microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
May 1, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #196 of 1,183
I have many NOS in 12SN7 and 6SN7 and some of the very best but have never liked the grey glass. I find them a little muddy, cover up details and too warm sounding. I would also try something other than the 12AU7.

I had read the same thing about the RCA grey glass, but they somehow are doing about the same or better in terms of detail than the other 6SN7 tubes I have - Sylvania short bottles from 1945 and then some yellow label Sylvanias from I don't know when. Either way, the same exact tubes seem to perform better in terms of detail in my other amps, unless there's some bizarre false perception of additional clarity due to something like noise floor in the other amps - but I don't think so. I also tried some good 12AT7 tubes in the MZ2, and they didn't really add anything in terms of clarity - just a bit of gain, but performance didn't change much. The La Radiotechnique 12AU7 tubes are crystal clear, which is why I like them, and it's my preferred input tube on the ZMF Pendant. I have a pair of mid-tier Tung Sols coming soon, and I'm on a wait list for a pair of Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plates, but they're impossible to find as a true NOS matched pair. What are your favorite 6SN7 tubes?

I'd love to try out the MZ3, regardless, but I haven't seen one on the used market since I started tracking it a month or so ago. I'd be willing to buy new if I were positive I'd love it, but just not sure.

May 8, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #197 of 1,183
I was recently able to listen to headphones on the LTA MZ3 and Z10 side by side. I would just say, if you are a MZ3 fan, you owe it to yourself to try the Z10. The jump in information retrieval and detail resolution was quite a surprise, and enjoyable.

May 10, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #199 of 1,183
I was recently able to listen to headphones on the LTA MZ3 and Z10 side by side. I would just say, if you are a MZ3 fan, you owe it to yourself to try the Z10. The jump in information retrieval and detail resolution was quite a surprise, and enjoyable.
It also depends upon the tubes being used.

May 10, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #200 of 1,183
Does that also stand for the Z10E model? Do you know if Z10 and Z10E have similar topologies?

May 10, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #201 of 1,183
Does that also stand for the Z10E model? Do you know if Z10 and Z10E have similar topologies?
I was referring to the Z10 not the Z10E.
I don't know enough about the Z10E to answer that question.

May 10, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #202 of 1,183
I believe so, they have same topology except power supply on the Z10E is external and off course the connection for electrostatic, but if you have any questions please contact Nicholas at LTA, great customer service support, they actually modded my Z10 with an external power supply to lower noise for headphone listening..

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #203 of 1,183
Here is the LTA MicroZOTL MZ3 in my system. The tubes used are: Brimar CV455 KB/FB D-getter (Footscray plant, 1956) and Melz 1578 6N8S (1959). Astounding sound quality ==> deep emotional involvement…:
8728717A-BC7B-4284-8DE7-DC7B8C4DD9ED.jpeg
6947BAC9-CF89-42C9-878F-B217CEFEF1D6.jpeg

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #205 of 1,183
Here is the LTA MicroZOTL MZ3 in my system. The tubes used are: Brimar CV455 KB/FB D-getter (Footscray plant, 1956) and Melz 1578 6N8S (1959). Astounding sound quality ==> deep emotional involvement…:

Nice stack! I like your definition of sound quality as well 🤘

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #206 of 1,183
how close can the mz2 get to mz3 if mz2 were plugged into a big lpsu ie a hdplex 300?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #208 of 1,183
how close can the mz2 get to mz3 if mz2 were plugged into a big lpsu ie a hdplex 300?

Not as close as you would get if you used the LTA LPS+, which is also used with the MZ3 (slightly modified for the different power requirements of the MZ3). :)

Would also like to know this and more generally to what extent the MZ3 is notable step-up from MZ2 in terms of imaging and detail retrieval. I'm on the fence deciding which one to get.

I regularly have people come into LTA to audition the MZ2 and the MZ3 for the first time, to answer this same question for themselves. I have never had anyone prefer the MZ2. I can usually tell by the look on their faces. :) Imaging, soundstage, and micro-detail (thus overall realism) all take a step up. That said, the MZ2 is no slouch and is "end-game" for some; both have share the core characteristics of clarity, dynamics, dark background and of course have the same power output.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #209 of 1,183
Not as close as you would get if you used the LTA LPS+, which is also used with the MZ3 (slightly modified for the different power requirements of the MZ3). :)

I regularly have people come into LTA to audition the MZ2 and the MZ3 for the first time, to answer this same question for themselves. I have never had anyone prefer the MZ2. I can usually tell by the look on their faces. :) Imaging, soundstage, and micro-detail (thus overall realism) all take a step up. That said, the MZ2 is no slouch and is "end-game" for some; both have share the core characteristics of clarity, dynamics, dark background and of course have the same power output.
Thank you, sir; you are making the move toward MZ3 rather than MZ2 almost inevitable!

Jul 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #210 of 1,183
Thank you, sir; you are making the move toward MZ3 rather than MZ2 almost inevitable!
Having had both for some time, they pretty much as described above. A little more refinement, bass slam and definition etc with the MZ3. But I could also easily live with the MZ2 as both the MZ2 and 3 are better than most any headphone amp on the market, regardless of price. And, you can tube roll! :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back