microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Jul 21, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #961 of 1,191
Another delivery! :)

20230721_225407.jpg

Jul 21, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #963 of 1,191
Jul 22, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #964 of 1,191
I listened to the Melz 1578/GEC A2900 combination last night for a few hours with ZMF Atrium Open Ltd. I have to say that Van was absolutely spot on; together with my new Audial S5 and Pi2AES 2.0 this tube combination is producing the best SQ I have ever heard in my system. It's just incredibly good. The music has genuine body, depth, vibrancy and definition. But there's also an enveloping 3D holographic quality to it. Sorry, I can't articulate the sound any better - I genuinely haven't heard anything better. I suspect I shall stock up on a couple of pairs of each tube to keep me going.

It's actually super exciting because now that I own this tube combination and wonderful NOS DAC, I can improve things further with further headphone acquisitions. I am really hoping to add Caldera to my collection later this year if Zach creates a stabilised set that appeals, and finances allow. I'm also interested in HE1000SE and HD800S.

I have to say that the Pi2AES 2.0 I added to my system this week is absolutely incredible. It's a Pi Hat and is running on a Pi4 with Ropieee. I am powering it with a 5V LPSU and feeding the S5 via BNC. It outputs I2S also (as well as SPDIF Coax and AES), and there are two jumper defined I2S schemes, one of which is pin compatible with the S5. Something to try next week!

I currently have everything on the floor of my music room to make swapping components in and out for testing easier, so I shall have to get the rack dusted off and reorganise next week.

20230719_233318.jpg

20230719_233307.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #965 of 1,191
I listened to the Melz 1578/GEC A2900 combination last night for a few hours with ZMF Atrium Open Ltd. I have to say that Van was absolutely spot on; together with my new Audial S5 and Pi2AES 2.0 this tube combination is producing the best SQ I have ever heard in my system. It's just incredibly good. The music has genuine body, depth, vibrancy and definition. But there's also an enveloping 3D holographic quality to it. Sorry, I can't articulate the sound any better - I genuinely haven't heard anything better. I suspect I shall stock up on a couple of pairs of each tube to keep me going.

It's actually super exciting because now that I own this tube combination and wonderful NOS DAC, I can improve things further with further headphone acquisitions. I am really hoping to add Caldera to my collection later this year if Zach creates a stabilised set that appeals, and finances allow. I'm also interested in HE1000SE and HD800S.

I have to say that the Pi2AES 2.0 I added to my system this week is absolutely incredible. It's a Pi Hat and is running on a Pi4 with Ropieee. I am powering it with a 5V LPSU and feeding the S5 via BNC. It outputs I2S also (as well as SPDIF Coax and AES), and there are two jumper defined I2S schemes, one of which is pin compatible with the S5. Something to try next week!

I currently have everything on the floor of my music room to make swapping components in and out for testing easier, so I shall have to get the rack dusted off and reorganise next week.

Congratulations John, it's been a long time coming! :beerchug: :L3000:

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #966 of 1,191
Jul 22, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #967 of 1,191
Thank you David,

Indeed it has! 😊

I hope all is well with you?
I'm doing great, enjoying my rig and family time. We've been lucky with the heat too! Hope everything non audio is good with you!

Jul 30, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #968 of 1,191
At SBAF "clemmaster" feeds his Audial S5 with a Holo Red via USB and seems to like it very much.
BTW, congrats, the black version looks really great, I am curious about your listening impressions.

Matt
Indeed, the Red is a great USB source and rocks with the Audial S5!

Actually, the S5 just sounds good out of anything (its USB implementation is excellent). I now use it with my iPhone 13 Pro with the USB 3 CCK (with external power - the S5 needs it) and Curious Evolved and it’s fantastic.

Despite owning the Wavedream XLR Edition, the S5 will always have a place in my system(s). The built in balanced transformer makes it sound great in every setup.

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #969 of 1,191
Indeed, the Red is a great USB source and rocks with the Audial S5!

Actually, the S5 just sounds good out of anything (its USB implementation is excellent). I now use it with my iPhone 13 Pro with the USB 3 CCK (with external power - the S5 needs it) and Curious Evolved and it’s fantastic.

Despite owning the Wavedream XLR Edition, the S5 will always have a place in my system(s). The built in balanced transformer makes it sound great in every setup.
I was hoping you'd reply, I have posted trying to reach you on SABF too.

Did you have any luck finding an I2S source that works with the S5? I am struggling, and honestly Pedja isn't being much help. He can't suggest an I2S source that works, and tells me just to use USB. He seems to be using a bizarre I2S pinout that no-one else is using - not sure why he bothered?

Holo Red is OOS at Magna, so I am currently using either the USB out on a Pi4, or BNC out on the Pi2AES.

I'd really like to try a working I2S source, but suspect I am going to have to settle for USB. Either Holo Red or I may try the Ever Solo.

Thoughts?

I do love the S5 though, it is an amazing DAC. It sounds incredible.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #970 of 1,191
I was hoping you'd reply, I have posted trying to reach you on SABF too.

Did you have any luck finding an I2S source that works with the S5? I am struggling, and honestly Pedja isn't being much help. He can't suggest an I2S source that works, and tells me just to use USB. He seems to be using a bizarre I2S pinout that no-one else is using - not sure why he bothered?

Holo Red is OOS at Magna, so I am currently using either the USB out on a Pi4, or BNC out on the Pi2AES.

I'd really like to try a working I2S source, but suspect I am going to have to settle for USB. Either Holo Red or I may try the Ever Solo.

Thoughts?

I do love the S5 though, it is an amazing DAC. It sounds incredible.
I would just go with USB, as it is galvanically isolated and won't break the isolation offered by the built-in balanced isolation transformer.

I thought I tried the I2S with the RED and it worked without changing the jumpers, but it's been a while and I could be misremembering. The Pi2AES is the same pinout as the Red by default, so you could try that?

Jul 31, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #972 of 1,191
I would just go with USB, as it is galvanically isolated and won't break the isolation offered by the built-in balanced isolation transformer.

I thought I tried the I2S with the RED and it worked without changing the jumpers, but it's been a while and I could be misremembering. The Pi2AES is the same pinout as the Red by default, so you could try that?
Neither of the Pi2AES 2.0 I2S pinout options work with S5.

Aug 8, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #973 of 1,191
I been chasing these 12SN7 TungSol black glass round plate tubes and finally acquired them from local Head-Fier. They are as good as Melz 1578 or even better. I have to give the edge to the TSs
PXL_20230808_150254385 (2).jpg
PXL_20230808_151957163 (2).jpg
for beautiful vocals and mids. They are a tad fuller and forward than the Melzs and everything else is equal. TS 12SN7 + Gec A2900 = Beautiful sound.

Aug 8, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #974 of 1,191
The nice thing that many miss is that by using 12.6 volts, you get a quieter tube as well.

Aug 8, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #975 of 1,191
I been chasing these 12SN7 TungSol black glass round plate tubes and finally acquired them from local Head-Fier. They are as good as Melz 1578 or even better. I have to give the edge to the TSsPXL_20230808_150254385 (2).jpgPXL_20230808_151957163 (2).jpg for beautiful vocals and mids. They are a tad fuller and forward than the Melzs and everything else is equal. TS 12SN7 + Gec A2900 = Beautiful sound.

You are going to be the death of me! I love it! :)

Congratulations mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back