrips Ares II. I use a R2R NOS DAC by Mojo Audio, the EVO Mystique (pro level) to feed the MZ3. Sound: n-a-t-u-r-a-l. I used to own the Benchmark DAC3 but after the EVO the Benchmark sounded ‘clinical’.
I’ll keep the DAC-3b with the HPA4 as it’s a great pairing for when I really want to analyze a recording. I was between the Denafrips Ares II and the MHDT Orchid but so hard when you can’t listen side by side. I thought the Denafrips was a good place to start with so many positive reviews.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #229 of 1,183
I’ll keep the DAC-3b with the HPA4 as it’s a great pairing for when I really want to analyze a recording. I was between the Denafrips Ares II and the MHDT Orchid but so hard when you can’t listen side by side. I thought the Denafrips was a good place to start with so many positive reviews.
I think that you will be startled by the difference between good R2R/NOS and good ‘AKM / ESS’ sigma-delta DACs in their sonic presentation.

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #230 of 1,183
Novice question. Will an Mz2 or Mz3 happily drive a planar like an mid-sensitivity headphone like the Ananda or Dan Clark Aeon? I love the small form factor and the aesthetic of the MZ2, but can a tube amp like this drive my headphones?

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #231 of 1,183
Novice question. Will an Mz2 or Mz3 happily drive a planar like an mid-sensitivity headphone like the Ananda or Dan Clark Aeon? I love the small form factor and the aesthetic of the MZ2, but can a tube amp like this drive my headphones?
I own the MZ3 and have successfully (that is, enjoyably) driven planar headphones from the Audeze LCD-X (20 ohms) to the LCD-4 (200 ohms) and driven dynamic headphones from the Focal Clear (55 ohms) to the Beyerdynamic DT-880 (600 ohms). The LCD-4 and DT-880 needed the volume knob further clockwise…

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #232 of 1,183
No problem. It will also drive more current hungry planar headphones without issue and do a very fine job. Excellent sound.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #234 of 1,183
Hi. I realize this is a huge disappointment, and I am personally sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to be able to resolve the issue without the unit leaving the EU and back to you in perfect working order ASAP. You of course have my email address if you need anything in the meantime. Thanks for your patience.
Well, it looks as though my opportunity to hear the MZ3 has come to an unfortunate end.

After I returned the faulty MZ3, it was established that the problem was not tube related, but a component on the PCB board. The PCB board was then replaced and the unit was apparently fixed. I'm not quite sure if I'm terribly reassured by the fact that the entire PCB board was replaced or not. It would have been more reassuring if was just tube related (after all, I cannot replace the PCB board after the warranty expires).

However, here things took a turn for the worst. While the PCB was replaced within a day, it took another week to return the unit, but alas a decision was made to send it via regular Danish Post. I found this odd, because when I returned the MZ2 via Danish Post from Vienna we encountered major issues (there were 3 attempts to deliver) and LTA EU told me that Danish Post are a magnetic for disasters. It seems as though they were right. Two weeks on from being fixed, the following notification came up via Austrian Post:

Screenshot 2021-10-08 145509.png

At this point, I am just totally exhausted with the whole process of waiting for a repaired MZ3 and find any enthusiasm for owing it totally dwindled. It was 3 months ago ago that I first ordered it. I have to say, I sold a bunch of gear to fund this amp - including the very fine Sparkos Labs Aries - and it's hard to not feel a little remorse about those decisions.

I've no doubt LTA make very fine amps, but it seems as though a run of bad luck stands in the way of me hearing it. I also don't wish to be overly negative about LTA EU. They're very friendly and helpful (and I'm also not saying anything here that I've not already told them on email), but in this case, I think sending a 4k amp via regular postal service was a questionable decision, which doesn't inspire consumer confidence.

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #235 of 1,183
Well, it looks as though my opportunity to hear the MZ3 has come to an unfortunate end.

After I returned the faulty MZ3, it was established that the problem was not tube related, but a component on the PCB board. The PCB board was then replaced and the unit was apparently fixed. I'm not quite sure if I'm terribly reassured by the fact that the entire PCB board was replaced or not. It would have been more reassuring if was just tube related (after all, I cannot replace the PCB board after the warranty expires).

However, here things took a turn for the worst. While the PCB was replaced within a day, it took another week to return the unit, but alas a decision was made to send it via regular Danish Post. I found this odd, because when I returned the MZ2 via Danish Post from Vienna we encountered major issues (there were 3 attempts to deliver) and LTA EU told me that Danish Post are a magnetic for disasters. It seems as though they were right. Two weeks on from being fixed, the following notification came up via Austrian Post:

Screenshot 2021-10-08 145509.png

At this point, I am just totally exhausted with the whole process of waiting for a repaired MZ3 and find any enthusiasm for owing it totally dwindled. It was 3 months ago ago that I first ordered it. I have to say, I sold a bunch of gear to fund this amp - including the very fine Sparkos Labs Aries - and it's hard to not feel a little remorse about those decisions.

I've no doubt LTA make very fine amps, but it seems as though a run of bad luck stands in the way of me hearing it. I also don't wish to be overly negative about LTA EU. They're very friendly and helpful (and I'm also not saying anything here that I've not already told them on email), but in this case, I think sending a 4k amp via regular postal service was a questionable decision, which doesn't inspire consumer confidence.
6/10

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #236 of 1,183
I had the opportunity to go to LTA recently. I initially had a budget of around $1000 so figured really the mz2 (without the LPS) was going to be perfect. I'm not an audiophile but made the mistake of listening to empyreans at a local store and couldn't stop thinking about them. But when I connected them to my current set up they were definitely lacking. This lead me down a financially dangerous rabbit hole...

The LTA store in Takoma Park is great. They had an impressive selection of headphones to sample and Nicholas was very patient going over the different options and letting me try out different dacs and the amps. He was very knowledgeable and there was absolutely no pressure.

Honestly, I had a very hard time hearing a large difference between the mz2 (with the LPS) and the mz3. This is not to take away from the mz3 but I think it shows how impressive the mz2 is. However, there was enough of a difference that after some deliberation I ended up ordering the mz3 (going to take a few weeks to build). So I guess my $1000 budget didn't hold very well. That's probably the main reason not to go to LTA is you may end up spending more than you had planned for!

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #237 of 1,183
I had the opportunity to go to LTA recently. I initially had a budget of around $1000 so figured really the mz2 (without the LPS) was going to be perfect. I'm not an audiophile but made the mistake of listening to empyreans at a local store and couldn't stop thinking about them. But when I connected them to my current set up they were definitely lacking. This lead me down a financially dangerous rabbit hole...

The LTA store in Takoma Park is great. They had an impressive selection of headphones to sample and Nicholas was very patient going over the different options and letting me try out different dacs and the amps. He was very knowledgeable and there was absolutely no pressure.

Honestly, I had a very hard time hearing a large difference between the mz2 (with the LPS) and the mz3. This is not to take away from the mz3 but I think it shows how impressive the mz2 is. However, there was enough of a difference that after some deliberation I ended up ordering the mz3 (going to take a few weeks to build). So I guess my $1000 budget didn't hold very well. That's probably the main reason not to go to LTA is you may end up spending more than you had planned for!
I was happy when you said you didn't hear much difference between MZ2 and MZ3.... the upgrade itch remains.

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #238 of 1,183

You will love the MZ3! The dynamics, subtle detail, naturalness will captive you in the present and future…I have been a happy owner for a little over a year…

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #239 of 1,183
The biggest difference I found with the 3 was a significantly wider, more open sound stage. It had that in common with the Schiit Saga so I put that down to both units using a resistor ladder for volume control. The 3 was also more natural sounding overall where the 2 sounded as though it had greater impact. Sins of omission vs the 3 really.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #240 of 1,183
You will love the MZ3! The dynamics, subtle detail, naturalness will captive you in the present and future…I have been a happy owner for a little over a year…82A245DE-D156-4EBA-9255-4248AD565A90.jpeg
Wow thats a sweet set up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back