microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Aug 8, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #976 of 1,191
Be it Hitachi, RCA, Sylvania, Tung Sol … in LTA MZ3 there’s something about 12SN7 versus 6SN7 and equivalent (even 1578 / 6N8S). Other than voltage, that shouldn’t be … but my ears love it. [According to principles of aerodynamics, a bumblebee cannot fly …]

Aug 8, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #977 of 1,191
To George Hincapie: are you using an extra-long ‘umbilical cord’ between the LPS and the MZ3? In a photograph from another thread, the two looked rather far apart.

Aug 8, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #978 of 1,191
I been chasing these 12SN7 TungSol black glass round plate tubes and finally acquired them from local Head-Fier. They are as good as Melz 1578 or even better. I have to give the edge to the TSsPXL_20230808_150254385 (2).jpgPXL_20230808_151957163 (2).jpg for beautiful vocals and mids. They are a tad fuller and forward than the Melzs and everything else is equal. TS 12SN7 + Gec A2900 = Beautiful sound.
Nice combo👍 I like my Tung Sol 12SN7s too!

Aug 10, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #979 of 1,191
I am on the fence to buy a Microzotl...
It is costly compared to my Sansui alpha 607i which drive my AKG K340 very well

Is someone know something about the coupling AKG K340 and the microzotl ?

The K340 are so good over my nine other headphone i dont use any of them anymore...

But the sansui alpha cost me 300 bucks... The microzotl3 cost more than 10 times more ...

The K340 is by far the hardest to drive headphone because two different cells electret and dynamic at 400 ohm each...

At 10 times the price of my Sansui i need an opinion about high impedance headphone and the ZOTL and especially the K340...

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #980 of 1,191

The K340 are so good over my nine other headphone i dont use any of them anymore...

But the sansui alpha cost me 300 bucks... The microzotl3 cost more than 10 times more ...
I really like my LTA MZ3, but if you are very satisfied with your vintage Sansui, why replace it?

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #981 of 1,191

The K340 is by far the hardest to drive headphone because two different cells electret and dynamic at 400 ohm each...

At 10 times the price of my Sansui i need an opinion about high impedance headphone and the ZOTL and especially the K340...
I truly love LTA MZ3. I do feel that, with its 2 ohm nominal output impedance, it does a better job with lower-impedance headphones (<= 50 ohms). If you want to go the tube h/p/a route, for AKG K340 I recommend Woo Audio WA2 - an OTL ($1499 new, $???? used).

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #982 of 1,191
I truly love LTA MZ3. I do feel that, with its 2 ohm nominal output impedance, it does a better job with lower-impedance headphones (<= 50 ohms). If you want to go the tube h/p/a route, for AKG K340 I recommend Woo Audio WA2 - an OTL ($1499 new, $???? used).
You are saying to use the MZ3 with lower ohm ratings but not higher? That would not make sense but I apologize if I am misunderstanding.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #983 of 1,191
You are saying to use the MZ3 with lower ohm ratings but not higher? That would not make sense but I apologize if I am misunderstanding.
• When I use high-impedance headphones (Beyer DT880: 600 ohms, Sennheiser: 300 ohms, ZMF dynamics: 300 ohms), I prefer their sound when driven by a higher output impedance OTL tube h/p/a. Examples are Woo WA2, Woo WA3.
• When I use those headphones with LTA MZ3, I sense a slight ‘restraint’, ‘absence of blossoming’ in the sound -- possibly due to the effective high ‘damping factor’ from high-Z headphones / low-Z amplifier.

Aug 10, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #984 of 1,191
You might also contact LTA about your specific headphone pairing. They’ve tried a lot of headphones with their gear, and are quite helpful. For a slightly more budget friendly option, you might consider the MZ2. Also, sometimes it’s necessary to filter the impressions of some of the more experienced just a little. Sometimes the differences they discuss are beyond subtle and based on personal preferences developed over years and hundreds of different pairings when you include all the permutations of headphone, amp and tube rolling. I’m not saying they don’t provide excellent information and wisdom. It’s just that sometimes we’re not ready for it yet.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #985 of 1,191
I really like my LTA MZ3, but if you are very satisfied with your vintage Sansui, why replace it?
Because the K340 are so extraordinary that i bet they could benefit from The ZOTl...
The Sansui alpha has no fault but a tube amplifier is different.... The only one which interest me is the ZOTl... I want long span life with cold tube... I dont want to roll tube either...

The K340 need the quietest amp and one able to sustain his needs... My only problem is this one : is the ZOTL ideal pairing ?

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #986 of 1,191
Because the K340 are so extraordinary that i bet they could benefit from The ZOTl...
The Sansui alpha has no fault but a tube amplifier is different.... The only one which interest me is the ZOTl... I want long span life with cold tube... I dont want to roll tube either...

The K340 need the quietest amp and one able to sustain his needs... My only problem is this one : is the ZOTL ideal pairing ?
That is up to your own ears. No one can decide that for you though opinions can be a helpful guide but just a guide.

I had a friend who built a speaker system and loved the sound. To me it was horrible. Mushy, overly warm, no detail and you couldn't tell where anything was. We all have preferences.

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #987 of 1,191
my problem is not the ZOTL technology ...

I am sure that i will love it...

My problem is i am stuck with the K340.... I will never buy another headphone to beat it.... It will be too costly anyway if it exist ... All my headphones are bad compared to it...

My problem is i want to know if the microzotl is able to drive them optimally ... but perhaps there is no K340 owner with a microzotl here...
Thanks for the replies...

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #988 of 1,191

Likely not. FYI, fellow Head-Fier and ‘Multiple Headphones’ thread contributor @Davidzak64 truly enjoys / raves about K340 when driven by his Luxman R-113 (vintage receiver) …

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #989 of 1,191

Welcome back my friend! Nice to see you're still on Head-Fi. 😉

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #990 of 1,191
Likely not. FYI, fellow Head-Fier and ‘Multiple Headphones’ thread contributor @Davidzak64 truly enjoys / raves about K340 when driven by his Luxman R-113 (vintage receiver) …
I'll be going to the Schiit meet on September 9 in NC. I'll get to hear what they have to offer. I'll be bringing the semi-hard to drive K340 with me. I'll report back with my findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back