microZOTL 3 by Linear Tube Audio. True High End Audio.
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #76 of 1,183
I'll be honest last year with a super sensitive ES 10 I wasn't impressed with the mZOTL2

But I heard the MZ3 this year and I was floored! Quite exceptional, likely one of the better tube headphone amps I heard their

May 1, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #77 of 1,183
I'll be honest last year with a super sensitive ES 10 I wasn't impressed with the mZOTL2

But I heard the MZ3 this year and I was floored! Quite exceptional, likely one of the better tube headphone amps I heard their
I think it also depends upon the tubes used. The MZ3 is a very refined amp though and totally delivers on the sound.

May 1, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #78 of 1,183
I found the MZ2 more a step sideways from the Schiit Saga at a significant increase in cost though heard some real potential in it. I believed that the secret behind the Schiit Saga was the stepped attenuator which made it so very transparent and open sounding. The MZ2 however was more powerful and holographic though with a narrower sound stage. The MZ3 took the best attributes of each and surpassed the transparency and refinement of the Saga so improved all around. I'm done with upgrades in my system as there's simply no way this can be bettered, at any cost :)

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #79 of 1,183
I found the MZ2 more a step sideways from the Schiit Saga at a significant increase in cost though heard some real potential in it. I believed that the secret behind the Schiit Saga was the stepped attenuator which made it so very transparent and open sounding. The MZ2 however was more power and holographic though a narrower sound stage. The MZ3 took the best attributes of each and beats the transparency and refinement of the Saga so improved all around. I'm done with upgrades in my system as there's simply no way this can be bettered, at any cost :)

Please I am not sure to understand, the preamplifier of Schiit the saga is only slightly behing the Microzotl2 ?

May 1, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #80 of 1,183
Please I am not sure to understand, the preamplifier of Schiit the saga is only slightly behing the Microzotl2 ?

No, I found it sonically different though roughly equal. I'm fairly flexible in my preference for sonics so to me it was a dead heat with each trading off pros and cons.

The Schiit Saga won't work correctly with every source and power amp though as its passive though in my system it was very close indeed.

The MZ3 however beats the pants off both of them. Easily the best I've ever had the pleasure of listening to music through.

May 12, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #81 of 1,183
FWIW, glad to hear everyone's positive experiences with the MZ3. I just today traded in my MZ2 (which I loved as both a preamp and headphone amp) towards a Microzotl preamplifier. Anyway, I hope y'all keep this thread alive and I will get back with my impressions once it gets here.

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #82 of 1,183
FWIW, glad to hear everyone's positive experiences with the MZ3. I just today traded in my MZ2 (which I loved as both a preamp and headphone amp) towards a Microzotl preamplifier. Anyway, I hope y'all keep this thread alive and I will get back with my impressions once it gets here.
Do you have some impressions? I had a MZ2, but sold it for a nice solid state hp amp. I miss the LTA richness, and I’m thinking about the MZ3. Do you like it?

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #83 of 1,183
Do you have some impressions? I had a MZ2, but sold it for a nice solid state hp amp. I miss the LTA richness, and I’m thinking about the MZ3. Do you like it?

I do...the low end really is incredible for a tube pre. I'm not a basshead, but it's an immediately noticeable improvement over the MZ2. It's just as lush/rich and holographic as the MZ2, if not a bit more. The electronic updates like the relay volume control and capacitative buttons are nifty. Still have mixed feelings whether it is "worth it" with regard to the price tag difference (overall SQ is still pretty close between the two in my book), but I got a pretty stellar deal so I'd still do it again if I had the chance.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #85 of 1,183
I do...the low end really is incredible for a tube pre. I'm not a basshead, but it's an immediately noticeable improvement over the MZ2. It's just as lush/rich and holographic as the MZ2, if not a bit more. The electronic updates like the relay volume control and capacitative buttons are nifty. Still have mixed feelings whether it is "worth it" with regard to the price tag difference (overall SQ is still pretty close between the two in my book), but I got a pretty stellar deal so I'd still do it again if I had the chance.

For me the improvement was definitely worth it. I moved from the Schiit Saga to the MZ2 and found while it was more holographic and had better impact it had a narrower and less open sound stage. The MZ3 combined the aspects I liked of both those stages with even greater transparency, bass and naturalness.

To be clear it's not a massive difference between any of these thought the MZ3 is the best I've tried, giving up nothing to anything I've used before.

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #86 of 1,183
Has anyone tried this amp with the Empyrean?
This guy doesn't talk about the MZ3 but is using it as you can see from the video. Also I use the MZ3 with the Abyss TC, not an easy to drive phone and the sound is superb (as it is with the other phones I have). Great layering, depth and musicality.

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #88 of 1,183
Oh man. After seeing all the posts comparing MZ3 and MZ2, I really wish I could do an A/B comparison. Any MZ3 owners in the SF Bay area who are willing to help out? :wink:

My desktop setup is MacBook Pro (Roon) -> Chord Dave -> LTA MZ2 (with NOS 12SN7 and LPS+) -> Focal Stellia / ZMF Eikon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back