microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Dec 16, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #181 of 1,183
Yea as a preamp for Susvara and Abyss TC. As a headamp for ATH-ADX5000, HD6XX, HD600 and IER-Z1R.
is it not enough for Abyss as an amp

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #182 of 1,183
well is it not enough for Abyss as an amp
I would not agree with you and neither would the guy that first used his Abyss on it. At a show he said he wasn't going to try it, since he knew it would not be enough. It was and he was amazed. I listened and about a half a year later bought the current Abyss, and is sound great. That is two opinions.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #183 of 1,183
I would not agree with you and neither would the guy that first used his Abyss on it. At a show he said he wasn't going to try it, since he knew it would not be enough. It was and he was amazed. I listened and about a half a year later bought the current Abyss, and is sound great. That is two opinions.
for me I sold my chord tt2 and I liked it, but right now I want to buy wihtout any compromises at all and this is what I look for

1- alot of power to drive any headphone
2- musical signature, with full bodied mids, and great bass and not harsh at all
3- preferably it will be a on device ( dac/ amp ) or a combo set up which will mean buying 2 devices to match what i look for

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #184 of 1,183
Thought I'd just update after 24 hours of burning in. I'm running Roon through OpticalRendu to Sony TA-ZH headphone amp, now being used just as DAC to MZ3 to Verités. As I first reported, the space, layering and timbre of orchestral music impressed me at once. There was a little blurring that started to bother me, but I discovering that was down to the Roon crossfeed function, which I'd liked with the TA-ZH to give more presence, but was counterproductive with the MZ3. The bass is far more powerful than with the Sony (really noticeable in orchestral work which for the first time through headphones has the heft of the live experience) but doesn't overwhelm; it's very well-defined. My go-to test for any new component is Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch album, complex yet funky, with a remarkable range of instrumental colours, timbres and attack brought into close ensemble, and beautifully recorded. It's also one of my half-dozen favourite pieces of music. It's fantastic through the MZ3, in every respect. In fact, this betters my big system and I'm starting to wonder how I can replace my Naim amps, upgraded over the years, with Linear Tube....

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #185 of 1,183
I am impressed with the MZ3. Received it yesterday. The sound is amazing so far, much more filled in and 3D as compared to my THX789 (from what I can tell). Clear/clean sound, with tube sound rolled in. No background noise. Listening with Focal Clear at the moment.

20201215_103033.jpg20201215_103106.jpg20201215_103046.jpg
Interesting... Looks like the new psu is the same shape as the amp. Mine is the longer, rectangular version.
I hide mine out of the way so I'm not too terribly concerned but it's cool they changed it up.

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #186 of 1,183
Here are the stock tube(s)

Made in Canada
General Electric GE - JAN-CLPV 12SX7GT 62-09

20201215_143825.jpg20201215_143902.jpg

Very nice I believe that I have a pair of the same tube, they have more bass compare to the LTA's stock RCA tubes to my ears.

Attachments

• 84EE9531-EC03-429D-AD6F-C12CD3CFF7C1.jpeg
    84EE9531-EC03-429D-AD6F-C12CD3CFF7C1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 535DBA0B-F556-49B4-A3F5-52BBFBAF5D4F.jpeg
    535DBA0B-F556-49B4-A3F5-52BBFBAF5D4F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 7, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #187 of 1,183
is the MicorZotl 3 enough to drive with authority hifiman he1000v1

I wonder if leaner means that the signature of the amp is leaning toward analytical lean signature, as all hifiman headphone in the 1000 series in my opinion would be better to match up with full bodied rich organic amps

I always associate leaner with burson amps, where i did have the conductor 2 and that was not the signature I liked at all, as the mids were thin, and when you raise the volume is just highs and bass
I used to have a burson soloist and really enjoyed it but I personally feel the MZ3 is better than the soloist. Don't know about the he1000v1 but I have a mrspeaker aeon with planer magnetic drivers which is not the easiest to drive, I listen to it on MZ3 wiith volume turn up to about 40~50 for total of 100 headroom on the MZ3. You may have to try it out in person to be sure. However the LTA does offer 14 day return if it doesn't work out for you.

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #188 of 1,183
Rather quyiet around here, so I'll report I exchanged my Sony headamp's DAC for a Musician Pegasus, a big improvement. Sounds perfect with no oversampling on the Pegasus and no DSP on Roon. Takes a good week to bed in, but this DAC is an amazing bargain - I'm an R2R convert.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #189 of 1,183
buonasera a tutti, sono un nuovo "comer". Ho appena preso un mz3, è venuto con il nuovo trasformatore, ma volevo chiedere se qualcuno di voi il potenziometro raggiunge 127 sul display., come il mio, grazie Mike.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #190 of 1,183
For a home amp, there is little, IMO, that can beat the sound quality and great build of the MZ3. Pair it with a good source and you have got music!

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #191 of 1,183
For a home amp, there is little, IMO, that can beat the sound quality and great build of the MZ3. Pair it with a good source and you have got music!
I agree, I think the MZ3 should be compared with amps well above its price tag. Also the form factor of in comparison with other OTL amps in this range is unreal.

May 1, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #192 of 1,183
I am hoping to get the thoughts of some folks who have had both the MZ2 and MZ3 (from my reading, this should include at least @jamato8 and @Matthew Willims)

I recently was able to demo an MZ2. The super low noise floor blew me away, but I found that it lost a lot of detail and "smoothed over" the music a bit too much for my taste. I have another couple of other SET tube amps (Woo WA5 and ZMF Pendant) which retain detail better, but the noise floor is too high for my sensitive headphones (Focal Utopia). If the MZ3 could match the MZ2 on noise floor, but meaningfully improve detail retrieval over the MZ2, it might just be the amp for me.

Thoughts? Is there noticeably more detail from the MZ3 vs the MZ2?

May 1, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #193 of 1,183
I am hoping to get the thoughts of some folks who have had both the MZ2 and MZ3 (from my reading, this should include at least @jamato8 and @Matthew Willims)

I recently was able to demo an MZ2. The super low noise floor blew me away, but I found that it lost a lot of detail and "smoothed over" the music a bit too much for my taste. I have another couple of other SET tube amps (Woo WA5 and ZMF Pendant) which retain detail better, but the noise floor is too high for my sensitive headphones (Focal Utopia). If the MZ3 could match the MZ2 on noise floor, but meaningfully improve detail retrieval over the MZ2, it might just be the amp for me.

Thoughts? Is there noticeably more detail from the MZ3 vs the MZ2?
I would try it with different tubes. Maybe the tubes have been run a long time? I get very good detail with the MZ2 and the MZ3, in fact it is something that they are really good at.

May 1, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #194 of 1,183
I would try it with different tubes. Maybe the tubes have been run a long time? I get very good detail with the MZ2 and the MZ3, in fact it is something that they are really good at.

I really appreciate the reply! As it turns out, the tubes I used in the MZ2 are tubes that I also use in my other amps, and they perform fine there. My favorite combination in the MZ2 was a pair of RCA (grey glass) 6SN7 and La Radiotechnique 12AU7 tubes. I get the most microdetail plugging straight into my Chord DAVE, which makes sense, and then a very slight loss (about even) in the Woo WA5 and ZMF Pendant, and a bit more smoothing in the MZ2. Don't get me wrong - it's not like I plug in and find that it's terrible - but there's just no point in using a DAVE and Utopia combination with an amp that's going to smooth over that glorious detail.

My main goal is to find a tube amp that gives me (close to) the speed, clarity, and micro-detail of solid state, and then some added holographic imaging and expanded soundstage, which tubes excel at. The LTA amps seemed like prime candidates, but I felt the MZ2 didn't quite make the cut in terms of preserving detail.

May 1, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #195 of 1,183
I really appreciate the reply! As it turns out, the tubes I used in the MZ2 are tubes that I also use in my other amps, and they perform fine there. My favorite combination in the MZ2 was a pair of RCA (grey glass) 6SN7 and La Radiotechnique 12AU7 tubes. I get the most microdetail plugging straight into my Chord DAVE, which makes sense, and then a very slight loss (about even) in the Woo WA5 and ZMF Pendant, and a bit more smoothing in the MZ2. Don't get me wrong - it's not like I plug in and find that it's terrible - but there's just no point in using a DAVE and Utopia combination with an amp that's going to smooth over that glorious detail.

My main goal is to find a tube amp that gives me (close to) the speed, clarity, and micro-detail of solid state, and then some added holographic imaging and expanded soundstage, which tubes excel at. The LTA amps seemed like prime candidates, but I felt the MZ2 didn't quite make the cut in terms of preserving detail.
I have many NOS in 12SN7 and 6SN7 and some of the very best but have never liked the grey glass. I find them a little muddy, cover up details and too warm sounding. I would also try something other than the 12AU7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back